Forums Kongregate

Time limits on challenges

16 posts

Flag Post

I don’t understand why there is a time limit on the challenges. The only thing that it does is punish people who for whatever reason can’t complete the challenge in the given ammount of time. I didn’t join fast enough to get some of the cards and it’s been months now without a second chance to get them. I also missed out on a few of the point challenges because I have been sick quite a lot recently with bronchitis and strep throat. This I feel is quite amatureish. Why even bother with the challenges if you’ve allready missed twelve cards and there is no way to get them in the forseeable future? If Kongregate was a game instead of a website a flaw like this would turn a 9/10 in to a 7/10.

Flag Post

I can see both sides of this, but since you’ve said your side well I’ll play Devil’s (err…Kongregate’s) advocate. To me, the best part of the challenge system is that it gets everyone in the forums and chat rooms talking about the current challenge and helping eachother out. If all challenges were always active I think this would diminish. Yes, people would talk about whatever new one came out, but there’d also be a lot of confusion with older challenges. The challenge forms a common enemy to fight against and is in a way a bonding experience for the community.

Flag Post

From what I’ve heard the near future will bring us opportunities to get any cards we may have missed. As for the time limit, I, for one, am grateful we get a week to complete the points challenges.

Flag Post

Such is the nature of challenges, and this is not a new thing. As koko said, there will be later opportunities. Additionally, this is different than the achievements system, which will not be time limited.

Flag Post

If I can get the same cards by doing achievements then I’ll be happy. As it is now though I’m thinking about walking away from this site and not coming back. The time limit adds more frustration than fun. The card game looks like a very good idea. But I have to wonder what’s going to happen a year from now when the long time challenge players have 50+ cards and the newcomers have nothing. The newcomer will need to wait months in order to be able to compete. If you need 15 cards in order to compete then you have to wait 75 days at one card every 5 day challenge. And I don’t see how they can advoid a situation where having more cards to choose from gives you a big advantage over those with fewer cards. More cards means more strategys you can use and the better deck you can build.

Flag Post

I’m sure whatever happens, the best interests of all players will be kept in mind. It also doesnt seem reasonable that you wouldnt be able to play until you collected a certain number of challenge cards; thats just silly. You’re likely worrying yourself into quitting for nothing.

Flag Post

Also, keep in mind everyone that if you look at the top of the page there’s a large, bold BETA icon. This is all still in testing phases, and is running quite well for a beta if I do say so myself. So yeah, some things might not seem fair immediately, but they’re going to be worked out. By being a part of this community now you’re getting to try out a great new product but you’re doing so with the understanding that there is some ironing that hasn’t been done yet. :)

Flag Post

We’re still working out the details, but we’re thinking of having 2 modes with the card game — a 3-card mode and a 10-card mode. We want to keep the barrier to entry pretty low. The cards themselves are also balanced with the intention that no cards are strictly more powerful than others; having more of them will simply give you more options when building your deck. Think Guild Wars.

Flag Post

The cards themselves are also balanced with the intention that no cards are strictly more powerful than others

lol so is tht why the last 5 or so cards before the potion one all had the same stat stuff??

Flag Post

All characters have the same stats, but I’m sure that’s subject to change.
A card game where all characters are identic would be kinda strange.
Or, y’know “well balanced”, depending which way you look at it.

Flag Post

I have to disagree, I think it’s good that the challenges and the cards are time limited, that way it’s more rewarding for people who have been around longer, as our cards may be slightly rarer.

Flag Post

But look at this from Kongregate’s side: we (err…they, sorry) want to build up a community. This means attracting new people, and any time you give a significant penalty to newbies you risk scaring them away. Yes, they should have to start and build up over time, but you don’t want to heavily favor (favor, yes, but not heavily) people who’ve been around a long time. It’s a tough balance, but I’m sure they’ll figure it out.

Flag Post

But look at this from Kongregate’s side: we (err…they, sorry) want to build up a community. This means attracting new people, and any time you give a significant penalty to newbies you risk scaring them away. Yes, they should have to start and build up over time, but you don’t want to heavily favor (favor, yes, but not heavily) people who’ve been around a long time. It’s a tough balance, but I’m sure they’ll figure it out.

They say all of the cards are pretty well balanced, though, so that shouldn’t be too much of an issue to anyone but the most devout collectors.

Flag Post

Ahem

You guys are forgetting…y’know,the BACK part of the card?

Flag Post

what about it syl?

Flag Post

The cards have a ton of information that’s not yet displayed anywhere at all. Characters each have 4 unique attacks that each have several stats of their own.