Forums Kongregate

Kong Maintenance

19 posts

Flag Post

This may be silly, but when I logged on this morning, I received the message about Kong maintenance: “Important Notice!
Kongregate will be down for a brief maintenance on 8/22/2013 starting at 10:00AM PST.”

It states PST, but PST isn’t currently being used right now; PDT is used during the summer in most places. Is there a way to get clarification as to which one is accurate?

Thanks.

Flag Post

Omgosh! Scary as always.

Flag Post

Okay, so either Kong meant PDT and they were 45 minutes late, or they are in a PST locale and were 15 minutes early.

Flag Post

Kong was doing a maintenance. Thank god they posted a playable game while we waited for Kong to be back up.

Flag Post

I know they were doing maintenance, but their timing was wrong. I just wanted clarification and based on today’s maintenance message, they meant PDT for all messages previously.

Flag Post

mine quite clearly said 10:00 AM PDT

Flag Post
Originally posted by wattro:

mine quite clearly said 10:00 AM PDT

They changed it I think. This was 5 days ago too….

Flag Post

OP is right, it used to say PST.

Flag Post

But it’s still unimportant.

Flag Post
Originally posted by abraaz:

But it’s still unimportant.

To you, maybe. To others, it may be less irrelevant than you may think. Adhering to announced schedules is a big part of customer satisfaction in many industries; it’s a hallmark of professionalism. For people who use Kong chat to discuss projects, knowing when chat is going to be unavailable gives them a chance to copy/paste logs. Other people have their own reasons to log chats (for instance, I used to maintain Kong chat logs to archive admissions of guilt/other evidence when I moderated two games for a few years). It also gives people a chance to organize a migration to a different chat service if they want to continue a conversation while Kong is down. “Kong’s going down in 10 minutes, everyone meet up in TinyChat!”

Flag Post

Or just wait for a bit and go outside like I did? :)

Flag Post
For people who use Kong chat to discuss projects

Whaaaa, which projects? Why not use skype or jabber or irc or whatever, if even a ten minute unavailability is so crucial.

Flag Post

I like to know when things are going to happen, especially if something like this is announced, so I can schedule accordingly. If Kong is going to announce maintenance, surely it should be accurate. What’s the point of making an inaccurate announcement? Besides, not all downtimes last 10 minutes or fewer, some can be quite lengthy. =)

Flag Post
Originally posted by j64e:
For people who use Kong chat to discuss projects

Whaaaa, which projects? Why not use skype or jabber or irc or whatever, if even a ten minute unavailability is so crucial.

Sometimes people who are working together on something just fall into discussion about it without planning. If they happen to be in Kong chat, they keep chatting on Kong. Now, if they realize it’s about to go down, they can decide to hop over to another system.

Originally posted by ErgoDyne:

I like to know when things are going to happen, especially if something like this is announced, so I can schedule accordingly. If Kong is going to announce maintenance, surely it should be accurate. What’s the point of making an inaccurate announcement? Besides, not all downtimes last 10 minutes or fewer, some can be quite lengthy. =)

Agreed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IslandWeaselX:

Sometimes people who are working together on something just fall into discussion about it without planning. If they happen to be in Kong chat, they keep chatting on Kong. Now, if they realize it’s about to go down, they can decide to hop over to another system.

I’d think that if people are serious enough about it they’d already have a go-to place to meet back up. For example, a couple months ago there was an issue where the entire site was unexpectedly down for a few hours, so myself and some others ended up meeting up in a TinyChat room that we already use, so you can’t really use the excuse that there’s not enough time to find a suitable meeting place, since any time that the site is up (which is the vast majority) is suitable time to plan that place (for example, they could go set up a TinyChat room right now and say that it’s where they should meet whenever there’s maintenance).

However, I’m seeing some issues with the “facts” being posted in this thread. In the opening post it was said that the time was 10am PST, occooa said it was 11am PST, and wattro said 10am PDT, so there’s some of the confusion right there (at least for me, since it’s hard to talk about Kong getting the time wrong when there’s no consensus on what was said).

Flag Post

yea there are maintenances a lot nowadays. is kong getting attacked by dddos?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rolby:

yea there are maintenances a lot nowadays. is kong getting attacked by dddos?

Server updates.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:
Originally posted by IslandWeaselX:

I’d think that if people are serious enough about it they’d already have a go-to place to meet back up. For example, a couple months ago there was an issue where the entire site was unexpectedly down for a few hours, so myself and some others ended up meeting up in a TinyChat room that we already use, so you can’t really use the excuse that there’s not enough time to find a suitable meeting place, since any time that the site is up (which is the vast majority) is suitable time to plan that place (for example, they could go set up a TinyChat room right now and say that it’s where they should meet whenever there’s maintenance).

Well, not everything is necessarily serious at first, but things do pick up steam after discussions show that people have the skills and willingness to actually do something about a suggestion. I’ve written a few scripted tools on almost spur-of-the-moment conversations that started as joking around, then ended up becoming serious when what was initially a ridiculous idea turned out to be useful. It’s not really an excuse so much as an example of actual situations that can and have occurred which can be thrown off course by unexpected downtime. Naturally, unplanned downtime or connectivity issues are still going to cause the same issues, but knowing when a planned outage is going to occur is very, very useful.

However, I’m seeing some issues with the “facts” being posted in this thread. In the opening post it was said that the time was 10am PST, occooa said it was 11am PST, and wattro said 10am PDT, so there’s some of the confusion right there (at least for me, since it’s hard to talk about Kong getting the time wrong when there’s no consensus on what was said).

Those are referring to different maintenance notices, aren’t they? wattro’s post was 5 days after the original post (so unless he saved a log/screenshot or has eidetic memory he may be mistaken about what a 5 day old message said), and occooa’s was a screenshot of the message on the 15th.

Flag Post

I copied and pasted what my maintenance post said on the 22nd of August. In my original message, the time was listed as PST, which is not currently in use, and had been that way for as long as I can remember. After I posted my message, the next update was corrected to the proper time zone and has been ever since. I now know what Kong’s time zone is and that they do follow Daylight Saving Time.