Forums Kongregate

Forum script: Compact index customization

34 posts

Flag Post

Some people feel like the forums index takes too much scrolling to get around, so while I don’t necessarily need this myself, I have made a script that compacts the forum titles.

It is customizable, so you can edit the script preferences section and choose to hide the post stats, display them one one or two lines, as well as display the “last post” box text on one or two lines. Additionally, you can change the amount of forums displayed in the games section.

Options available:

// Changes the font size of the forum titles. 
// The default is "1.4em" at the current time. If you set showPostStats=false and
// compactLastPostBox=true, then "1em" is a good setting to try.
var fontSize = "1em";

// If set to false, this will hide the post statistics that normally show up under each forum title
var showPostStats = true;

// If showPostStats is true and this is true, the stats will appear on the same line as the forum title.
// If you want the stats to be below like normal, set this to false.
var postStatsOnSameLine = true;

// If this is true, the script will try to put the text in the last post box on one line, which
// will compact the vertical space even more
var compactLastPostBox = true;

// Limits the game forum list to a maximum number. The rest can be viewed by clicking
// "See all game forums". 
var gameListLimit = 2;

Change these settings and refresh the index to customize the page.

You must have Greasemonkey (or browser equivalent) installed to use this script. Once you have it installed and running, open the script location below and you will be prompted to run the script.

Releases:

1.2 [09-17-09]
  Click here to install the script

Preview of default settings:

Flag Post

Thanks arcaneCoder!

EdIt- My name is on there! (Last post on Kongregate)

Flag Post

You’re amazing. I’m on a friend’s computer at the moment, but I shall see about doing this later. =)

Flag Post

Sweetness aC.

Flag Post

If you installed, install again. I had to update the run locations as they didn’t save. You might have got a broken one otherwise.

(I did this quickly so sorry if there are mistakes)

EDIT: You are welcome.

Flag Post

Ye I noticed how it didn’t work :P

Flag Post

Let me know if it works properly for you after a reinstall.

Flag Post

Sorry for the epic noobness. But I’m not sure what I’m meant to be doing here.

Flag Post

Click on the link again to install it and look at the forum index to make sure it looks like the pic.

Flag Post

I’ve re-installed it. Nothing happened :P My noobness is most likely the problem.

Flag Post

Go to http://www.kongregate.com/forums

(Script updated)

Flag Post
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Go to http://www.kongregate.com/forums

(Script updated)

Well it works now, but it didn’t before :P
Anyway thanks for using your time on this.

Flag Post

Is it supposed to make you able to drag around the Type of forum thing, or do you program it…?

Flag Post

If you want to see the full forum descriptions, but just cut down the number of “games forums” shown, you can comment out everything between “DO NOT EDIT” and var tables = .

Any chance on adding an option for whether descriptions are shown or not?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pivotman99:

Is it supposed to make you able to drag around the Type of forum thing, or do you program it…?

It’s doesn’t allow you to drag anything around. It just compacts things.

Flag Post

Works like a charm, thanks for the script.

Flag Post

Nice script! This really gives the new forums a cleaner look. I’ll have to play with some of these settings in the morning when I’m not bleary-eyed. Do you mind if I include this in my Better Kongregate add-on?

Question: Would it be possible to put the forums with the most recent posts at the top? I noticed that the new games sub-forum is sorted alphabetically, which is not really ideal, if you ask me.

Flag Post

If you made the “See all game forums” text a bit smaller, I would love you. But still, lovely script, just downloaded it. As usual, you do not fail to surprise, aC.

Flag Post

Great stuff, downloaded and I love it. I’m not totally used to it, but I think it’s better than having to scroll all the way, especially since I’m active in all four of the bottom forums. :P

Thanks for this!

I’m trying to figure out how to make it so I can see all of the games in the main page of the forums (specifically the PR2 forums), though I really don’t know how to do that.

Flag Post

Nice! But can you update it to instead of changing the size, it changes the order?:

+ Removal of the tiles (“About kongregate”, “Games”, “Game creation” etc.) and the black bars above the forum groups
+ Moving the Games to the bottom (Kongregate>Game creation>Non-gaming>Games)

Flag Post

Ya know, even though I wasn’t going to use this script, it actually seems to encourage the visiting of some forums more, due to increased accessibility. I may just keep it on.

Works like a charm, thanks for the script.

Of course, I’m happy anyone can use it!

Do you mind if I include this in my Better Kongregate add-on?

Not at all, feel free.

If you made the “See all game forums” text a bit smaller, I would love you.

Yeah, I feel the same way (about the text. the love, well…). I’ll try.

I’m trying to figure out how to make it so I can see all of the games in the main page of the forums (specifically the PR2 forums), though I really don’t know how to do that.

Edit the script and change gameListLimit to at least 6. I don’t think it will show any more than around 7, even with the script off.

Question: Would it be possible to put the forums with the most recent posts at the top? I noticed that the new games sub-forum is sorted alphabetically, which is not really ideal, if you ask me.

Nice! But can you update it to instead of changing the size, it changes the order?:

Yeah, I thought about that but didn’t want to spend forever on it. I will try to look into it if I get a chance.

I also thought about allowing you to minimize a forum section, like I do in the topic sorting script, so you could hide entire sections. The trick is to allow the script to do all these things, while at the same time making it easy for the user to customize it without getting confused (and not causing the page to run slow with all my quick code).

Flag Post

I think i got a bug from your script, it happened right after i installed it, the script works, but i couldn’t see what others wrote in chat or what i wrote in chat, but Im not sure 100% it’s the script…

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sharingan123:

I think i got a bug from your script, it happened right after i installed it, the script works, but i couldn’t see what others wrote in chat or what i wrote in chat, but Im not sure 100% it’s the script…

The script does not apply to any pages that have chat on it; that I’m aware of. When you install the script it will tell you which pages it operates on.

Flag Post

I ran into a problem after I integrated your script into my firefox add-on. Apparently, the add-on thinks that the changes to the font size apply to any thread pages as well. This is strange, because the page your script works on (kongregate.com/forums) is compacted exactly the way you intended. Here’s a before-and-after example of what I see after I enable the script inside my add-on and view a thread:

Why is this happening?

Flag Post

You’ve got the latest version and double checked where it is running from?

It’s set to run from here, with the only wildcard being the one with ?ts. I set it that way hoping it wouldn’t affect the other pages.

http://www.kongregate.com/forums
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/games
http://www.kongregate.com/forums/games/
http://www.kongregate.com/forums?ts=*

It doesn’t mess any other pages up for me, but I’m not using your extension. Try disabling all the other scripts and toggling just this one and see what happens.