Forums Kongregate

End of Kong as we know it ? page 3

62 posts

Flag Post

End of Kongregate? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat.
That being said, pretty please don’t make a big-butt badge for us wannabe completionists who don’t have enough CPU power to turn a hamster wheel D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

i believe the ratings were wiped out a couple days ago. i was asking phoenix about this in the game chat, specifically about why the game kept appearing at the top of the new games – apparently this was because of a bug that to fix involved wiping out some/all of the game’s data (i am paraphrasing greatly because i don’t remember the exact details).

anyways, my understanding is that ratings were wiped. i believe if those who already voted previously were to re-vote, the rating would come back down (but I don’t know that for certain).

also, there is no way the game is a 4.4. on metacritic, it’s a 56/100, and the user score is only 5.8. when the game was released the first time, it was a disaster.

Metacritic is possibly the most useless and unreliable rating site on the internet.

People go there with agendas, and rarely to give actual critique of the game. At least on kong the number of people with agendas(which mostly consists of anti-mmo people) is much smaller. I would trust the kong rating over the metacritic rating in a heartbeat.

Flag Post
Originally posted by zAlbee:
Originally posted by DannyDaNinja:

It’s just an ad, it’s pathetic that this has happened to kong >_>

Extremely unfair that these downloadable games are going to be immune from 1/5 bombs

Also gamestop is sounding to sound like the illuminati of kongregate.

This is exactly the kind of reason why your rating should not count. It’s bad enough that people already rate Flash games 1/5 without playing them. Now people want to rate, not because the game is bad, but because they don’t like idea of Kongregate offering downloadable games? The rating should reflect the game, not Kongregate’s policies, and not the difficulty of the badges.

That said, it does seem like the existing Kong user base (young, casual gamer, doesn’t know much about PC gaming/hardware) is the wrong demographic for a game like APB Reloaded (FPS, high sys. requirement, a modicum of intelligence required to install it). Just take a look at the game comments to see what I mean.

I agree that the rating should reflect the quality of the game itself, all I was saying that it is unfair to other games that they are not immune to 1/5 bombs and APB is.

Flag Post

Allowing a developer to tag when a user can vote will eventually lead to exploitation. Even though its clearly stated in the kong documents that developers should only use this tool so games would be immune to “voting bots” or even 1/5 bombs, some are clearly using this in very late states of the game, allowing for just a very few addicted players to cast a vote. This will inevitably lead to incoherence between score and comments, leading people into thinking its fishy.
We shouldn’t just blame the users for thinking something like that thou or even generalize them into groups saying “they are the ones who are wrong, they are kids, blah blah blah”. They are the customers and should be treated as such. If they were all trolls I wouldn’t have such a wonderful community in my game as I do now.
As a developer I always say: If your game or website is being “exploited” frequently, its not a user problem. Its your problem.

Flag Post

Further more, expecting a player to download a 7GB game or go through a tedious registration process is basically the same as expecting a player on my game to reach level 2 so they can vote. Of course doing that would be complete unethical according to the guidelines, but this is what is happening right now in many games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:
Originally posted by wattro:

i believe the ratings were wiped out a couple days ago. i was asking phoenix about this in the game chat, specifically about why the game kept appearing at the top of the new games – apparently this was because of a bug that to fix involved wiping out some/all of the game’s data (i am paraphrasing greatly because i don’t remember the exact details).

anyways, my understanding is that ratings were wiped. i believe if those who already voted previously were to re-vote, the rating would come back down (but I don’t know that for certain).

also, there is no way the game is a 4.4. on metacritic, it’s a 56/100, and the user score is only 5.8. when the game was released the first time, it was a disaster.

Metacritic is possibly the most useless and unreliable rating site on the internet.

People go there with agendas, and rarely to give actual critique of the game. At least on kong the number of people with agendas(which mostly consists of anti-mmo people) is much smaller. I would trust the kong rating over the metacritic rating in a heartbeat.

i think that’s a bit of a stretch. metacritic’s algorithm isn’t much beyond collecting review scores, and putting more weight on reviewers that have consistently been inline with review scores and less weight on reviewers that are consistently off the mark. for review sites that don’t use a 0-100 scale, they convert it to a 0-100 scale with fairly decent results. (if you want proof of this, just do a check on a few reviews)

also, you can simply look down the list of reviews they’ve added. those come from the sites, themselves. they don’t exclude reviews nor do they preclude you from seeing the pieces of the pie.

overall, they are a pretty good indicator. not perfect, but pretty good.

i trust them to tell me what reviewers thought aboot the game in general (because that’s what they do, collected and weighted from all of the reviews) rather than from just a single site (that might come from a reviewer that’s been bought, or didn’t have his coffee yet or has a personal vendetta against a game or studio). btw, i’ve seen all of those conditions happen.

or you could just check some of the recent reviews, youtube has some from within the last week.

Flag Post
Originally posted by HerrSchnuff:

ITT: People overreacting.

nice try, GameStop employee

I wish.. :(

Now that’s what I’d call a really low career aspiration…

Flag Post

The CEO of GameStop is still an employee of GameStop.

Flag Post

I don’t see any harm on this, another way to monetize and some player can like this.

I only hope there will never be badge for those games.

Flag Post

Dunno if you’ve noticed, but right now pretty much any job that pays even half your bills gets snapped up instantly, especially if you happen to be a recent grad and don’t have a ridiculously long resume to compete with laid off experienced workers. Even getting into retail is pretty much dumb luck.

Flag Post

unless you are a blonde white girl

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:

Dunno if you’ve noticed, but right now pretty much any job that pays even half your bills gets snapped up instantly, especially if you happen to be a recent grad and don’t have a ridiculously long resume to compete with laid off experienced workers. Even getting into retail is pretty much dumb luck.

Dunno if you’ve noticed, not everybody is american. At least here in Germany it’s more common to not flip burgers or sell games to kiddies if you’ve gotten a proper education.