Forums Kongregate

So now that BetterKongregate is basically dead...

11 posts

Flag Post

Given that BetterKong is essentially on its death bed and your updates have broken scripts again, might you consider implementing some of the core functions into Kong yourself—given the large number of users who rely on them to properly enjoy using Kongregate?

I’m talking simple things like a reply command such as /r, which we all love, and timestamps—c’mon, how do we not already have such?
Maybe even consider the PM notification—pretty much every modern website with messaging has such functionality?

While I’m writing this, can we get a built in way to not have the chat always scaling vertically according to the game? I find that I can’t play a number of games because they make chat far too small to consider even remotely acceptable—when I can only see 3-4 messages at a time, that’s just terrible.

EDIT:
I just remembered something… You know the character limit? I fully agree with it, but now that my scripts are strangely not working for me and BK’s broken until updated properly, I can see things I dislike about the un-modded Kong… We need something like what the character limit script accomplished; don’t allow us to type excessively, stop us at the limit rather than just rudely chopping off the tail of messages.

Flag Post

They’re not broken, though. Ventero temporarily patched them and will fix them after. Kongregate’s developer resources are stretched very thin, so even some very high priority features can’t be implemented.

Flag Post

For the most part, the patch is a dud, though.

At least, for me that is.

And the overall sound of it felt a lot like Ven is ready to give up on “Putting out an endless series of fires”, as it were.

Flag Post

The Better Kongregate addon might be dead but you can get the same functionality with Greasemonkey + Userscripts. Many of the useful ones can be found through Ventero’s profile.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JKuang:

The Better Kongregate addon might be dead but you can get the same functionality with Greasemonkey + Userscripts. Many of the useful ones can be found through Ventero’s profile.

Thought it might be helpful, I’d made this a while ago for someone who had Chrome and wanted all of the Better Kongregate scripts. For anyone who doesn’t want to search for everything, here you go :)

Flag Post

Not quite. Several of his scripts aren’t working for me, and it seems like it broke again today, as my timestamps disappeared again.

Though I realize he doesn’t have a lot of time to fix something he makes no cash off of for a flash game website, it doesn’t help to keep sending people to scripts that are broken.

Flag Post

Except that, for unknown reasons, a fresh install of Firefox 20, Greasemonkey 1.8, and wiping all scripts to reinstall them—yes, including the framework… It just doesn’t work for me. I’ve decided to just live without the scripts for now.

Flag Post

i’ve lived without the scripts forever… i dunno why you’d even need them. timestamps might be nice, but… who really cares. hah

Flag Post

Eh. The timestamps and PM notification are the two functions I really rely on a lot. The rest I can go without

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

They’re not broken, though. Ventero temporarily patched them and will fix them after. Kongregate’s developer resources are stretched very thin, so even some very high priority features can’t be implemented.

If one man can, without any profit to motivate and no affiliation with Kong, produce and maintain something to give these features… Why can’t Kong do similarly? Hell, if they lack the time, why not contact Ventero and work with him to make the things official, and then simply maintain them afterwards?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I hear that on weeks they work on something useful, they only have the time to badge an MMO.