Forums Kongregate

Kong is asking me for personal information when i try to recharge

24 posts

Flag Post

im trying to recharge into Wartune, and a popup window is asking me for personal information. Is this normal?

Flag Post

What kind of personal information?

Flag Post

name, phone number, country, email, zip code.

it prevents me from recharging.

Flag Post

It says:

Help us protect your account

To prevent fraud, we sometimes require players to provide additional information. If we cannot contact you, we will be forced to take action on your account! So please make sure everything is current and correct.

Note: this information will be used only by our fraud prevention and customer support staff.

Flag Post

I do believe it’s Kong asking for it, not a third party site.

I got the same pop-up on my second time purchasing Kreds on this account, this is the second time you’ve bought/intended to buy them?

Flag Post

No i recharged many times Before. I dont like the use of Words “forced to take action on your account!” Feels very unprofessional to me.

Flag Post

Contact support@kongregate.com and they’ll be able to straighten everything out.

Flag Post

This is a request form from us, please fill it out with the appropriate information. We use this to verify purchases.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DamGoodCoffee:

No i recharged many times Before. I dont like the use of Words “forced to take action on your account!” Feels very unprofessional to me.

To Kong Staff: Considering that they are paying you and your investing game makers with kreds, using the word “forced to take action on your account!” to pressure them into buying kreds is not acceptable. Please change this immediately.

Flag Post

It’s kind of true, though. For example, if you do a charge back, Kongregate is forced to ban you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

It’s kind of true, though. For example, if you do a charge back, Kongregate is forced to ban you.

This is why Kong attracts so many scammy “multiplayer” games.

That and Greg/Raw keep badging them even if they are objectively bad.

So people who like badges have to play them

Flag Post

@Zshadow, i am not American but German and i value my personal information higher than Americans do. Knowing that many people pay top money for adress and phone information, i wont fill out that form.
I mailed a request to you guys and havent got an answer in 8 work days, so i suspect i wont get an answer. Perhaps you can answer 2 questions here, as i think other players would like to know them too:
- what has getting that information to do with “fraud prevention”?
- what is meant by “forced to take action on your account”?

Do you guys really think i will give you money if you threaten me?

Jack

Flag Post

It’s because they need more information for contacts, just as paypall needs your phonenumber when you make a account, they need it to avoid any fraud

Flag Post

They may need to contact you, in case there’s any issues. For example, to call you and ask, “you made $600 in purchases in the last hour, was that you?”

There’s reasonable instances were they would need your address. They may need to mail you a paper statement, an invoice or some other type of paperwork. Either for good customer service or they may be legally obligated to.

They’re not trying to threaten you, they’re just being upfront. As an example, what I mentioned earlier, if you do a charge back, it costs Kongregate money and damages their credit. As a result, they have to/their policy is to ban your account.

As for the administration not replying, I’m not sure – only they can answer that. But, out of curiosity, what email did you use to contact them?

Flag Post

I used “contact us” with subject “Kreds inquiry”. its the nearest i could find to a subject for my questions.

I bought Kreds 2 times with my credit card. If anything bad happens, they have all options to get at me through my credit card number and my bank. There is no need to have my personal information apart from what they got already. Especially my phone number, which is not publicly found. Where would i get if i then spread it around on the internet?

I find it threatening me into providing information i dont want to give, knowing that i cant put kred into the game i want to if i dont provide it. Because i wont pay money and then have my account closed.

As i am German, i very strongly doubt that i could sue Kongregate if i provide the information they want and soon afterwards find that this information was sold to some of those shady companies that buy these infos to try and sell things on the phone.

Jack

Flag Post

Look, if they did sell your phone number, they wouldn’t be afilliated with a multi million dollar company, that would destroy both of their reputations, thus making them even thinkin gabout doing it stupid

Flag Post

Multi-billion dollar multinational corporation*

Read this:

http://www.kongregate.com/pages/privacy

Flag Post

Well? The privacy policy can be changed any time, is it legally binding? How many companies do act stupid all the time? Its like giving away your personal rights, you do it only once and have no chance to get them back ever again.

I am willing to spend money, but only if i keep anonymous and i even dont know how much information one gets over a credit card payment. Many Americans i know distrust every other countries legal system and i distrust the American one.
Talking of customer service but never answering questions is kind of contrary in itself already.

Ill opt for not buying Kred and still am waiting for an answer by somebody from customer service.

Jack

Flag Post

The only people who see the verification information are community administrators like myself, and we only use it if we need to contact you to verify your purchases. I can’t tell you how many times a child has stolen a parent’s credit card, only to find out after we’ve called them. :P

We have no reason to use your information for anything else, or to give it to anyone else – it’s only for security reasons to make sure it’s you spending money on your account. We do not ask for your address, only your name, and e-mail address we can reach you at, zip code, and a phone number we can reach you at. That’s less than the payment information asks for, or Paypal.

If you’re not comfortable with entering that information though, you’re free to discuss the matter at support@kongregate.com and we can try to confirm purchases that way. This should not deter you from making purchases though, and we only really need to contact someone if we feel the purchases need verifying. Most of the time we can see you are who you say you are and move along. Other times we wonder why someone named “Jimmy Johnson” is using a credit card belonging to “Deborah Johnson” and spent $300 on TDP4 in a single day.

The reason we say “If we cannot contact you, we will be forced to take action on your account!” is because too many times people ignore our requests, or enter false information. We want to make sure the charges are authorized to avoid chargebacks. We make sure to send e-mails, profile whispers, and voicemails (if applicable) before having to assume it’s fraud. That’s why we want to make sure you can authorize the purchases for us.

This is just like any other fraud prevention service. PayPal will contact you about suspicious activity, so will your bank and credit card company. We have this service to keep your money safe, and make sure someone isn’t using your payment information without your authorization. You can trust it to be secure 100%, and you’re free to contact us with any questions or concerns.

Flag Post

That doesn’t change the fact that if I read this as it sounds…

“If we cannot contact you, we will be forced to take action on your account!”

…as if I don’t you give you my details you will ban me. If I was a genuine spender of kreds and I saw that, then i’ll be worried about being banned if I don’t give you my personal information, which is completely wrong. It needs a rewording as it doesn’t say what you mean it to say.

If you want to stop suspicious payments, just say that the account can no longer accept transactions and give reasons why, don’t threaten to close the whole account.

Flag Post

I don’t know the circumstances under which this block is placed, but I believe there’s a “kreds block”, where the account functions normally sans purchases.

Flag Post

It does seem a bit ambiguous. “Action” can refer to a number of things, but more often than not if we can not contact you we’d put a block on purchasing for the account until we can discuss the purchases with you. Hypothetically, for whatever reason your purchases were flagged as suspicious. Until we can confirm those purchases were authorized, we have to be cautious.

Flag Post

Personally, I’d rather have Kongregate out a block on my account or even ban me and there be nothing wrong instead of fraud occurring and nothing being done.

Flag Post

That’s why we’re cautious when it comes to outstanding purchases. Accounts can be restored with a few clicks, but fraud does a lot more damage. We’d like to prevent it for all parties involved.