Forums Kongregate

Rating Games?

15 posts

Flag Post

When you rate a game, what criteria do you use?

For example: Game X requires a keyboard. I don’t like to play games that require a keyboard. Do I rate Game X with a 1 star or don’t rate at all?

I suppose the real question is, what does the game rating affect?

If the rating affects my recommendations, then I should rate the game with a 1 star to get better recommendations.

If the rating affects the game developer, I shouldn’t rate at all.

Flag Post

It’s actually up to you. I don’t really rate 1 anywhere. I only use the rating system when the Game is good. (Mostly when the Graphics and the Gameplay’s good to be exact) Also, it doesn’t affect anything in my opinion. Some people rate 1 even when the Game is awesome, haha. I’d like to add that, it gives the game a better look. Only if the rating is high of course.

Flag Post

Energy? 1/5. pay2win? 1/5. Crappy graphics and still takes all resources and lags like hell? 1/5. Requires download of additional plugins (Unity or other crap)? 1/5. Awful gameplay? 1/5.

Flag Post

For example: Game X requires a keyboard. I don’t like to play games that require a keyboard. Do I rate Game X with a 1 star or don’t rate at all?

People rate based on any number of arbitrary criteria, but I believe that you should rate the game based on its own merits, without respect to artificial limitations based on liking or disliking a particular genre of game. For example, I hate shooter games. Yet if I find a shooter that is very well-done, I’ll still rate it a 5, even though I may not actually like it very much.

If the rating affects my recommendations, then I should rate the game with a 1 star to get better recommendations.

It affects both. However, the recommendation engine is highly flawed, often giving inaccurate recommendations. Therefore, I think rating games should be primarily designed to provide feedback to the developer on whether or not you believe their game is well-made. (And if you rate a game without badges, your rating should also provide feedback on whether or not you believe the game is good enough to receive badges.)

Flag Post

I don’t really use a set criteria. At one time I tried to use a system taking five points into account, but it just didn’t work for me.

Now I just go with how I feel at the time. If I have lots of fun playing a game I’ll give it a 5. If a game isn’t fun, it’ll get a lower rating.

I also change my rating quite frequently. For example, Renegade Racing annoyed me greatly at one point so it was a 3, but after a bit of playing I grew to love it so it got a 5.

And outside my normal rating system are badly-made resource-hogs, cash-grabs and Papa games, which get 1s.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SilverChanneL:

It’s actually up to you. I don’t really rate 1 anywhere. I only use the rating system when the Game is good. (Mostly when the Graphics and the Gameplay’s good to be exact)

This is exactly how I am rating.

Flag Post

i generally just use what the rating system says when you hover over it…

5 = loved it, 4 = really liked it, 3 = liked it, 2 = didn’t like it, 1 = hated it

most games get 2s or 3s. the good ones get 4s. very few get 5s. garbage gets 1s

for developers that consistently fail to deliver new or interesting experiences, i tend to rate them harsher (papa’s games, undefined and his inability to learn to design a UI, nerdook and his inability to make a game that doesn’t make you grind the same levels over and over again in almost the exact same way)

as far as game feedback, i’ll sum it up in a comment – many developers read their comments, even though some don’t like it. :p

Flag Post
Originally posted by curiousparker:

When you rate a game, what criteria do you use?

Don’t rate at all if you just don’t like that kind of games. It is like saying “I don’t like puzzle games, even if they seem to be awesome, so I rate them 1.” Rating affects the developers. The ratings 3.99 and 4.00 have a 300 Kongregate points difference between them.

For me, it is like this:

Magnificent game, loved it: 5
Great game, liked it: 4
Not bad, not very good either: 3
Can be considered as a “game”: 2
Crap: 1

You may change the ratings of games if you want. A rating of 5 may drop to 4 because the game got grindy as hell or it glitched and erased my strongest pet (Don’t change your pets too often in Castaway 2.)

Flag Post

I don’t really give 2 or 3 star ratings, I really only rate games that I either like, or really hate. And even with the games that I like, I’ll usually only rate the game if it has a lower average rating than the rating I’m giving it. E.g. EBF4 I quite like, would probably give a 4 or a 5, but I’m not going to bother giving it a rating because it does not need it.

Flag Post

Thank ya’ll for the replies. These really helped.

Flag Post

just rate it 5, get your point and move
site already suks

Flag Post
Originally posted by Elck:

site already suks

You get a point on any rating…yes?

Flag Post

well i guess i’m a rate-a-holic hehe!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Elck:

site already suks

Well, at least you don’t harm the developers that way.
Still, that’s BS behaviour.

Question: why do you play on a game site that sucks? Go find one that doesn’t suck and play there. The time you are spending on entertainment is important time you will never get back. Spend it somewhere where you can really enjoy yourself.

I try to keep it somewhat objective.
I consider the graphics, sound and especially gameplay features like the controls. And I try to compare the game to similar games to stay consistent and fair. AND I only rate a game when I feel that I am able to rate it. That mostly boils down to playing it long enough to forming a good opinion on it. If I only play a game for five minutes to get the easy Badge of the Day and move on I will most likely not rate it.
But when it comes to rating games you cannot just be objective. It’s entertainment and entertainment is always about you too. If a game is technically average but manages to move me in some way, e.g. by having a great story this might boost the rating, because I love great stories.
I also really like it when developers experiment to give us new gameplay ideas. An experimental game with decent gameplay can also get a very good rating from me, even if other aspects like graphics or sound are not that great.
And if a game is simply fun and manages to keep me genuinely entertained (repetitive quests in RPGs do not count as genuine entertainment) it will definitely get a good rating. The “objective” aspects of my system basically make the difference between 4/5 or 5/5 there. If it is tonnes of fun it will get a straight 5/5, though.

There are also instances where I give games a higher rating then I would usually give: if a game deserves a 3/5 but for some reason stands at 2/5 (e.g. the first version was heavily bugged, but updates solved these issues. People who rated didn’t come back to change their rating accordingly, though.) I will rate it higher.

I never rate games lower than they deserve to be rated on my scale.
That just doesn’t seem fair to me.

Flag Post

Sometime’s i just make 5/5 always even if i didn’t play that game… lol