Forums Kongregate

ratings fraud

18 posts

Flag Post

does someone want to fix/address the ratings fraud going on with [Removed by Forum Mod]

i think the dev created a bunch of level 1 accounts to upvote the game. apparently he’s been accused of it previously, as well.

Flag Post

We take rating manipulation extremely seriously and have a lot of systems in place to keep it from affecting a game’s rating.

Also, please don’t call out specific users in the forums. If you think someone is using alts to inflate their game’s rating, send an email to support@kongregate.com and we’ll look into it for sure.

Flag Post

Well, tough… I did :) and thanks for looking into it.

btw, I’ve noticed that games are starting to appear on the Hot New Games list with having achieved fewer # of gameplays than I’m used to. Am I seeing things? Or has Kong relaxed their thresholds in regards to what shows up on the Hot New Games? I was going to post this a couple weeks ago, but wasn’t sure at the time… (At the time I thought that possibly on Sundays the min-rating thresshold was lowered to 3.5… lol) but now I’m reasonably sure that something has been adjusted.

Flag Post

If my memory serves me, the Hot New Games are hand picked, not automatically picked from new games, so it might just be that some games are getting highlighted now that might be lower in rating than before, or that there aren’t as many highly rated games. There have also been a slightly lower number of games being uploaded daily recently (from what I’ve seen), so that might have contributed.

Flag Post

i don’t believe that’s how it works.

i am pretty sure it’s related to some ratings & number of gameplays threshold. i’ve seen games pop-in and pop-out… so if that’s the case, then devs are handpicking them, and then hand-not picking them at a pretty good rate.

plus why wouldn’t you automate something that easily automatable.

Flag Post

According to Greg they are hand picked because it’s the only ‘editorial’ part of the front page.

Originally posted by greg:

We know it’s kind of weird to do this, but Hot New Games is the only editorial part of the front page where we can put games that don’t have badges, so when we want to promote an older game it’s the only option.

Flag Post

Oh, I see there is some confusion.

I rarely use the Main Page, but yes, there is a Hot New Games section there as well as being a… Hot New Games when you highlight the Games tab at the top of any page (which is what I am actually talking aboot). It actually leads to newest top rated games (http://www.kongregate.com/top-rated-games?sort=newest).

/also, if you follow the (see all) link on the Hot New Games widget on the main page, it leads to the same link. So yes, they might handpick for that section, but that’s just the handpicked portion of the overall Hot New Games.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

i don’t believe that’s how it works.

i am pretty sure it’s related to some ratings & number of gameplays threshold. i’ve seen games pop-in and pop-out… so if that’s the case, then devs are handpicking them, and then hand-not picking them at a pretty good rate.

plus why wouldn’t you automate something that easily automatable.

Hmm.. you’re right.

Flag Post

The rating threshold for the top-rated games list has always been 3.5.

If there is a # of plays threshold for that list (though I’ve never been aware of one), it is below 1000, as the lowest number of plays for a game on the list is 964.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

According to the Developer Page it’s rating of at least a 3.7. That might have changed though.

Hot New Games
Gamers looking for the lastest games know where to find them: the Hot New Games section of the Kongregate homepage. Games that receive a rating of at least 3.70 are eligible to be featured and enjoy a deluge of traffic rushing in. But multiplayer devs should not fear: we’ll work with you to ensure your servers can handle the load.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

If there is a # of plays threshold for that list (though I’ve never been aware of one), it is below 1000, as the lowest number of plays for a game on the list is 964.

I saw 67 gameplays the other day on the highly rated new games. this game was 4.8 rated at the time… Mad Skeletons

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
I saw 67 gameplays the other day on the highly rated new games. this game was 4.8 rated at the time… Mad Skeletons

The ratio of people who play a game to the people who rate it is super duper low. So after 67 gameplays (which is basically nothing) there’s a good chance that the dev and his twitter/blog/etc members played it first and rated it highly. Having that high of a rating immediately after coming out of judgment isn’t really incredibly rare and it gets sorted out fairly quickly (as it did here). Unless I’m missing something entirely, your whole witch-hunt against this dev seems to be without much merit. There doesn’t seem to be any real evidence of fraud of any kind and the rating for the game feels pretty accurate right now.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

We take rating manipulation extremely seriously and have a lot of systems in place to keep it from affecting a game’s rating.

Also, please don’t call out specific users in the forums. If you think someone is using alts to inflate their game’s rating, send an email to support@kongregate.com and we’ll look into it for sure.

I’m glad.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

The ratio of people who play a game to the people who rate it is super duper low. So after 67 gameplays (which is basically nothing) there’s a good chance that the dev and his twitter/blog/etc members played it first and rated it highly. Having that high of a rating immediately after coming out of judgment isn’t really incredibly rare and it gets sorted out fairly quickly (as it did here). Unless I’m missing something entirely, your whole witch-hunt against this dev seems to be without much merit. There doesn’t seem to be any real evidence of fraud of any kind and the rating for the game feels pretty accurate right now.

i haven’t witch-hunted the dev at all – i couldn’t even tell you his name… thanks though for accusing me of something i’m not guilty of. i’m just here to point out that this happened with this game. and it looks like you acknowledge that it does happen somewhat frequently.

regardless, the fact is, he gamed your system.

(and as i just did now actually look at the dev), it looks like you guys badged one of his recent games… Bubble Sky… look what happened to that. it’d be an interesting experiment… badge this game, see where it’s warranted/merited rating lands. if you do, and the game stays around 3.6, i’ll apologize.

Flag Post

He didn’t game the system, at all.

Take the game I uploaded, for example. When you upload a game, it appears prominently on your profile and in all the feeds of all the people that have added you. So, naturally, a lot of my friends saw the game right away. They rated it pretty highly, either because they felt it was legitimate or because they were my friend (these types of ratings happen a lot, go both ways and will never go away). Within the first day, once it was out of judgement, the rating was something like 4.6. I was in Hot New Games (which should be renamed to Hot Games, by the way) and was too of the category in relevant tags.

Now what’s the rating? 3.15. As rawismojo said, it works itself out. As it gets more exposure, it’s more likely that people that don’t know you will see it and they have no reason to rate it anything but what it deserves. Some games come out of the gate red hot, but the longer they’re around, the more they cool off.

[Edit: It does kind of seem like you went after this developer, just my personal opinion. However, rawismojo never said you couldn’t him the developer’s name. He told you to e-mail support instead of publicly calling out another user. That is something Kongregate has and (hopefully) will never allow to happen. Such matters (whatever the case may be) are always best to be handled privately.]

Flag Post

how do you figure i went after the dev? i didn’t even know his name until after it was mentioned that i was going after the dev. i went after the action around the game… look, i’m not trying to create some war here, i am just stating what happened. you can doubt it all you want.

i’m a pretty frequent kong user, and i’ve been on the site for a fairly long time… i haven’t seen a game do that in some time, and i’m not the only one who saw it. did your game get highly rated by level 1 accounts? do you think it’s weird that negative comments (not just ones that were saying the dev inflated his rating) were significantly downvoted, some even a few votes below the don’t show threshold? did you even play dude’s game on the first day? if not, how can you conclusively say either way? did you witness it not happen? did you witness that it did happen? have you done the research? just because you are a kongfanboy, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. :p

also, imho, Hot New Games is Hot New Games… the big hint is in the link (http://www.kongregate.com/top-rated-games?sort=newest) See that.. sort = newest. Just because the list goes on til the start of kong time doesn’t mean it’s not sorted. ;) Hot Games would mean something entirely different… it would probably mean what’s getting the most gameplays