Forums Kongregate

No more commercial "beta" please!

12 posts

Flag Post

I would like to petition Kongregate and Gamestop to ban games in the “beta” section from having required premium content or micro-transactions until they are out of beta. Thank you.

Flag Post

going to sorta agree with this, as games in bata tend to wipe save files when they get out, so if they have microtransactions that money can be ruined if you spend it into a game in bata.

Flag Post

Premium content is tied to your account, not save file, so you wouldn’t lose the items purchased.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Selva:

I would like to petition Kongregate and Gamestop to ban games in the “beta” section from having required premium content or micro-transactions until they are out of beta. Thank you.

Im in agreement with this since a game with premium content was cancelled due to ‘lack of players’ before even being released out of beta (robot rising)

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1337al:

Im in agreement with this since a game with premium content was cancelled due to ‘lack of players’ before even being released out of beta (robot rising)

That’s fine in itself, as long as the developer acts accordingly. The right thing to do would be to refund everyone’s purchases.

Flag Post

There are some developers who use the Beta label as an excuse to never deliver all the content they promise since it’s “still under development,” even after they stop working on it. A certain game “currently in Open Beta” on Kong since 2010 hasn’t had an update or developer support in a long time, but the developer still accepts payment for goods in game. Even worse, players often have to submit disputes/chargebacks because the transactions are not always completed. If they fail to cancel their payments in time, the developer has basically gotten money for nothing. The developer’s Wiki stated years ago that it was in Post Production and the developer was pursuing multiple other games/projects.

Flag Post

This is quickly becoming an epidemic as many games are doing exactly this, claiming to be in beta to draw in those who would pay to play, and then giving only the “its in beta” excuse for the games flaws. Regardless of release time frame or development agenda, these games are beginning to take advantage of the general public to draw in funds fora flawed product, knowing they can hide behind “In Beta” status. Game informer recently did an article on this exact subject and pointed out many flaws in this business plan. I believe such a petition would not only succeed but completely change how “in beta” game are viewed. Which is exactly why it will most likely never see the light of day.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bjjdude:

going to sorta agree with this, as games in bata tend to wipe save files when they get out, so if they have microtransactions that money can be ruined if you spend it into a game in bata.

Well, you are kind of a dummy if you put money into a game knowing there is a chance of a wipe.

I think it’s on you if you do that, and the system should stay as is.

Smart gamers don’t put money into a game until the product is finished.

Flag Post
Smart gamers don’t put money into a game because they’re not receiving anything tangible in return.

Fixed that for you.

inb4rageoverjoke

Flag Post

I’d probably just put money into finished games.

Flag Post

I agree, even though I know it won’t happen. I’m not a fan of how “beta” has come to mean “full release except we might wipe the game or change everything even if you paid for it”.

It would be slightly more tolerable if the games in “beta” here weren’t ones that were already out on Facebook :p

Flag Post

That’s fine in itself, as long as the developer acts accordingly. The right thing to do would be to refund everyone’s purchases.

It’s naive to think that they would. Backyard Monsters is a prime example of a “beta game that is never going out of beta” where refunds were never going to happen.

If beta game premium content is going to be taken seriously, there’s going to have to be a tried and tested contractual agreement between the developers, us and Kong for guaranteed return of Kreds in case of a game shutdown before notice.

If any transaction is made not using kreds but by another method such as paypal, that it isn’t Kong’s responsibility in anyway to refund you.