Forums Kongregate

Join me in lamenting the demise of Desktop Tower Defense 1.5

25 posts

Flag Post

Hey all—

As I’m sure many of you know, DTD 1.5 has been a mainstay of Kongregate since the very earliest days of the site. Uploaded here on July 9, 2007, it’s an iconic part of Kong’s history. It is also my personal favorite game OF. ALL. TIME.

Unfortunately, it has also been broken for a long, long time. We held out hope! We waited! We hoped some more! But sooner or later, we have to face the facts: the game is broken and won’t be fixed. :-( The time has come to let go.

I will cry big splashy tears when I unpublish it. Feel free to share your personal stories about DTD 1.5 and how much you loved it, hated it, and loved to hate it.

Flag Post

B-but… the script…

Flag Post

no

don’t

TRICKY DON’T DO IT

Flag Post

Well uh.
That’s disappointing.
I just want muh imp badge ;-;

Flag Post

Was this script still functioning before the game was unpublished? It allowed the game to be played and badge reports to be submitted (it was posted in the comments multiple times as well). If the problem was that people didn’t know about it, couldn’t there have been a message posted above the game about it like there’s the one above TDP4 for account safety? Just wondering, since it seems like it’d be better to keep it if workarounds still exist than just unpublish it altogether.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

Was this script still functioning before the game was unpublished? It allowed the game to be played and badge reports to be submitted (it was posted in the comments multiple times as well). If the problem was that people didn’t know about it, couldn’t there have been a message posted above the game about it like there’s the one above TDP4 for account safety? Just wondering, since it seems like it’d be better to keep it if workarounds still exist than just unpublish it altogether.

The script works for some and not for others, but it uses a copy of the game that’s uploaded to Armor Games’ servers, and it’s not really the best plan to make another site host a game for us. We’ve asked the devs for a fix before, and it seems they’ve just not wanted to do so, so we had to take it down :(

Flag Post

If I did it on AG and then sent you a really nice PM and called you pretty, can you still award the badges? ;-;

Flag Post

Just checked to see the badges for it were still here, so I was kind of wondering if the badges for the game will be removed from the badge list or will it remain here for being part of Kongs history?

It’s still sad to see this leave since it was the first TD game I played. Being the first time playing one, I did horrible, but I’ll still miss being overwhelmed.

Flag Post

The badges aren’t going to be removed. Taking them out would mean people lose points and potentially delevel, and that would be worse than leaving the badges there.

Flag Post

WHAT?!
Actually I miss 17 badges, one of them is Imp badge from DTD 1.5 . I want to have full collection in future. Can I earn this badge by playing on AG ?

Flag Post

Not only do they no longer make new impossible badges, they’ve started removing the old ones.

THIS IS JUST THE BEGINNING
ZUNDERFURY WILL BE NEXT
THE END IS NIGH

Flag Post

bye

Flag Post

It’s kixeye. Kixeye have messed up Backyard Monsters and havn’t come back for 1.5.

But don’t worry.

Kongregate will do a promotion for TOME IMMORTAL ARENA at some point.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyNameIsNothing:

If I did it on AG and then sent you a really nice PM and called you pretty, can you still award the badges? ;-;

This?

This might be the saddest 1000th post ever. My first ever lost badge.

Flag Post

I have to ask this: Does anyone know exactly what broke the game?

I know it’s an issue with the game’s site-locking feature, but why did it start acting up, and why did it lock out Kongregate but not Armor Games?

Flag Post

:c

Flag Post
Originally posted by MyNameIsNothing:

Fifteen drafts later…

The Sixteenth Draft

Hey Tricky, you’re smoking hot and smart. You’re really beautiful and since you’re such a nice and generous person, you should award me $$$$ which I got from this pic."

Thanks…

sincerely…

Yours truly,

MNIN

sighs Don’t think so :/

Flag Post

Well, it really is impossible now.

Flag Post

Those badges sure are… impossible.

Flag Post

It should have been removed months ago so no lamenting from me. I never liked the idea that a developer who clearly didn’t care about Kong or their players here could still have a non-functional game generating so much traffic and ad revenue for them.

Flag Post

RIP DTD 1.5.

Flag Post

saybox, I hear you. The dev wasn’t in it for the money, though— he had moved on to other things. :-S

DragonArcherZ and MNIN, ilyguise. There are about two (2) people in the universe who think I’m smokin’ hot, but thanks for trying?

I am terrible at games, but I loved DTD 1.5. ::deep sigh::

Flag Post

That game brought me to this site in the first place. Sad day.

Also, more sad… the “report missing achievement” page shows a screenshot from DTD.

Flag Post

We need another tower defense imp to balance this madness!

Flag Post
Originally posted by IAmTheCandyman:
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

The script works for some and not for others, but it uses a copy of the game that’s uploaded to Armor Games’ servers, and it’s not really the best plan to make another site host a game for us. We’ve asked the devs for a fix before, and it seems they’ve just not wanted to do so, so we had to take it down :(

well they are pissed because their casual collective plan failed…
and they blame kong for it