Forums Kongregate

Moderating.

13 posts

Flag Post

How does one become a moderator for chat? I have been monitoring chat and warned people not to yell out obscenity everywhere. I helped stop fights between two people countless times and I was wondering, helping to quell these problems would be easier if I was a moderator for the chat. I have to constantly remind people that kids and family use the chat so they shouldn’t say genital parts or talk about stuff of the sort and maybe they would stop if a moderator was in the area.

I am online everyday and I never swear in the chat or cause problems.

Thoughts?

Flag Post

Begging for a moderator position with nobody to prove your references decreases your chances, especially if you want to be a strict mod, which you seem to want to be.

Flag Post

There is a section in the help on this: http://www.kongregate.com/pages/help#become, as well as many threads.

Here’s an excerpt, but I suggest you read the entire section as well as find the other threads:

Realistically, most moderators are appointed after a private nomination by current moderators. Friendliness, maturity, and professionalism can go a long way in getting yourself nominated. Demonstrating a zealousness in promoting yourself to a moderator position will likely disqualify yourself entirely, as it makes us question both your motives and your maturity level.

Flag Post

If this kind of thing is happening in chat, it’s a better idea to find a moderator in another room to come help you, rather than to argue it out with the trolls who won’t listen unless you have “real” power. Try The Van, General. As for new mods, it’s discussed in private with Greg and the other mods, you can’t nominate youself, and bothering people to become a mod doesn’t help your chances. And a sure fire way is of course to hang in the Van. ;-)

Flag Post

Im not a mod myself, but what pie said is basically the correct thing to do.

Flag Post

Motive definatly come into play with this one. I mean, I know not everybody uses the forums, but for a guys first post to be asking for being a moderator makes me question his motives. But that is up to the staff.

Also, ARCANECODER HAXXED! GIANT AVY!!!

Well, not as giant as that emogirl user (can’t remembenr the exact name, but it was somewhere as big as a book cover).

Flag Post

Arcane coder is the ultimate haxXer. Phear him.

Just to point out, me and arcaneCoder are mods.

Flag Post

There is something wrong with avvies. Valkyrie ’s is a bit bigger than normal avvies. ElementalM totally broke it.

Flag Post

It is sarcasm…

Flag Post

Lol, im not begging for moderation. I’m just asking what are the requirements? I want to hang around the van but Digg Mark 1 needs someone to help.. Many trolls being fed there 0_0;

Flag Post

Regarding ‘backseat moderating’ – while everyones help is needed to keep the scene peaceful, if there is a problem you shouldn’t try to act like a moderator or tell others what to do as if you feel you have the authority. You certainly should not be actively ‘monitoring chat’ for problems. None of that contributes to the peacefulness. Even moderators should not necessarily just be going in solely to monitor chat, unless they’ve been specifically called in to solve a problem. Most good moderators are in chat because they want to chat or play, and if something happens while they are there they can help resolve it. They are not primarily sent in scan the horizon for troublemakers.

In fact, stepping in to deal with trolls actually hurts your chances in some cases, as it violates the Behavior Guidelines:
bq. Don’t feed the trolls. If someone is acting in an inappropriate manner, please leave the situation up to the moderators online. If there are none, or they’re not responding, let us know. Please do not “fight back” or get drawn into an argument with them. That’s why they’re doing it in the first place — to get a reaction.

Again, thats not to say you cant ever help, as each situation is unique. Cooperation and help is greatly appreciated by the moderators. But the point is, if you push it to the point of always taking things into your own hands, or specifically looking for trouble to break up, well you’re not likely to be nominated.

Though of course, we know your intentions are good. You just need to direct them properly, make sure you are following the guidelines and not do all of this with the intention of backseat moderating or make threads to nominate yourself :).

Flag Post

well, i don’t look for trouble to solve it. I just wait and see if it keeps on going on, then I just say that be careful because they’re breaking chat rules. I might have phrased everything I’m trying to say wrongly but you know my intentions ^^;

Flag Post

I think mod rating isnt enough, you should also have guru voting (people over level 20-30)