Forums Kongregate

Request for a Feature. Online save.

41 posts

Flag Post

Hello. I was wondering, would it be a possibility to add a some kind of feature that would let you save the Kongregate cookie or game saves to your account? Like if it doesn’t take too much space or is it does maybe have something like 3 slots where you can put saves from different game.

It is a request, but mostly I’m curious if it would be possible, because that’s something I’ve never seen on any other site. I believe that it would draw a lot more people to Kongregate if it was possible and could be implemented.

Thanks
~Amodia

Flag Post

A single flash save doesn’t take a lot of space, but a bunch of them do. If we compile all the saves from all the users on the website, that’d be a lot of necessary storage space. Also, your suggestion will have more chance being noticed here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Taylorbee:
Originally posted by MadJedi:

[…]Also, your suggestion will have more chance being noticed here.

Don’t listen to him, that’s a lie. No one ever reads that thread. :)

I think it’s more of the thing that the Suggestions thread keeps things organized, so we don’t have dozens of threads popping up in this forum all the time. Sometimes they merit their own discussion, sometimes not so much.

I think this was brought up before. It’d probably be best to save your save files in a folder on your desktop. (or even DropBox)

Flag Post

Thanks for the suggestions, that’s what I’m doing atm(dropbox). But I thought that others that don’t have the knowhow or will to take all those steps would benefit from having perhaps then a few slots where you could save. However, would it even be possible to do something like that or is there some conflict with the games perhaps?

Flag Post

To address the actual suggestion. It’s something that Kongregate really wants to implement, but there’s some concerns. A lot of people reference ArmorGames, but there’s a lot less games and (I think?) less users on the site, so it’s not as expensive for them to provide that service. Expense is a huge concern for Kongregate, but it is something that is still under consideration.

Flag Post

Ah, yeah of course. I can understand about the cost.
How about then making it an extra feature that you can buy, like for the cost of 50-100 Kreds and you’ll be given a few slots, or something like that, where you could save? I for one would be very interested in it. I’m often on several different computers so being able to just log in and have the saves online on the site(because at times it’s not possible to download and do it manually) would be just great.

I’m sure that there’s a lot of people that feel the same way about it as me after losing several hours of progress to a browser history clean or simply having to switch computer.
There is probably on your side also a concern about the the cost of implementing it and if it would really be worth it. So I’d suggest writing something about it on the main page and perhaps create a vote/poll about it so you could see how many would be interested and that way more easily being able to decide how to go about it.

I would at least check the “I’m very interested” box :)

Thanks
~Amodia

Flag Post

this is already possible in p2p

Flag Post
Originally posted by NicolBolas:

No it isn’t.

Flag Post

The only time your save files is saved online is when the developer has their own servers that host the game, the save file is stored on that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

No it isn’t.

If by p2p he means shitty pay2win MMOs, then yes. They all store user data server-side, so it’s not that hard.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Seizan_7:
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

No it isn’t.

If by p2p he means shitty pay2win MMOs, then yes. They all store user data server-side, so it’s not that hard.

Not the same way that data is stored client-side. Which it is possible to remotely store the client data on a server, but that is entirely different.

MMOs don’t (or rather shouldn’t) allow any client to server saving. They [should] handle all transactions on the server and validate them there. The proposed system here would bypass any serverside validation and just literally store the saved “sols” on a server.

Flag Post

all you really would need to do is make it a k+ option, and have a limit of savefiles(maybe 100?) per person.

I think that would be just what is needed to get more people to buy K+…I certainly would.

Flag Post

I really, really wanted to make a new thread, but I guess that’s obnoxious beyond belief. :)

Anyways, so these are a few ideas for how Kongregate can go about providing this feature and being able to afford it:

Option #1

Bundle it with K+. There isn’t really anything associated with K+ that has an extra cost for the site, except for ad revenue. Only the staff would know the figure on that and how much of an impact it has on the revenue generated from K+. Besides that, the only costs associated with K+ is from development and those should have been absorbed by now. Kongregate should be able to offer a cloud storage system with K+ for no additional cost. If an additional cost is necessary, it should be marginal, no more then a $5 increase per month, grandfathered in.

