Forums Kongregate

Better Kongregate Firefox Add-on [UPDATED: Oct 23, 2012] page 18

435 posts

Flag Post

That should happen to everyone who has Better Kongregate. Until BK gets updated, this problem will stay.

Flag Post

I don’t use it, but from what I’ve read, all it takes to fix it is to disable the Chat Highlight script, which is the one that got screwed after the update, so you should be able to keep using the rest of the add-on functionalities.

Flag Post

Sorry for the delay, but at least I have some good news: I’ve just uploaded a new build (BK 5.0), which you can download here. Hopefully it fixes all of the recent (and not so recent) problems.

Note that since that version hasn’t officially been reviewed yet, BK won’t automatically update to that version just yet. Once it’s been reviewed, that should happen fairly quickly though.

If you encounter any problems with the new version, please let me know by replying here or (preferrably) sending me a whisper, since I’m not very active in the forums anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and sorry for all the trouble!

Flag Post

Great to hear about the fix, Vent, the Chat Highlighting is one of my favourite parts of Better Kongregate, and I’m glad it’s working again. I’ve been using this add-on since day one (quite literally), so I’m glad it’s still being cared for.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ventero:

Sorry for the delay, but at least I have some good news: I’ve just uploaded a new build (BK 5.0), which you can download here. Hopefully it fixes all of the recent (and not so recent) problems.

Note that since that version hasn’t officially been reviewed yet, BK won’t automatically update to that version just yet. Once it’s been reviewed, that should happen fairly quickly though.

If you encounter any problems with the new version, please let me know by replying here or (preferrably) sending me a whisper, since I’m not very active in the forums anymore.

Anyway, thanks for your patience and sorry for all the trouble!

ty so much. i started panicing a little when chat wouldnt show up even though i here the pm sounds

Flag Post

oh dear, it appears that firefox didnt approve v5.0 :( (or was it 5.1)

Flag Post

After yesterday fixes it seems that the Chat Highlight script is broken and is muting all again.
Maybe it’s a good chance to reupload a fixed version to the mozilla addons page.

Flag Post

What Red said. Thanks to the fixes the other day it seems a lot of the scripts in Better Kong have been broken and what not. Please, if anyone reads this, fix it. I thoroughly enjoy all that Better Kong offers and miss it already. In particular, the features I noticed were the “Hover PM / Timestamp” option, it occasionally makes PM’s not appear even though it says that you have one, and the chat resizer is not working anymore. Other than that, I don’t know about any of the other features, but those are the ones I use / are influenced by the most. Anyway, my two cents worth.

Flag Post

Does anyone use the “In Chat Timestamp” script, is this still working? It seems to be broken on my one, using FF ESR 17.0.5

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ventero:

About BK: BK actually uses a lightweight, built-in version of the framework script (since the addon is FF only anyway, it doesn’t need a framework with all the cross browser compatibility stuff). The downside is of course that whenever any of the scripts breaks, the whole addon has to be updated. Now the problem is that addon updates have to be reviewed by AMO (addons.mozilla.org) editors, and while it has never been a problem before, the last 3 times the addon was reviewed, it was rejected due to the code contained in some of the user scripts. I don’t have the time to sort out all the scripts that might potentially cause the addon to be rejected, so as a result there probably won’t be a new BK version on AMO.

However, for those who desperately want BK instead of manually installing the scripts with Greasemonkey, I’ve uploaded a new BK version that contains the fixed framework stuff and the latest versions of all scripts.
A few important notes about that version though:

• it’s completely untested
  • there will be no support for the addon – if a script is broken, try installing it manually with Greasemonkey – if that doesn’t fix the problem, it won’t be fixed
  • no automatic updates – while I might upload a new version of the extension when it becomes necessary, any such update won’t be detected automatically