Forums Kongregate

[Tournament] Lousy Smarch Madness 2 -- Congratulations ActiveUnique!

587 posts

Flag Post

Like Remnants, this post will not be with us forever. :(

Flag Post

Hello, and welcome to LOUSY SMARCH MADNESS 2, the 41st Kongregate Gaming Tournament! Keep on reading for all the explanatory stuff, or just skip ahead and pretend you read it. No one’s judging you.

The qualifier will work as you’re all used to; I have no real cap, as the opening round can accommodate any number of participants. Accordingly, the qualifier is not meant to be a challenge; rather, it’s there to make sure that you know how to take a screenshot, and that you get the chance to play the sort of games that wouldn’t work for the main tournament.

After the qualifier, there are two possible directions for this tournament, depending on the number of participants. If I have 32 or fewer participants, this tournament will adapt to the changing sports landscape and mirror the upcoming World Cup in Brazil. You will initially be split into groups of four players. Two players from each group will then advance to the one-on-one, single-elimination rounds where anything can happen.

If I have significantly more than 32 participants, however, the tournament structure will mirror the original LSM, which is to say it will be patterned after the NCAA Basketball Tournament. There will be a mock “regular season,” which serves as a seeding round; your performance in the seeding games will determine who you have to play on your path to sweet, sweet Kongregate glory.

OVERTIME

Because of the nature of this tournament, ties are especially problematic. Thus, in the event of a tie, overtime will kick in. In overtime, the competitors will have a short period (TBD) to post the best score in the overtime game.

OH, THIS AGAIN

In addition to the main tournament, I will be running a side competition just for fun. It will have no effect on the main tournament at all, and will not affect your scores or your rank. It will be possible for anyone who enters Lousy Smarch Madness to win, whether eliminated immediately, or the champion of the whole tournament.

As you may know, many college basketball players are eventually picked in the NBA draft. The top draft picks are sometimes also the most successful college players; other times, the top players may be chosen on the basis of potential for future success. So will it be here. Everyone will be eligible for the Draft, no matter when (or if) you are eliminated. That said, the most successful players tend to be drafted higher, so I encourage you to do your best in every game. The exact criteria will be revealed later in the tournament, and they will not be quite the same as last time. Start guessing, gamers!

(The only other note here is that I will disqualify you from this side competition if you are disqualified from the main competition. Unfortunately for you, the team with the #1 pick this year is coming off of a scandal, and has made it clear they plan to pick a gamer of sound character.)

If you have any other questions about the #1 Kongregate Draft Pick, please ask in this thread!

CURRENT ROUND LINK

The Championship, Sierra 7, Rogue Soul, William and Sly

Flag Post

RULES

As this tournament potenitally mirrors the NCAA basketball tournament, I will be taking on the role of the NCAA and punishing rule-breakers. In real life, we have agents paying players, widespread academic fraud, drinking, drugs, electronics theft, and occasionally murder. On Kongregate, we have hackers and trolls.

As Dr. Peter Venkman once said, “My friend, don’t be a jerk.”

Also please note that even if this ends up being styled after the World Cup, whose governing body has a reputation for being less, um, strict about the rules, these all still apply. World Cups shouldn’t be in Qatar, and cheaters shouldn’t be in this tournament!

Here are The Rules:

1. Don’t hack or cheat or edit screenshots. I’m sure you’re all aware of this. However, I dislike hackers more than most tournament hosts (the NCAA hates cheaters), so pay attention:

a. If you have been disqualified for any reason within the last ten tournaments, you will be assumed to be under a show-cause penalty, and you’ll have PM me an argument as to why I should allow you to participate.

b. If you hack (or otherwise cheat) during my tournament, and I catch you, you will be assigned last place for the whole tournament, no matter which round you hacked in. In addition, I will ban you from participating in the next tournament I host, assuming I ever host another tournament. In addition, you suck.

c. If you are disqualified for some other reason (e.g. trolling), you will be given last place in the round you are currently in. If your trolling is particularly disruptive and malicious, you will be given last place for the whole tournament, and hopefully the admins bring down the wrath of greg on your head. If you have an affinity for posting costumed crustaceans, please reevaluate your life.

2. Please inform me if you find something wrong with a game. If it’s something like lag, overdependence on luck, etc., just let me know. You can PM or whisper me, or post in the thread. If, however, you find an exploit, inform me privately. Similarly, if you suspect that someone is hacking, contact me privately. Do not accuse anyone in the tournament threads. I will investigate thoroughly.

3. You are free to provide videos of your gameplay, but this is not necessary. I am considering using video for the semi-finals and/or finals; once the finalists are determined, I’ll see if they are able to do so. If they can’t, that’s fine—we’ve had a lot of people who’ve had to jump through hoops to try to do videos, and I’m not looking to inconvenience anyone here.

If a player has been accused of hacking, and there is significant evidence pointing to such, I may require video proof of his or her performance.

4. The spreadsheet for this tournament was designed for the original LSM by JimmyCarlos and Ceasar. Known cool person hamuka helped me bring it to you here, in the fine year 2014. Feel free to thank them and generally acknowledge their status as awesome people that successfully overcame my probably age-related inability to do anything with spreadsheets.

5. Have fun!

PRIZES

Special thanks here go out to Kongregate and IAmTheCandyman. We will be giving out Kong points prizes to all players who reach the Final Four.

