Forums Kongregate

The Vortex's Lack of Moderation

27 posts

Flag Post

Greetings from The Vortex,

As the title states, The Vortex is currently, and has been for the past few months, without a moderator to keep users from running amok. I have been a regular of The Vortex for a few years now, and have come to the conclusion (along with several other regulars of the room) that we need more than just the regulars mini-modding the room as an attempt to keep the chat running as smoothly as possible. We’re at the point where we’re all in agreement that The Vortex needs to elect another moderator, since our last moderator ended up losing their modship after being gone for extended periods of time (due to real-life happenings).

Within the months that we’ve been without a moderator, we’ve seen a large amount of spammers, inappropriate chat behavior, people who refuse to contribute to the chat in a meaningful way, trolls, and several other unpleasant people. Back when The Vortex had a regular moderator, the chat was virtually always a pleasant experience (by the regular’s standards, and all of us regulars are admittedly rather “weird”, at least according to a sizable handful of people).

The Vortex’s regulars would like the opportunity to have a candidacy to elect a new moderator, hopefully sooner than later.

Flag Post

You can contact support@kongregate.com to suggest moderator nominees. Me, and other moderators I’m sure, will make more of a point to be in the room, to see who is a viable nominee.

I’ll be using an alt though, of course. ;)

Flag Post

I miss Supersmash :( He was an excellent Moderator… BTW who owned Vortex before him?

Flag Post

Azurebalmung owned it before him.

Flag Post

Thank you for the acknowledgement, and I look forward to who you (and any other moderators) think would make the best nominee(s?) for modship (I’m not sure if that’s the technical term for it, but I’m going with it anyways). Even if it means that someone I would’ve preferred to be nominated, and instead someone else gets nominated, I believe that it’ll still be a noticeable improvement over the rather complete lack of moderators that we’ve had recently.

And, just to clarify, we here at The Vortex aren’t completely sure who to pick as a nominee, so we were actually hoping for an outside opinion (with current mods/admins being the best type of people to get an opinion on the matter) to give us a more thought-out and educated idea of who the nominee should be. Which, if I’m understanding your post correctly, seems to be exactly what you mentioned that you’ll be doing.

Flag Post

I won’t be able to sit in for another little whole (I have an interesting computer situation right now but it should be changing shortly) but if you don’t mind sending me a private message that has a little blurb about who you think would be good, I’ll definitely consider that.

After all, the whole point of room mods is that the regs know the room they’re in best.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

…Uh, what are you talking about, Synergy? Most of the stuff you accuse us of is fallacious (although I can’t disagree with the “wise” bit), with extra emphasis on the fallacious nature of when you said that “The Vortex is a saintly figure”. Saintliness definitely isn’t The Vortex’s defining attribute. However, the regulars generally prefer it that way. (That being said, we do enjoy keeping a decent amount of order around our lack of saintliness.)

Are you sure you aren’t confusing our beloved “The Vortex” with another identically-named noun?

Flag Post

adv0catus, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can on that note, I’m going to find out which regulars want modship themselves, and which ones would prefer to stay a generic user.

Flag Post

SocialSyngery, I am confused about what you wrote, and where it is coming from.

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkarmageddon:

adv0catus, I’ll get back to you as soon as I can on that note, I’m going to find out which regulars want modship themselves, and which ones would prefer to stay a generic user.

Please don’t. Actually, nevermind – I’ll observe myself.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jschamber:

SocialSyngery, I am confused about what you wrote, and where it is coming from.

It’s a copy/paste job of an oft-copy/pasted piece of text… doesn’t seem to have anything to do with the thread itself.

Flag Post

I figured it was a copy/paste, did a quick search but didn’t find anything.

Flag Post

@Social Synergy—Drugs are bad for you. Mkay?

Flag Post

go to another room

Flag Post
Originally posted by SocialSynergy:

[Text]

I’m really not sure what you’re getting at, especially since it really seems to be largely copy-pasted text (for example, the first couple sentences are almost word for word ripped from this post I found on another site, and how your previous post was ripped from this post on another site as well). This thread is about how a room doesn’t have a large moderator presence and how that would like to be changed, which is something that the room mod system hopes to be able to more easily change (by focusing on specific rooms it’ll hopefully become easier in the future to get a larger amount of rooms covered for more of the day, there have already been more users getting modded, so it’s on its way).

EDIT @below: Again, ripped from other sources, such as this one.

Flag Post

I believe it’s safe to say (at this point) that Synergy is only attempting to troll this forum post. I suggest we all ignore him (or use forum muting, if you have an add-on for it on your browser), since they’re not likely to post anything even remotely related to the discussion. Responding to Synergy is only going to encourage them to keep trolling.

Flag Post
Originally posted by darkarmageddon:

I believe it’s safe to say (at this point) that Synergy is only attempting to troll this forum post.

Right. If that’s the case, we should probably just mute or ignore and move on.

As far as the topic goes, you’re right! The Vortex doesn’t have a room owner or any room mods. :c It’s a room that I (and others as well, I’m sure) would love to see with an owner at some point. Things like that will obviously take time and won’t happen overnight.

Buuut, since you’ve brought it up, I’m sure that some of us can direct our attention towards assisting The Vortex from time to time. Also, even if there aren’t any people who get nominated and make it now, that’s not to say what the future could bring. Nominations of course, are private, so you won’t know who will or won’t make it, and you won’t know when. (Not even we know! That’s ultimately up to the admins)

tl;dr Hang in there, and use muting and reporting until the situation changes.
We’ll help you guys out as best we can!

Flag Post

A certain level of, shall we say, official moderation would definitely help, although in the case of the Vortex it might require a slightly different touch to that required elsewhere. I can’t really claim to be a true regular (I have a rather patchy record of coming on Kongregate, including at least one 6-month hiatus), but the occasional troll and sock-puppet do occasionally come in there, and while the regulars do a good job of dealing with them, someone with the dedication to deal with the complaints of the law-abiding Vortexian Kongregation would be a great help.

Flag Post

Necro bump.

What ever happened to this?

Flag Post

Necro bump.

Be patient, you guys aren’t the only room without Mods, in future every room will be getting Mods anyways.

Flag Post
Originally posted by graveyard890:

Necro bump.

Be patient, you guys aren’t the only room without Mods, in future every room will be getting Mods anyways.

I think that’s the overall goal! Then we won’t even need global mods.

Flag Post

Does that mean I should find a new room, since I’m in Vortex?