Forums Kongregate

End of Kong as we know it ?

62 posts

Flag Post

http://www.kongregate.com/games/reloadedgames/apb-reloaded

I dont have much words for it, but I think the link will speak for itself. For me its a shame Kongregate is heading down this road.

Flag Post

Well, it’s a new thing that Kongregate’s doing/trying. (see link)

Here’s a quote from Jim too:

Adding downloadable titles brings a new level of gaming to core players looking for high-definition graphics with more options and content to select from

It’s nice to have this option for the players who do want it.

Flag Post

End… wouldn’t say that. Just a little add-on which is easily ignorable for those among us who come to Kongregate to play the sort of games we’d expect to find here.

Flag Post

There is never an end to Kong.

Flag Post

As long as downloadable games don’t ever become badge of the day and/or limited challenge material, I am completely okay with this addon.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MadJedi:

As long as downloadable games don’t ever become badge of the day and/or limited challenge material, I am completely okay with this addon.

Mods are ok with everything.

Flag Post

Well, Kongregate has had downloadable games for five months now and you apparently didn’t even notice they were there, so if they’re destroying the site, it’s apparently really, really subtle.

Flag Post
Originally posted by graveyard890:
Originally posted by MadJedi:

Mods are ok with everything.

I’m okay with that.

Not everyone comes on Kongregate specifically for games anyway, I’ve pretty much ignored that feature.

Flag Post

It did not really bring much of a effect on Kong. It’s just business. The lot of play-to-win MMO’s is really the main issue, but that’s been ranted on for a long time so yeah.. Kong is pretty much still stable.

Flag Post

This is only expanding the Kongregate community.

I just hope these games don’t get in the “Hot New Games” section.

Flag Post

Yeah, I don’t see how this could hurt Kongregate.

At worst, no one notices and everything stays the same (as it seems to largely have done), at best, these games will draw even more people to Kong.

I played Bomb Buddies and thought it was good. But I don’t have time to play games like that regularly—that’s why I play on Kong.

Flag Post

This is not an issue because I don’t even know where to look for these downloadable games.

Flag Post

So they edited the virus tag score down so it wouldn’t show? And judging by the games score and the thousands of hate comments, they also tampered with the score as well. There is just no way that score is real.

Flag Post

Why not give away downloadable games on a gaming website? It’s simply another category of the many games we provide on the site.

So they edited the virus tag score down so it wouldn’t show?

Tags are in place to define a game. APB Reloaded is not a “Virus” type game, so it doesn’t need that tag. Users vote on tags, but we do manage them for correctness.

There is just no way that score is real.

Do you mean the rating? If so, it is real.

Flag Post

With the amount of 1 star ratings this game must be getting, 4.4 can not be a real score.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MechanicalKnight:

With the amount of 1 star ratings this game must be getting, 4.4 can not be a real score.

You’re assuming that the game is getting sufficient 1s to offset the higher ratings. Without seeing the actual numbers, you can’t be sure of that. Many people who post angrily about a game won’t bother to rate it, regardless of the effect of downrating the game (I’m an example of this – I make it a point never to rate things). Conversely, many people who rate a game highly don’t bother commenting.

Flag Post

This isn’t exactly a typical game. I highly doubt most people are bothering to download and play the game before rating it, and just rating it a 1 for that. The fact that its a mmo makes it even worse. So even if the few people who play the game all rate it a 5/5, I still imagine the score would be no higher then a 4.0.

Its also currently the second highest rated shooter game on kong.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

You’re assuming that the game is getting sufficient 1s to offset the higher ratings. Without seeing the actual numbers, you can’t be sure of that. Many people who post angrily about a game won’t bother to rate it, regardless of the effect of downrating the game (I’m an example of this – I make it a point never to rate things). Conversely, many people who rate a game highly don’t bother commenting.

I’m rather surprised by the high rating too. Since Kongregate rigged the “Virus” tag, you can’t really be sure if that’s the real rating. They could have boosted the rating so more people would buy the game (Thus giving them more commission). I’m pretty sure the actual rating is around 1, at most that game can only get a 2.

If you don’t believe me. A game getting 4.4 on Kongregate means the game is almost flawless (If you’ve been on Kong for a long time you would know what I mean). That game is really just an average game. There isn’t any thing that really makes it special. I think the rating is rigged. If this post ever gets modified/deleted it definitely means it’s rigged.

Flag Post

They may check that you’ve downloaded the game prior to submitting any 1 star rating (or perhaps all ratings). That helps slow the issues caused by mass down-raters to downloadable and MMO games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

They may check that you’ve downloaded the game prior to submitting any 1 game rating. That helps slow the issues caused by mass down-raters to downloadable and MMO games.

Well that would make more sense, but this game still isn’t that amazing to get a 4.4 .

Flag Post

People who have downloaded and installed a game are also more “committed” to a game at that point. There are a lot of stubborn types who won’t admit to themselves that they’ve made mistakes, so even if they aren’t satisfied with a game, they’ll convince themselves that they are simply because they have gone through the trouble of installing it.

For gamers with such a large amount of browser-based games available to them, an installation is a big hassle.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

People who have downloaded and installed a game are also more “committed” to a game at that point. There are a lot of stubborn types who won’t admit to themselves that they’ve made mistakes, so even if they aren’t satisfied with a game, they’ll convince themselves that they are simply because they have gone through the trouble of installing it.

For gamers with such a large amount of browser-based games available to them, an installation is a big hassle.

I see what you mean but why would they bother coming back to rate the game? I think only the people most annoyed by the game would come back and give it a 1. People that were absolutely amazed by the game would come and give it a 5. There really won’t be any in-betweens. People usually only go to the extremes.

I strongly feel more people would give this a 1 for many reasons.

Flag Post

This whole thing reminds me of the ad games they used to show on armorgames, with blatantly fake 9/10 and 10/10 scores. The major difference of course being that armorgames didn’t put those in the same exact place as all the real games.

Flag Post

I was thinking the same thing.

Flag Post

Presumably they’ll ignore the ratings from people who haven’t downloaded it, and since the people who know they won’t like it and rate 1 won’t download it, those ratings are ignored, leaving the higher ratings from the people who thought they’d like it and went for it. From the video I can tell I won’t like it, but I’m not going to download 7GB to be sure.

In response to a comment, Phoenix00017 said: "Actually, it’s not an ad. Kongregate added support for download games through the site. The games are tied to your Kongregate account, and could potentially get badges in the future. I’m sorry if this was confusing to players, but it is a game that we have tested and approved. "

Will games like this really get badges? :/ I know internet speeds are getting faster, but that’s a huge download.