Forums Kongregate

New Kongregate Version (CR 2009.12.14)

72 posts

Flag Post

It’s that time again! I’m sure many of you have noticed a bunch of changes around the website since the deploy last night. We had some time to look at some older requests and features that we’ve wanted to upgrade for a while, so this release has a bunch of small but cool fixes and features that we’ve added.

The highlight for our users this month is probably the new manual AFK system in chat. At your request, we’ve removed the automatic system and given you full control over it.

For the developers, we have a shiny new Developer Center and an awesome new Konduit Application Platform that will allow us to bring a bunch of new and different games to Kongregate.

In addition to those listed below we’ve also put in some new tools for our Community admins to be able to more efficiently work with user communications, abuse reports, and just generally helping everyone on the site have a good time.

As always, please feel free to add comments, questions, and suggestions to this thread.

I’ve included the newest changelog below, though you can also view the full (non-incremental) one at any time here.

Flag Post

CR 2009.12.14

Developers:
- Due to how our stats were set up, an error could occur if you deleted a stat after creating it, so we now prevent deletion of stats. If you have an extra one, no problem - just don't use it. :)
- We opened up accounts/[username]/badges.json so that it can be accessed from api.kongregate.com, meaning that you can now access that json feed in games on Kongregate.
- Fixed an incorrect link on the game upload page to the formatting guide.
- There is a new Developer Center that is a one-stop shop for all of your developer-related links. You can check it out here or by clicking on the word "Developers" in the top navigation bar.
- In the news, we have announced our new Konduit Application Platform for embedding games in iframes on Kongregate and accessing our API through it. You can check out our Gamasutra article to read more about it. It's still in a closed beta, but we're currently evaluating projects for inclusion in it.

Users:
- Revamped how AFK (away from keyboard) works in chat based on feedback from our users. You no longer will automatically go AFK with time - it is now a manual setting. You can use the dropdown "Chat Actions" box, or you can use the chat commands /afk and /back to control your setting. You will come back to active if you type in chat, but PMs and earning badges should no longer set you to active.
- Fixed a bug with the game autocomplete getting covered by ads in some browsers.
- Fixed a formatting issue with Shared Content browsing in IE7.
- Guests (unregistered users) can now see badge names in the achievements tab.
- Fixed a bug that gave you an error if you logged out while on the "Buy Kreds" page.
- Added a cancel button to the Shared Content loading box, so now you shouldn't have to reload the page if it freezes on that white box.
- Added a new Textile formatting guide and linked to it from various Textile-formatting locations (forum posts, shouts, etc.). If anyone has a better example of a mathematical formula that has both a subscript and a superscript, please let me know so I can change it out - the current one sucks. My favorite is e + 1 = 0, but that sadly has no subscript.
- Updated the helper text when posting in the forums so as to not show unsupported features (lists) and to show people how to embed images (a common request in the forums).
- Fixed a Javascript error that would occur when tabbing out of the zip code field on the kreds purchase page.
- Removed links on medals in the profile for quests that are no longer active.
- Added an icon to "Start a game forum thread" on game pages with dedicated game forums.
- Changed private profiles in chat so that you can now mute someone from their chat profile even if they're set to private.
- Added mod (M), forum mod (F), curator (C), and admin (K) icons to forum posts.
- Changed the rules so that thread creators can no longer edit titles of locked threads. Additionally, a thread creator cannot delete their thread after there have been at least 10 posts.
- There is now a link to all of a users' forum posts on their profile page (right above their location details).
- Fixed a bug that was making a user's icon invisible in IE8 on the kreds purchase page.
- Changed the name "Support Center" to "FAQ" to try to be more consistent with other websites. The content's still the same though. :)
- Switched h1 and h2 styles to be in the correct order (previous h2 was bigger than h1).
- Added text to the Current Challenges page to make it clear when we don't currently have a challenge, instead of just being blank.
- After doing some testing and research, we've decided to reformat our game browser to be more efficient and offer bigger images of the games. Check it out!
- OCD Fix: On the Current Challenges page, all challenges had the text "Earn your card >>", even if it was a points challenge. They now will read "Start the challenge >>".

Flag Post

This is the best update I’ve seen for a while, good job Kong staff.

Flag Post

Looks great. Love it. :)

Flag Post

Hurray for a textile guide!

Flag Post

- Changed private profiles in chat so that you can now mute someone from their chat profile even if they’re set to private.

Finally. :)

Additionally, a thread creator cannot delete their thread after there have been at least 10 posts.

No more losses of post count. \o/

There should be a basic HTML guide for the forums, it’s just better than textile.

Flag Post

They should just link hokage’s uber awesome thread on it.

Originally posted by lazypanda:

erm…noticed a problem

If you set your status to AFK, then talk (making it active again) you can’t reset it to AFK

That can probably be fixed soon enough, but you can always use the /afk message.

Flag Post

Wonderful update . . . great job staff!

Flag Post

Yes, we got a report about a bug with the AFK status – I think primarily in Firefox. We’re looking into it, but as Ljrules95 pointed out the /afk and /back commands should continue to work.

Flag Post
the new manual AFK system in chat.

I was wondering when this would come along. The rest are also really great too.

Flag Post

Additionally, a thread creator cannot delete their thread after there have been at least 10 posts.

Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou.

<3

Flag Post

I love ever aspect to this update. :o

Flag Post

Developer-centric updates are much appreciated! Lots of good, previously blackboxed stuff in there from premium games program that will come in handy for anyone making multiplayer games.

Flag Post

OMG, there is a F now. And this morning when I saw that there was a M by mods in forum posts I thought that they should do F’s for forum mods, and I was right! Also in chat yesterday we were talking about the abundance of the little ‘medals’ things by usernames, lol, heres another!

Flag Post

Good Update, But i do quarrel…

It appears to have had the undesired effect..Short term memory loss for KongBot

Now, whenever you PM someone who is unavailable, KongBot will now give you not 1, but 2 messages telling you they’re unavailable…

Apart from that, Nice update!

Flag Post

sweet update!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Badgy_McBadger:

Good Update, But i do quarrel…

It appears to have had the undesired effect..Short term memory loss for KongBot

Now, whenever you PM someone who is unavailable, KongBot will now give you not 1, but 2 messages telling you they’re unavailable…

Apart from that, Nice update!

I just tested this, and I only got one message.

Flag Post

If you’re using one of my reply-scripts or the line highlighter, you’ll only get one message by Kong Bot, since those scripts overwrite the bugged function.
I also updated my AFK-script to integrate the built-in away-function.

Flag Post

Awesome! I like the new AFK system.

Flag Post

I like the textile guide. No, not really, now I’m not the one of the select few who knows the dark secrets of it. But it taught me some, so…

Originally posted by AioriaRox:

No more losses of post count. \o/

And what are you so happy about? More for me.

Waait. The thing clearly says the quote ended way before…

Finally.

Flag Post

so where can I find the developer center?

Flag Post

Click on “Developers” at the top.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MainFrame_Games:

so where can I find the developer center?

- There is a new Developer Center that is a one-stop shop for all of your developer-related links. You can check it out here or by clicking on the word “Developers” in the top navigation bar.

Flag Post

So much win in one update! Yay! :D

Flag Post

Woo, update GET. :D

Now then, time to fiddle with it for any possible bugs.