Forums Kongregate

Outernauts and sleazy advertisement. page 2

52 posts

Flag Post

The only thing I don’t like about it is you need to complete all quests to move on,and it’s a GIGANTIC ripoff of Pokemon.

By the way,Insomniac has tricked you,you are advertising Outernauts right now.

Flag Post

Not all advertising is good advertising.

Flag Post

There is nothing wrong with the game.

Game shows as sender one of your “neighbors”.
All these neighbors play this game. The only one request to become neighbor you get through ingame popup after login, something about “let’s explore this galaxy together”.
All my 3 neighbors added me as friend (one did it in 2012), and I never received any invitation through kongregate, only in game.

Probably only one thing “is wrong” – you get these mails more often than game lets you send gifts – so, you get small random gift from the game with the name of your neighbor.

Flag Post

Thanks for your reply Z_Shadow. In the day I took to come back to this thread others have posted screenshots of the offending mailbox. I guess the only other precision I could bring would be to specify that it is found on the player’s homeworld, which (and I may recall wrong) is not available right away. Once it is available it can be accessed by pressing the button in the lower right corner of the UI, under ‘Star Map’. That button allows the player to switch back and forth between the planet they are currently exploring and their home.

For the others, I was careful not to blame Kongregate for this because Kongregate makes friends lists visible from inside the game which is a great tool for developers and players alike. The problem here is that this information is misused in order to trick the player, which is not something every MMO does or that Kongregate condones. Please let’s not throw blame around, it rests squarely on the shoulders of Outernaut’s developers.

Gremlion, let me give you an example. Here’s a screenshot I took a few minutes after clearing my mailbox:

You can see that the friend who allegedly sent me mail is only level 2, therefore unlikely to be an active player in Outernauts. You’ll notice also that I have zero neighbours. Finally, and this you’ll have to take my word for, burrito wasn’t even logged in to Kong in the 3-5 minutes interval between the time I ‘emptied’ my mailbox and the time the game showed up with this.

I have received notifications from the game that people who haven’t connected to Kong for months have sent me e-mail, sometimes several times in a single day.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gremlion:

Probably only one thing “is wrong” – you get these mails more often than game lets you send gifts – so, you get small random gift from the game with the name of your neighbor.

Probably you are still HIS neighbor or game need some time to account for deletion(Did you refresh the game after deletion?).

Flag Post

Seriously, though. . . all the games invites/requests/gifts DO NOT appear outside of the game (that is, they WON’T show up in your Kong inbox) so I really think this is a non-issue.

One thing that IS worth complaining about in general with Outernauts is the fact that the devs set TRAPS for you to accidentally waste your premium currency. Whatever you do, don’t accidentally click on premium items to buy because there is no confirmation for half of them. And good luck at that in a mouse-only game if you play it for very long. . . My girlfriend clicked to revive her creature in battle when she was first starting out in the game and it took 10 units of premium currency to do so with no warning/confirmation that it even took premium currency at all. And then I lost 20 units by somehow clicking to buy a crystal that teaches an ability, instead of moving an ability the creature had just learned to the active abilities—which is in a different tab. Ultimately the blame is on me for that one (almost. . . where’s the confirmation?) since I clicked without looking. But the tab with naturally-learned abilities is supposed to open by default, so I don’t know what’s screwy going on there.

That’s the sort of thing I frown upon. Why litter the interface with [obvious] traps to bleed your users of their premium currency? It seems about as low as you can get in one of these Money Making Opportunities, and it also can’t really help your profits if you are damaging your trust to new players, right?

Flag Post
Originally posted by porkbob:

Money Making Opportunities

Holy crap, I never thought of that as a different meaning to MMO. I laughed so hard.

Good day fine sir, you made my day.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

You can’t really blame Kongregate for this.

I do, we should, they are. It all started with facebook, now is the easiest way to make money, FORCE people (the badge hunters tards) to get a badge by spamming, thats how “social gaming” works, if you want better gaming? just buy “Trials evolution Gold Edition” that is on sale.

Flag Post

You still never stated a reason to blame Kongregate.

Flag Post

Since this seems really hard to grasp: Kongregate is catering to (Or even allowing, for that matter) money-focused facebook MMOs.

That is why you can blame Kongregate.

Flag Post

Kongregate is (kind of) catering to MMOs. Kongregate isn’t responsible for Outernaut’s in-game advertising practices.

Flag Post

If the Kongregate API didn’t enable a game to gather info about the user, the game wouldn’t be (At least as easily) able to encourage spamming or make false messages from friends.

Flag Post

The developer used a completely legitimate API for unintended/malicious uses.

Flag Post

The API enabled unintended/malicious uses.

Flag Post

Then Kongregate should fix it and probably should have taken precautions. But it’s still not their fault someone used it that way.

Flag Post

I can imagine someone getting into real life trouble due to this…

suppose a a wife has a colleague in office who plays this game and is also a female… and she gets a “present” from the husband and tell it to wife.

then the ife might consider this cheating and separate

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rolby:

yea ikr its kongs fault for giving badges to games like this.

….ummmm so what exactly is Kong’s fault??

Flag Post
Originally posted by crayzee_69:

He thinks it’s Kong’s fault because they badged the game, as he said. However, Kongregate only bases badging games on criteria. They are: API, rating and number of plays. Two of those things are player-dependant and the other thing is the developer’s responsibility.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

You can’t really blame Kongregate for this.

Yes you can. It’s a little thing called ‘minimum quality standards’ and/or ‘putting quality over profit’.

Sure it’s in every way opposed to the core ideals of capitalism, but hey.

Kong could easily disable the premium currency system entirely. They wont, but they could.

So you say it is Kongegrate can be blamed because they haven’t diasbled the premium currency system?? Because if they did the problem would be fixed??? I would say it is ENTIRELY the dev’s fault, bfd if there’re badges in the game, wtf does that have to do with the dev’s putting in a system to promote unintentional spamming. FOR SHAME KONGREGATE!!!! Because we all know that kongregate gets compensated every time a player spams another player…

Flag Post

You should probably calm down.

Flag Post

Captain, making the friend list of a Kong user accessible inside a game is great. It enables people who are friends to find each other inside the game and play together. It is an excellent feature. Once again, the problem is with one developer misusing this information and lying to their players to trick them into advertising for them. Do you also advocate ripping everyone’s tongue out because some people lie?

Flag Post
Originally posted by crayzee_69:

He thinks it’s Kong’s fault because they badged the game, as he said. However, Kongregate only bases badging games on criteria. They are: API, rating and number of plays. Two of those things are player-dependant and the other thing is the developer’s responsibility.

He said that Kongregate can be blamed but doesn’t identify what exactly is Kong’s fault, is he saying that it is Kong’s fault that the dev put it in there? Not entirely sure why you added what you added when you just stated what he said (i already knew that) and then put in the badging criteria, which doesn’t explain what he is saying is Kong’s fault…

Flag Post

You’re putting way to much thought into Rolby’s post.

Flag Post

You’re putting way to much thought into Rolby’s post.

no thought it was just a question, then someone else thought they could answer for him (and failed) which led to it growing

Flag Post

I’m thinking that maybe someone else needs to calm down…