Forums Kongregate

Can we fix chat lag somehow?

28 posts

Flag Post

Hello.
Sometimes i log in and chat is really laggy and sometimes it’s fine.
Sometimes you can lose chat connection really easy and be unable too chat at all.
Sometimes not.
Can we fix this?

Flag Post

Maybe you have bad connection, just kidding ;)

Flag Post

I think that it matters on he servers kong uses.If the servers have 7k people to let chat then they will run slow but with only about 2k they would be fine.

Flag Post

So what’s happening when there is chat lag is that the chat server itself is fine, but is waiting on a response from the database, which has gotten backed up because of some slow queries. So we’re continually working on improving the database performance, which is currently suffering due to some slow queries related to high scores. We’re working on optimizing those queries and moving the database to better hardware. Once we’re finished with that I hope the lag will be a thing of the past.

Flag Post

*Points at that beta sign above the letter E *

Flag Post

Yeah for the lag problems getting fixed

Flag Post

I don’t have lagg, but anyway, should this be in Technical support section?

Flag Post

So more half-hearted responses about fixing lag. When is this actually gonna get done like billions of other things. Everything seems to take an age here. The site has been slow for over 4 months. Maybe you should actually hire a sys admin and do some of the networking yourself rather than rely on a company to do it for you.

Flag Post

Would it not be more efficient if the chat server and stats were being queried to different databases, even different domain/ip addresses? I imagine during peak times they are both extremely active, if the game requests were not affecting the chat, it would likely improve the quality of both.

Flag Post

Wan2Play, we have hired a sysadmin and are building our own cluster, which is nearing completion. Unfortunately it has been plagued with problems due to a bad switch damaging a lot of equipment. We’ve had to have CPUs or motherboards replaced on half the servers, and figuring out what was causing the problem and what was bad has taken a long time.

There’s nothing half-hearted about this, we’re frustrated as hell. And in the four months you’ve talked about our site traffic has doubled, on the same hardware. If it had only grown 50% the site would be fast all the time but that’s not the case.

William — yeah, we’re looking at a separate db for stats. But it’s not a change we can/want to make quickly.

Flag Post

me to

Flag Post

Wow Emily really seems to know what she is talking about.

Flag Post

So more half-hearted responses about fixing lag. When is this actually gonna get done like billions of other things. Everything seems to take an age here. The site has been slow for over 4 months. Maybe you should actually hire a sys admin and do some of the networking yourself rather than rely on a company to do it for you.

Actually, the site has improved a lot in speed recently (guess you didn’t notice). Part of being on a beta site, is dealing with these kind of problems. If you take into consideration the traffic increase as Emily pointed out, you’ll understand its a constant battle.

Flag Post

I barley even notice this site is beta its just so great!

Flag Post

If you had an intelligent sys admin all these problems would have been solved. It seems as though there are lots of problems with your network, and hosting! In fact, for some reason Kong never speeds up for me. I’m in Canada by the way.

Flag Post

Didn’t Arcanecoder just say this is a beta site?That means that there are going to be flaws.Since the site is being tested all the kinks have to worked out,just give it time.

Flag Post

wah wah wah

wan2play, if you want it to speed up why don’t you buy them a new server instead of complaining about what they’re working on.

Flag Post

I’m in Canada by the way.

Canada FTW. I’m in Canada too but I rarely have lag problems. Either that or I’m used to it and don’t really care.

Flag Post

HOLY >>>> its crushproof!!! hides

Anyways, its still beta and @wan2play I fell that you need to complain less and do more. Play some games, the site has been working perfect for me.

Flag Post

If you had an intelligent sys admin all these problems would have been solved. It seems as though there are lots of problems with your network, and hosting! In fact, for some reason Kong never speeds up for me. I’m in Canada by the way.

That’s conjecture. Plus, if things are not speeding up for you, you might consider issues on your end. The recent changes to the database have substantially improved performance, despite the huge traffic increase. Even now Kongregate is discussing improving performance in the area of their content delivery systems.

Regardless, they are constantly finding ways to improve the situation, as well as respond personally to these complaints, which is exceptional for many companies (take my ISP’s customer service for instance, who consistently and downright blatantly ignore my emails regarding their latency issues, despite being a paying customer for years). That being the case it makes your statements a bit unfair and inaccurate. Its always easy for a person to act like they have the solution when in fact they are a bit naive about the source of the problems in the situation.

But, if it continues, you can always ask for your money back. Oh, wait… XD

Flag Post

I understand that Emily, you would want to ensure the new database runs flawlessly as to prevent any kind of outage. Also if there is a way to optimize the current setup I wouldn’t blame you for doing so :)
As a programmer and the agony I go through some days, when someone who has no idea what I’m doing will ask why I don’t do it another specific way… and low and behold it’s the solution I was looking for.

As another suggestion, I found my connection became much better once I disabled the facebook addition. The extra queries tended to slow my game play as well as chat. I rarely experience more than a 2-3s lag anymore.

*Great work to those who fixed the chat friends list btw :)

Flag Post

I would say that the problem is not that the database is too slow, but that the database is being accessed at all. Really, why do you need to fetch something from a database just to relay a chat message? It’s a useless extra round-trip. All the necessary data should be fetched from the database when the user connects, and then held in local state for the duration of the session.

Flag Post

You don’t need to access the database during a chat message, but you sure do for statistics/achievements/badges/challenges (which are currently submitted at a rate of many, many times per second).

Flag Post

One might say that running all the server event communications through the chat would come under a bad design choice then :)

Flag Post

Lags are less now. I was on since April something and the chat system has really improved. But yes, we do suffer from chat lag. I have experienced where just about 30 people are in a chatroom and it lags like CRAZY. Takes about 5 minutes for the message just to get out.