Forums Kongregate

Why are levels capped at 65?

11 posts

Flag Post

Is it just arbitrary? Also, found this on an old thread, interesting read, if not a bit dodgy (Was posted over 1 year ago).

Originally posted by rawismojo:

This response will probably leave a lot of people wanting, but do know that we’re reading this thread (and similar threads) and we know there is considerable support behind raising the level cap. While there wouldn’t be an incredible work investment in just raising the cap, it does have several ramifications and we want to evaluate all those before changing the system. Ideally, whatever changes we make to the system would make it better in general, rather than just increasing the maximum numerical value you can obtain. If all we did was raise the level cap, it would just affect a small percentage of the community and could possibly upset others (those who are level 63-64 who never managed to hit the cap while it was enforced at 65). I wouldn’t expect a change on this front in the extremely near future, but it is on our minds and is being considered.

Flag Post

Levels were originally capped at 64 because base 2. There was a bug with that implementation, so the level cap was raised by one to 65.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thok:

Levels were originally capped at 64 because base 2. There was a bug with that implementation, so the level cap was raised by one to 65.

The original cap was 20, then later raised to 64 (not sure exactly when), and finally to 65 in 2008.

At this point, raising the cap wouldn’t do much good, since the points required for each level grow exponentially, but the source of those points are more linear in nature (points from badges/rating games/BotD are the majority of points for most people, and those are added in a fairly linear way).

Flag Post

I just read this on Base-2 and don’t get what it has to do with the number 64.. Maybe I don’t know enough about programming.. :/

Flag Post

Because 65 is retirement age.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PetalmaneBaku:

I just read this on Base-2 and don’t get what it has to do with the number 64.. Maybe I don’t know enough about programming.. :/

2^6

Flag Post
Originally posted by randomboy839:

2^6

If based on binary it should be something like 127 or 255 or 65535 etc isn’t it?

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Because 65 is retirement age.

You can’t retire from playing games

Flag Post
Originally posted by Gomo_Psivarh:
Originally posted by randomboy839:

2^6

If based on binary it should be something like 127 or 255 or 65535 etc isn’t it?

Well 64 is also a binary number. I guess they didn’t go up to level 128 or 256 because it saves place and they didn’t expected a lot of people to reach level 65.

Flag Post

There is only a bit for each player. With one million users it takes only 1Mb more, much less than one single game. I don´t think that is the reason.

Flag Post

64 is not a binary number. A binary number is composed of no more than two characters, where one character represents 0, and the other represents 1. Typically “0” and “1” are used to avoid confusion. 64 is a decimal number (characters 0-9), and its binary equivalent is 1000000. 63 can be represented with only 6 characters (111111), whereas 64 requires one more character. Blah blah blah