Forums Kongregate

Account saves

8 posts

Flag Post

Will there be a feature to keep save files on your account, like Armor games?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

To address the actual suggestion. It’s something that Kongregate really wants to implement, but there’s some concerns. A lot of people reference ArmorGames, but there’s a lot less games and (I think?) less users on the site, so it’s not as expensive for them to provide that service. Expense is a huge concern for Kongregate, but it is something that is still under consideration.

Flag Post

To address the actual suggestion. It’s something that Kongregate really wants to implement, but there’s some concerns. A lot of people reference ArmorGames, but there’s a lot less games and (I think?) less users on the site, so it’s not as expensive for them to provide that service. Expense is a huge concern for Kongregate, but it is something that is still under consideration.

Make it only apply to badged games.

Make it only apply to K+

Done.

Flag Post

No. The problem is not the cost, and never has been. If you do the math (as many people have done before when this topic has come up), the amount of space that online saves would take up is just not that substantial.

The problem is this: Armor Games’s system requires the developer to add the usage of the appropriate API into their game. Since all of the games which support online saving on Armor Games are sponsored by AG (as far as I can tell — correct me if I’m wrong), it’s easy enough for them to require that the developer add it in. Kongregate, though, has no such leverage — even if they implemented their own online saving system, they would then have to get all of the developers to use it, and that wouldn’t be an easy task; it would may even be the case that AG-sponsored games would require that online saving remain an AG-exclusive feature, to encourage people to play there.

This is not to say it’s impossible, of course, just that it’s not an easy hurdle to clear, either.

Flag Post

Cost is partially an issue, since you’re not just paying for the hardware, but also the software, the time to assemble the infrastructure, maintenance, and so on. Would they need to hire someone new to look after all of this? There’s a lot more than just paying for a box for storage, though overall it’s not like it’s thousands upon thousands for said box (unless they need to hire someone new, then it most definitely is). All in all, it’s certainly possible, but I’d rather a more functional site than something that can do what email/dropbox/flash drives have been able to do all along.

Also the integration thing would be a bit of an issue, since what happens to the games already on the site? Surely if it needs to be an API thing they can’t be expected to all upgrade, and would it be mandatory? If every developer needs to do it, that created an issue with some of them maybe not wanting to put in that effort, and if it’s not mandatory then users who don’t know that will complain and berate the games and developers.

It would be a nice thing to have, but if you really want to play on multiple computers, I’d suggest just learning how to go fetch the game data and transfer it manually, it’s not a complex process at all.

Flag Post

Yeah, you’re right, I have no doubt that when you add up the costs of developer time, maintenance, support (for when things inevitably go wrong and someone loses their save), etc., it’s not going to be cheap. But I think the cost of the storage itself (unless I’ve greviously miscalculated) is a very small fraction of that, so it seems that focusing on the space as a reason why it could/wouldn’t happen is barking up the wrong tree.

Flag Post

I’m no expert in programming, but isn’t it simply just uploading the .sol files to a cloud server? If the game has a save system to goes to chat.kongregate, why is it so difficult for it to be sent to a cloud server?

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

I’m no expert in programming, but isn’t it simply just uploading the .sol files to a cloud server? If the game has a save system to goes to chat.kongregate, why is it so difficult for it to be sent to a cloud server?

Its difficult getting developers to do so. Especially if that only works on kongregate.

Also, we’ve had this discussion so many times in so many threads. Might be great just to link to the original thread and bump that instead.