Forums Kongregate

Rate ALL THE GAMES

30 posts

Flag Post

Okay, I’m obviously not new to this site (heck, I used to heckle a few mods and admins), but this latest trend is starting to get on my nerves. What is it?

The shameful act of asking to rate a game 5 minutes in. You’ll notice it if you’re not in full screen, as the right pane window will change from whatever tab you were on (chat, game, achievements) to a separate tab pleading to rate whatever game you just happen to be on.

Why is it bothering me so much? As much as I can expect it from games I’ve never rated, let alone played, I should not expect it from a game I tend to be on EVERY DAY I happen to come on (for those wonder, it’s Anti-Idle: The Game, which I’ve already rated).

This kind of nonsense needs to stop, seriously. It’s tempting me to consider other sites like AG or NG (cringe).

Flag Post

It’s not rage-inducing enough to going to tempt me to go elsewhere, but it definitely irritates me a little.

Especially when you keep revisiting a game (I like just doing one level at a time on some games), and it seems to think ’I’ll rate this later’ means ‘please bug me to rate this game every single time I play it’.

Flag Post

What I hate is that it asks me to rate a game while it is in Beta or that I’ve rated. I’m not considering other sites because of it, but I find it annoying.

Flag Post

It’s certainly been getting on my nerves. I feel kind of bad because I usually take my frustration out on the game when determining my rating.

Somehow I don’t think that was what Kongregate intended to happen when they created this “feature”.

Flag Post

Now, I’m not suffering from any rage induction, but it is rather irritating. I don’t even think I’m asking for much here, since one doesn’t need a completely separate tab opening up to rate a game. After all, isn’t that what the stars under the game screen are for? o.O

Flag Post

I think it’s a brilliant idea if you like constantly being interrupted by other people. Or if you want people stop reading the instructions by showing the ratings page instead.

I like it because it makes me hand out more 1/5 than I was supposed to. Also I can get more Kong points too while levelling up and I usually forgot to rate things. :P

Perhaps it’s even better if you put a popup in the middle of the game screen with a message like: “Hi, I’m Kong’s CROWbar. It looks like you’re playing this game, why not rate it first?” with the rating stars just under it, and you can’t continue playing without rating it first.

< /sarcasm >

Flag Post

I don’t mind it when it’s a game I haven’t rated. I found it pretty frustrating when I was trying to play the new jtmbmbmtmtb game the other night and it kept offering me avatars, asking me to rate it, etc. opening the tab once, for a game I forgot to rate, I could put up with, I guess, but I’d prefer to be able to opt out of it. I definitely don’t want the tab to keep reopening with avatars and whatever.

Flag Post

This tab didn’t open for games I have already rated.
And I found pretty natural that it opens for games which I didn’t.

Flag Post

It’s really annoying.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Maritos:

Flag Post
Originally posted by ForcedU2:
Originally posted by Maritos:

It opens even if you can’t rate the game, if you’ve already hit the 24 hour limit.

Flag Post

Relax op, it´s a volunteer feat, no one is forcing you to rate them.

Flag Post

But if I were you I’d just give it 1/5 to get rid of the nag screen. You can always improve it later (if necessarily).

Flag Post

A lot of people will probably rate a game 1/5 when getting annoyed at that tab coming up, which will lead potentially great games to have a low rating when getting out of judgement, which will then lead those games to get less views than they would otherwise have, which will then lead to those games drowning among all the crappy spam games.

I wish that tab could be done as a chat message instead.

Flag Post

It’s annoying indeed. I just hope they have an option to turn it off.

Flag Post

More than anything I think the problem is that it sets a bad precedence in making it clear from kongregates side that a rating at all is more important than an informed rating.

Flag Post

My behavior as I see this is to rate 1/5 so as to make the popup go away. Then if I remember later, I will adjust my rating to what I really would have rated it. But again, I already have my point for rating, and if I forget then the game is stuck with a 1 star from me (even though it might deserve more).

FYI for devs who trigger these sort of popups. I am sure I am not the only one with this position.

-Pip

Flag Post

Not to mention that it’s persistent even if you’ve rated 50 games that day and any rating you do won’t be valid. It disappears when you ‘rate’ it and reappears a few minutes later.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheRealPip:

My behavior as I see this is to rate 1/5 so as to make the popup go away. Then if I remember later, I will adjust my rating to what I really would have rated it. But again, I already have my point for rating, and if I forget then the game is stuck with a 1 star from me (even though it might deserve more).

FYI for devs who trigger these sort of popups. I am sure I am not the only one with this position.

-Pip

FYI, devs don’t trigger the rating popups. Unless you’re referring to site devs, of course.

Flag Post

Are you sure about that? I assumed it was a new API thing, but I kept getting a rating update request / new avatar update request every time I beat a level in a new game. Maybe this is triggered by Kong when I get a stat API update from the game though.

-Pip

Flag Post

I haven’t seen avatar things (except in Kongridle) and I’m 99.999% sure the rating thing is from Kongregate.

Flag Post

New avatar requests can be made through a function call from the Kongregate API and it’s the dev who controls when the avatar requests appear.

Flag Post

One step forward, two steps back.

Flag Post

Oh gawd, the new avatar requests from Curl Up And Fly are ridiculous. Just when I close one tab down, I swear another comes up. >.<

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheRealPip:

Are you sure about that? I assumed it was a new API thing, but I kept getting a rating update request / new avatar update request every time I beat a level in a new game. Maybe this is triggered by Kong when I get a stat API update from the game though.

-Pip

I’m a dev myself so of course I’m 100% sure about that. Rating update requests are auto-triggered by Kong after you play for a short interval (5 minutes?) and it happens in literally every game, API or not. The avatar requests, on the other hand, are dev-triggered using an API.

While the rating requests are annoying, I would advise against rating 1/5 when it happens, because it hurts the dev and it doesn’t really solve any problem. It’s not like the game developers want those popups to come up anyway.