CHAMPION – 100 Points
RUNNER-UP – 75 Points
THIRD PLACE – 50 Points
FOURTH PLACE – 40 Points

Additionally, we will be giving out 20 Points to the Kongregate #1 Draft Pick. While your performance in the tournament will determine how many “chances” you get in our lottery, the winner of this side event will be determined by RNG, so everyone has a chance to win this. Additionally, it means that a single player could earn as many as 120 points in this tournament.

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW

The qualies will end in one week, on June 6, 2014, at 8:00 pm EST.

The spreadsheet is here.

Flag Post

At last we come to the QUALIFIER. Feel free to have not read the above. In order to qualify for Lousy Smarch Madness 2, you will need to post a screenshot with the required qualification score or task from any one of three distinct challenges. (You’re free to do all three if you like, of course, but you don’t have to.)

Perhaps you consider yourself a gamer above all else, lightning reflexes and boundless focus? Perhaps you see yourself as an artist, creative, the type of person who hates to color between the lines? Or perhaps you’re the type of person who is named Precarious. Dear friends, I have a qualifier for all of you.

Dr. Precarious: Case of the Deadly Party

Dr. Precarious is on the case, and maybe you will be too. All you need to do to qualify with this game is beat the game, while saving at least 10 guests. Please make sure that you have the guests saved stat visible on the today tab, and the green/yellow plug next to your name in the top right corner of your screenshot.

Panic

Fast paced and unforgiving, Panic more-or-less lives up to its title. To qualify with this game, however, you merely need to score 20,000 points. Please note that higher difficulties provide a multiplier for your score. Please make sure you have the score API visible in the today tab, and the green/yellow plug next to your name.

And now, for those of you who have been getting teasers in chat, the moment you’ve all been waiting for. Friends and competitors, this is without question the best qualifier task ever. All the credit for the idea goes to my co-host LethalMutiny.

As many of you may know, Remnants of Skystone closed today, and I am not thrilled with Flipline at the moment. Thus, it is time for our revenge. They may want you to power Papa’s ever growing empire of fattening foodstuffs, but we’re not bound by what they want.

Your job is to bring out your inner Picasso, that Pollock lurking deep inside you, and turn lunch into something that could could probably be displayed at the Met.

Simply put, play ANY Papa’s game, and do whatever you want to and with the food. Feel free to use either the final station, or the customer reaction. Art is subjective, and so is this task: I’ll take whatever you give me. But your fellow competitors are watching: surely you want show that you belong in Papa’s Louvreia.

API and even the green/yellow plug are unnecessary for this task, because who am I to put restrictions on corporate sabotage art?

The qualies will end in one week, on June 6, 2014, at 8:00 pm EST.

The spreadsheet is here. Have fun guys.

Flag Post

Woop, Prec’s tourney! Can’t wait to see what games you’ve picked xD

Flag Post

In the original Lousy Smarch Madness I was ninja’d in the Round of 64 by Cal with the #2 score of the round. Soooo… Let’s not let that happen again

Flag Post

So here begins Lousy Smarch Madness 2. May your tournament hopes not end as quickly as Tim Tebow’s football career.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Prec tourney ooo. I like the fooderia qualifier task :3

Flag Post

Flag Post

How precarious.

I only let 8 of them die am I a hero yet?

Flag Post

Here’s my pizza

Whatshisface is not an appreciator of abstract art it seems

Flag Post

I call it: Jabba with lushious hair.

I call this one, Tears of Blue

I call it: The Multilayered Oreo

Call whatever you want to with this one

I call this one, Man with Crystal Meth.

I call this one, Sorry for the really long TOAST.

I call it, the Cockinator.
once seen, it cannot be unseen.

THE MOST MANNLEREST TACO

i call it, the swagsterpiece

Flag Post
Originally posted by Blizzard2000:

[Double my score]

Show off.

Flag Post

Flag Post

As a reminder, having API isn’t that important in the qualifier, but once the tournament starts any scores with invalid API won’t be taken.

EDIT: Also, if you would like your creation named in the Papa’s Gallery on the spreadsheet, feel free to include that as well, otherwise we’ll come up with one for you.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Flag Post

omg prec tourny

Flag Post

so preeety

Flag Post

burgertime :3

Flag Post
Originally posted by bentheboom:

Oh shit I forgot how to embed images
Let me try this

Flag Post

Oh shit I forgot how to embed images
Let me try this

Sowee pwec 4 being haxorz I didnt hax 4 dis burger yumm yumm

Flag Post

140k+ is ok, fun game.

Flag Post

THE HOLY MOTHER OF GOD Burger
By: Holy2334

Ingredients:

• 20 Hamburger Patties
  • 20 Slices of Cheese
  • 20 Squirts of Mayo
  • 20 Squirts of Mustard
  • Bottom Bun
  • Top Bun

Directions:

1. Grill up 20 Burgers
 photo Burgerpt1_zpsc0a783ab.png
Note: I grilled up 24 just in case I had enough room.

2. Start lair with bottom bun, patty,mustard,mayo,cheese and repeat till you get to the top.
 photo burgerpt2_zpsa569a49b.png

3. Put top bun on the top of the burger and put on tray with ticket.
 photo burgerpt3_zpsb732d299.png

Final Step: Enjoy!
 photo Burgerpt4_zpsa162da24.png

Work at it’s finest.