Option #2

A subscription type service. There’s two ways of doing this:

1. No free aspect at all. For a period of time (could be yearly like K+ or monthly), you can subscribe to the cloud storage service. A monthly cost would be nice between the low end of $2/month and $5/month. A yearly cost could be somewhere between $20/month (since $2/month * 12 = $24/year) to $50/year (since $5/month * 12 = $60/year), but $50 a month is really high.

2. Freemium. Offer everyone the ability to save between 3 to 10 games for free. For a price (mentioned above, probably) they can have unlimited amount of games saved. Or, it could be bracketed: 50 games for $2/month, 200 games for $5/month, 500 games for $10/month, etc.

Potential services:

I’m not very familiar with Google and Microsoft’s cloud services, although I do know they offer them. However, I do know that Amazon Web Services (AWS) is the industry leader and hosts such services as Netflix, Instagram and Pinterest. As well, AWS is in heavy competition with Google (mostly them) and others, so their prices are constantly being lowered. I looked at it and tried to figure it out, but here is the AWS pricing calculator. Hopefully someone with a more technical background can figure out the approximate cost per month.

Another potential service to use is Bitcasa. They provide infinite storage for very reasonable prices. Currently they only support consumer accounts, but they are working on APIs for developers, which Kongregate should be able to utilize for this type of service.

This isn’t perfect, since I’m sure I’m missing a lot of information and didn’t think of all types of methods of providing the service, but it’s a good head start. I know that a lot of the Kongregate staff want to see this happen and they are talking about it. Hopefully if we do some of the leg work in figuring out the logistics of the implementation that will give them the push to make this happen.

[Edit: Yes, I know I didn’t address the fact that games aren’t currently coded to take advantage of such a feature. I forgot about that until after I posted this, and I don’t really think I should get into it now. I don’t really know what to say about it, either.]

Flag Post

I blame Chrome for the recent increase in the number of threads about cloud save.

Flag Post

If online save is going to be charged, I will quit my account now and play all games at AG.

And the point is, there is more people playing at AG right now. They can do it, why can’t we?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pulsaris:

If online save is going to be charged, I will quit my account now and play all games at AG.

Why? Surely the offering of a new feature—even if it comes for a fee—can’t hurt your website experience any, can it? What is being taken away from you that would cause you to leave?

Flag Post

I don’t think all games have cloud storage on ArmorGames, either. From the impression I’ve gotten, it’s sponsored games only.

Flag Post

Just an idea for this. why not make it a service for K+?
it would be something to entice people to get it and wouldn’t be to costly

Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:

That’s one of the things I suggested.

wouldn’t be to costly

How do you know?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

That’s one of the things I suggested.

wouldn’t be to costly

How do you know?

Not saying that it might not cost to much, but i’m allmost sure that the cost of K+ would outweigh the price of the servers for such a thing, and not everyone would use it anyway.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:
Originally posted by Pulsaris:

Why? Surely the offering of a new feature—even if it comes for a fee—can’t hurt your website experience any, can it? What is being taken away from you that would cause you to leave?

Because it signifies that kongregate doesn’t give a fuck about free players, especially when they are doing nothing right now.

I don’t think all games have cloud storage on ArmorGames, either. From the impression I’ve gotten, it’s sponsored games only.

And let’s say that most of the people play the sponsored games only. At least they use their ad profit to do something good for the users.

AG got some best developers out there for a reason.

Flag Post

How does it signify that they don’t care about free players? Especially with the addition of a cloud storage feature. That makes no sense. As racefan said, their user experience is not impacted, at all.

Flag Post

How does it signify that they don’t care about free players? Especially with the addition of a cloud storage feature. That makes no sense. As racefan said, their user experience is not impacted, at all.

Because you don’t need to backup the save files manually, I suppose?

Flag Post

That’s why you’d leave Kongregate? Because on ArmorGames you don’t need to manually back-up and on Kongregate you do? Seriously?

Flag Post

It’s already unfair when I got unlimited flash object storage without CCleaner or stuff like that, but my saves still disappeared. Now you say that paid players can have secure save while free players can’t, isn’t it more unfair?