Forums Kongregate

game4joy's games...

9 posts

Flag Post

happened across one of this guys games while digging through the Music & More category for a decent game to try and well… 1-3 uploads a day, currently 124 games with most being aimed at little kids obviously :/ i doubt kong needs a lot of games aimed at users under the age of 13 (hence the 13+ requirement >.>).

i flagged a few but seeing as theres so many, i didn’t want to go through the whole list picking out the inappropriate ones. games like dora the explorer (seriously? who over the age of 13 would even like that let alone play it?), sponge bob, and games like this: http://www.kongregate.com/games/game4joy/princess-dinner

not saying all the games are like that but a good number are. sorry if i’m wasting anyones time with this. i just thought it’d be easier than going through game by game and flagging them :/

Flag Post

As long as they’re not stolen or inappropriate, I don’t see a huge issue with them. As for the age thing, people can be under 13 and play games on here, it’s just that they can’t have an account (I know my 10 year old cousin plays games on here without an account, for example). The copyrighted characters thing might be another issue, but that’s something on its own.

Flag Post

Children below 13 are not allowed to make an account on Kongregate, but no-one can prevent them from playing shitty games as guests :)

Flag Post

Games like spongebob and dore the explorer COULD be subject to copyright though since development on Kong is monetized.

Flag Post

There are about 30 publishers like them that mass-upload daily games like that, that usually are just reskinned games with copyrighted characters. That games are destroying the new games section, but you can’t do anything about it unless it’s innapropiate.
About the copyright infringement, I don’t know why Kongregate has not done anything yet. In that terms I actually only have seen people banned for uploading games that are not theirs, but never seen anyone banned for uploading anything with 80% of the artwork copyrighted.
And, about being under 13…

Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to register for an Account or use other interactive features of our Site.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SumGato:

About the copyright infringement, I don’t know why Kongregate has not done anything yet. In that terms I actually only have seen people banned for uploading games that are not theirs, but never seen anyone banned for uploading anything with 80% of the artwork copyrighted.

The short answer is this. By the terms of the DMCA, Kongregate is, of course, legally required to respond when they receive a takedown notice. But, because of the way the DMCA works, they’re best off not doing anything beyond that. If they proactively look for infringing works, they could potentially be exposed to more liability, so it is clearly much better for them not to do that. See the Wikipedia article for more details.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SumGato:

And, about being under 13…

Children under the age of 13 are not permitted to register for an Account or use other interactive features of our Site.

That means that they can’t use the chat, forums, contests, or anything else that would be considered interaction, since they could all lead to disclosing personal information, which is what the law is trying to prevent. They’re free to play without an account, since it’s not possible to partake in any of that interaction.

Flag Post

FliplineStudios got a new account? :o

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kadleon:

FliplineStudios got a new account? :o

Nope, they’re better then the papa games.