Forums Kongregate

Does anybody else hate - / + comments?

12 posts

Flag Post

It’s stupid and irritating that these systems still exist, often 90% of comments thumbed down aren’t even bad posts, I play Adventure Capitalist, and one player posted about players changing system times to gain more cash, and I jokingly said “You’re giving everyone the ultimate investment tip.” and the guy who unintentionally tells everyone how to cheat gets many thumbs up and I, the guy making a joke gets 220 thumbs down….humourless jerks.

Then a guy (at the time of posting this) has recieved three thumbs down for asking a question about angel investors, which you can earn in game, he asked how you earn them…….ARE YOU NOT EVEN ALLOWED TO F**KING ASK QUESTIONS? This thumbing system is stupid, why not just have a report function instead?

Yes, I ironically have one of the highest rated comments on a game I played a while ago.

Flag Post

There is a report function.

However, I agree with you. When used correctly, this is a great way to bring quality comments to the forefront. However, it’s not used correctly, so it’s quite useless.

I’m not entirely sure of the solution, otherwise I’d make a suggestion. But yeah, this is one of the many forgotten aspects of the site that need some love.

Flag Post

Most of the highly rated comments on AdVenture Capitalist are decent suggestions; some of which the dev has replied to. So the comment rating system is working. I can’t really judge why people downrate other comments that aren’t spam/offensive etc. maybe people get frustrated with pointless comments and questions that have already been addressed.

Maybe they could remove/lower the down-vote threshold, so innocent questions/suggestions aren’t automatically(?) hidden and disregarded, and save the comment hiding for posts which are flagged.

Flag Post

This thread, and OP’s complaining made me wonder (and this is the half baked solution/change I mentioned) … Why is the vote number for each comment visible at all? It’s not really necessary for the comment and only complicates things with ego. Also, I’m sure the snowball effect matters as well (this comment is highly rated positively/negatively so I’m going to assume it’s good/bad and rate accordingly).

Ditch the visible number completely (still track it behind the scenes to determine top comments, of course) and switch to thumbs up and thumbs down, since that makes more sense, in my opinion.

Flag Post

just get rid of downvoting.

Flag Post
Originally posted by RollerCROWster:

just get rid of downvoting.

You mean like Facebook? So then, scores of people can spam the question: Where’s the dislike button?

Flag Post

I actually agree with getting rid of downvoting. It seems like the only thing the votes determine is which comments appear in the top comments section. Bad comments would get buried by recent comments anyway.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mousethecat:

I actually agree with getting rid of downvoting. It seems like the only thing the votes determine is which comments appear in the top comments section. Bad comments would get buried by recent comments anyway.

Not only that, often questions to things some people miss often get downvoted by players who dislike new players or something, or someone points out a bug in the game and gets thumbed down 30 times. It’s like people are all

“How dare you point out game errors!” but yet those same people would probablys point out errors all the time in other games.

Flag Post

I also think downvoting should be eliminated, or at least limited to a certain number of downvotes per day so people can’t abuse it. It’s the main reason why I rarely comment on here anymore; it’s disheartening to take the time to write a brief but helpful comment or question only to come back later to find it has a rating of -2 and have no idea why..

Flag Post

Different people interpret the voting system in different ways. Sometimes it’s whether they agree with the post, sometimes it’s whether they think the comment is helpful, sometimes it’s just if the comment makes them smile. One option would be to have +/- as helpful/unhelpful, and “like” as a separate button, but honestly I think that would complicate things.

Having followed the Adventure Capitalist comments for a while, I assume that the question about investors was downvoted because it has been asked – and answered – literally hundreds of times already in the comments. But this just illusrates a problem, really – the helpful answers aren’t making it to the top. I think one of the reasons for that is once the top comments are showing, everybody sees them so they’re more likely to be upvoted even further and will stay above other more recent posts, even if those other posts are more useful to be visible. I think people rarely click to view more comments (if they did, they’d see those questions/answers).

Personally I wouldn’t want to see the voting system disappear altogether. Another option I’ve seen on other sites is that players don’t all have an equal vote rating. For example, when new Kongregate users press +/-, it counts as one vote; players with Kongregate level over 15 count as 2 votes, players with a level over 40 counts as 3 votes… or something. Basically this means that people who have been around a while and have played a broad range of games have more influence over which comments are voted up and down, which may make the ratings more sensible.

Flag Post

So basicly, if you’re higher ranked, you gain more influence. Great if you’re a player who rates comments fairly, bad news if you’re an asshole who thumbs down everyone for no reason.

Flag Post

Basically, yeah. But one jerk still can’t downvote something all by themselves. I’ve seen it be pretty successful elsewhere. Effectively you’d be saying that people over a certain level have been around Kongregate long enough and played enough games to be able to make informed judgements about comments. It would also give some kind of bonus to those who have committed a lot of time to this site (there have also been many discussions about the fact that levelling up doesn’t really give any tangible perks). Just an idea though :)