Forums Kongregate

Back to School, 36th Kongregate Gaming Tournament (Winner - BestMte!) page 12 (locked)

746 posts

Flag Post

So no one’s found a game-breaking bug in this game yet?

Anyone?

Flag Post

According to highscores, maybe not. I hope so.

Flag Post

Yeah, those separate things become really fast and are the main challenge. The bosses are easy on other hand.

Flag Post

Flag Post

I liked the number, so i died on purpose, as i had a last life anyway.
Well, this is it, will probably check out the stats again on a last day.

Flag Post

http://www.gpstudios.com/highscores.php?id=1675&level=3&scoreID=159113

Since we changed 2 games due to hacks/fear of cheats/etc I find it offensive not to require a screen or the submission of the score, so we could check the truth in the leaderboard of the site. Unless, a quick work on paint could fuck up leaderboards.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Nakazawa:

http://i.imgur.com/9W2eoEu.png

Since we changed 2 games due to hacks/fear of cheats/etc I find it offensive not to require a screen or the submission of the score, so we could check the truth in the leaderboard of the site. Unless, a quick work on paint could fuck up leaderboards.

Dat Satan seems a nice guy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Nakazawa:

I also realized the other day about the possible consequences of not adding as requirement the submission of a highscore to GPStudios’ website (which hosts all submitted highscores of the game), and informed Ceasar about that via PM, although he may not have read it yet. Just ask all participants to the round to click “Submit”, not necessarily before the screenshot is taken, so that the tournament staff will be able to make sure a specific highscore is actually present on that site, and not just easily photoshopped with any cheap image editing software. It’s not a matter of trusting or not trusting people, but rather of preventing in advance any easy way to cheat.

Even with the previous game, Dropsum, the exploit involving Arcade mode could have been avoided just by asking us to play Basic mode instead. That way there would have been no timer and “pausing” the game would have been a futile thing, while the players would have played pretty much the same game, trying not to fill completely the screen with unexploded numbers.

I’m sorry if I’m sounding as if I think I can teach you how to run a tournament Ceasar, because that’s not my intention. I sincerely appreciate the efforts you and the rest of the staff put into all this, and honestly I doubt I’d be able to even try a task that takes so much time and patience with the right games to pick, a huge spreadsheet to keep updated and some impatient players to deal with. This is the first time I participate, and I can only admire all your hard work. My previous remarks are only meant to be helpful (hopefully), because there is always room for improvement after all.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Flag Post

Edited for 300k+

Flag Post

SHHAAAWWNNN!

Flag Post

All this game changing crap is tedious and frankly, not fun at all.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Originally posted by Gext3r:

All this game changing crap is tedious and frankly, not fun at all.

But it’s better than having terrible games.

Flag Post

It’s not a matter of trusting or not trusting people, but rather of preventing in advance any easy way to cheat.

If people are going to cheat, they’re going to do so regardless of whether or not it is easy for them to do so. Making tournament players jump through hoops for the sake of preventing cheating is not only annoying for the vast majority of us who would never consider cheating, but it also doesn’t address the problem of cheating.

Flag Post

Well, let’s say you’re in a party, and you see a chunk of money laying around. It’s pretty big, if someone took some from it nobody would notice (unless someone counted the amount there, but when they do it it’s already going to be too late). What do you do? You take some from it, just leave it there because it’s not your business, or warn the host about that possibility so he puts it somewhere safer?

Congrats on 5555 posts, btw.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lebossle:

Well, let’s say you’re in a party, and you see a chunk of money laying around. It’s pretty big, if someone took some from it nobody would notice (unless they counted, but when they do it it’s already going to be too late). What do you do? You take some from it, just leave it there because it’s not your business, or warn the host about that possibility so he puts it somewhere safer?

Congrats on 5555 posts, btw.

That’s a shitty analogy. Realistically, if people want to cheat, let them cheat- tournament users here have been doing this long enough that they know their group doesn’t do it and for those who are new, I’m sure it will be pretty easy to guess whether they’re cheating or not. For instance if a somebody comes out of nowhere and wins two tournys in a row without any form of communication other than posting their screenshot. etc. Also, what sort of bragging rights does it gain you? If everyone thinks the #1 person cheated, they’ll obviously recognize the number #2 as the winner, unofficially. Come on guys, this isn’t Baseball.
Screenshotting with a green plug, of chat, or of highscore is about as good as you’re going to get, apart from recording your attempt, which not everyone can do.

The honor system guys :3 the honor system!

Flag Post

OK, yeah. Click “Submit” from here on out for this game, even if it’s not in your screenshot.

I do want to at least make it DIFFICULT for people to cheat, since there have been documented instances of cheaters caught in the past. There’s also some psychology involved, where I’m guessing that people are more likely to cheat if they think other people are cheating.

Flag Post
For instance if a somebody comes out of nowhere and wins two tournys in a row without any form of communication other than posting their screenshot. etc.

HAIL SVEN

Flag Post

Yeah, yeah, I overreacted a bit in my last post. I realize that pressing the “Submit” button requires virtually no effort.

Still, I can’t help but think that some of the measures recent tourneys have taken to attempt to stop cheating aren’t really achieving their goal.

Come on guys, this isn’t Baseball.

You’re right—in baseball, everyone ignores cheating for 15 years and then suddenly act like they care when all of their sacred records start being broken. Here, people are so focused on trying to stop the occasional cheater that they inadvertently make cheating a bigger problem than it was before.

Flag Post

You guys really shouldn’t insult the host quite so much. I’ve been lurking for longer than you might imagine, it doesn’t seem like hackers are that rampant anymore but the measures keep escalating.

That being said, I’m not definitely not going to bother playing this game again. Not recorded this time.

Flag Post
Screenshotting with a green plug, of chat, or of highscore is about as good as you’re going to get, apart from recording your attempt, which not everyone can do.

The honor system guys :3 the honor system!

Originally posted by racefan12:

Yeah, yeah, I overreacted a bit in my last post. I realize that pressing the “Submit” button requires virtually no effort.

Still, I can’t help but think that some of the measures recent tourneys have taken to attempt to stop cheating aren’t really achieving their goal.

That may be true, but those basic measures are better than no measures at all, don’t you think so? Otherwise there would have been no point in the previous games to include Kongregate’s highscore tab in the screenshots. Heck, the screenshots themselves would be a waste of effort, everyone could just post “Hey guys, my highscore was insert random number here”. :P

Anyway, I’m sorry if the previous statements caused a ruckus and I didn’t want to sound as if I’m flailing, running in circles and screaming “ZOMG CHEATERS EVERYWHERE!!!”. This tournament’s first objective is for everyone to have fun, so anyone sane enough will play fairly and do their best or be defeated by others and still be looking forward for the next tournament. If one can’t compete fairly in a tournament with no actual prize other than being able to show others how good you’ve been at those games, that person simply does not know what a real competition is and is just a sore loser.

But as long as some basic and easy requirements are respected (by the way, thanks Ceasar for adding that “Submit” step) things will be a bit safer and more enjoyable for everyone I think :)

This said, I’m gonna stop bringing this not-so-cool thing up and will just post positive things from now on, like my future highscores or my shame for being so bad at some games XD

Flag Post

I guess we’ll agree to disagree, then.

By the way, I’m not trying to insult the host or single out this tournament with my statements—this is a trend that has been happening for several tournaments now.

Flag Post