Forums Kongregate

Tags should be combinable and/or you should be able to search by tag rating

19 posts

Flag Post

I know I could have posted this in the suggestions thread but i really wanna discuss about it.

So I’d need tags to be combinable so that I could find kinda exactly the games I’m searching for, and I think that’s what would make the tag system perfect, because as it is this system has great potential, but very often it isn’t practical…

Look at the action tag for example, it has so very many games in it that going there to search for games is kinda non-sense, but if you could combine this tag with let’s say RPG, it would be so incredibly useful all of a sudden :D :D. After all, this way you could easily find action-RPGs instead of searching through RPGs looking for the action tag, which won’t always be shown in the RPGs’ list, and frankly it’s a tiresome search to do.

Another good thing to do about tags is in the list of games from a tag, I’d like to be able to classify games by tag rating, so that I could differentiate true RPGs from games with just RPG elements for example. They could do that instead of my suggestion above if that’s easier, as it would make for a good start :D.

Now I don’t know if these has been suggested before, or if it’s hard to do, or if it’s just a low priority thing at the time, and I’d really like to know about it if possible.

Flag Post

I would completely agree. Good games could be so much easier found via multi-tag searches. +1

Flag Post

very true.

Flag Post

Searching multiple tags is a popular request in the suggestions thread. It is a feature that is greatly needed and will only be needed more as new games are added.

Flag Post

I’m now working on searching by multiple tags, but only for badged games. Should be available soon, i guess!

Flag Post

For a while i’ve got an almost complete set of tag lists for badged games (except the newest five or six): link
What i did is ran through that list, saving urls, then appending /tags?show_hidden=true for every url and grabbing tags from there. On second thought, maybe it was better to grab them directly from a game page. Also i didn’t really check if there were any errors in the middle of a process, but i hope everything is fine.
Everyone’s saying that there’s no API for that thing, so i thought of nothing better.
I’m going to be a bit busy for a few days, but soon i’ll most likely get parsing and searching done for that data. Ideally i want it to be merged with zAlbee’s list (i left a feature request there but there was no response for quite a long time), so that you can search by multiple tags and sort by different stats at the same time. I thought that could be a pretty cool thing. Maaaaaybe.

Flag Post

to j64e: I’m sorry to tell you that your link named “that list” have a virus attached to it (it seems), so even if I think you didn’t want this at all ;), I must tell people not to click that link until you updated it or explained why we should be confident about clicking this link ;).

Very interesting post otherwise, and I’m very very happy to hear that amutiple tag search is gonna be out soon :D. It does look like a lot of work to make my suggestion happen, but as I said, if it’s easier and faster to make it so that we’re able to classify games by tag rating, you can do this instead as it would be a very good start :).

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sirocco8:

to j64e: I’m sorry to tell you that your link named “that list” have a virus attached to it (it seems)

Zalbee’s list has been around for awhile. I seriously doubt it has a virus. Anyway…the link works fine for me.

Flag Post

Ok maybe there’s no danger, but Avast talks about a Trojan Horse, which is quite a dangerous kind of virus I think. I guess this page got infected not long ago, or my program is wrong. And anyway I perfectly understood what j64e meant ;).

Flag Post

Hey Sirocco8, zAlbee recently had an issue with the site which he wrote about here and in the next post. Should be fixed by now and i don’t see any virus warnings now, but if you do, it’s better if you contact him about this matter.
As about search, i’ll probably get it working in about two or three days.

Flag Post

What search are you talking about pls ? The search by tag rating ? Well then it’s really greaaat :D !

Flag Post

I shouldn’t probably have promised anything about three days, as my laziness got over me pretty soon.

Anyways! Today i’ve done a poor-coded delphi app for this thing. Here it is.
What you need to do is to press “Load Data” once and then fill in the tags which you want to include in or exclude from the query. A tag is considered to be “applied” if it has a greater or equal score than the limit we have set (defaults to 10). Then you press search and get result.txt with the game urls which meet those requirements.

Of course it’s gonna be rewritten to php sooner or later. I’ve also emailed zAlbee for a question about merging this idea into his list.

This is it for a while!

Flag Post

I’m sorry I didn’t reply earlier, I wasn’t reading forums for some time, but really it’s ok that it took you more time than you thought to make the multi-tag search ;). It’s already incredible that you could do it in one week when nothing was done for many months before, so thanks a lot :).

I hope you’re gonna see this post because I answer quite late :).

Flag Post

Hey there! The work is still in process; i’ve discussed it with zAlbee, he said that the work on my part is done and most likely he will put this functionality up soon. It may take some time though, people of course may be busy with work or real life or something else.

Flag Post

Yep, that’s right. I’ve incorporated j64e’s code to fetch the tags for all badged games, as well as a basic search. I just need to make the data more presentable.

Here’s a preview. http://zalbee.intricus.net/kong/tags.html

Flag Post

I updated the page above to sort by tag score (the score is normalized for each game, and takes into account all tags in a multi-tag search). This should make it more usable now.

I tried the Action + RPG tag-search like the OP Sirocco suggested. I get 66 results with the top 5 being:

Cloudstone – 93.2
The Last Stand: Union City – 82.74
Legend of Pandora – 77.78
Questopia – 76.67
Chibi Knight – 75

The main drawback is that my tag database only contains badged games, not all games on Kongregate. Still, that’s 963 games (and increasing). Try it out!

Multi-tag search for Kongregate

Flag Post

This actually is something we’d like to add down the road, and it’s on our ever-growing list of “Totally Awesome Things We Want To Do”. Along with this there will hopefully be a page that has all the available tags, and it’ll be as easy as point and click to choose which game genre you want to play.

Keep an eye on site updates!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

This actually is something we’d like to add down the road, and it’s on our ever-growing list of “Totally Awesome Things We Want To Do”. Along with this there will hopefully be a page that has all the available tags, and it’ll be as easy as point and click to choose which game genre you want to play.

Keep an eye on site updates!

This will definitely be a popular update. It’s a pretty common request.

Flag Post

Wow, the work on this feature is really going on fast, thanks a lot zAlbee.