Forums Kongregate

Unity Games

14 posts

Flag Post

Why isn’t the Unity web plugin supported on Kongregate yet?

As in www.unity3d.com.

Well?

Huh?

Flag Post

The Unity Web Plugin will not work, since the API and Chat system is all written in Flash.

Flag Post

The question is why should it be? Its better to work on getting full support for your initial technology than to start pulling in every plugin available while trying to make sure it all works well.

Flag Post

We’re interested in providing support for both Java and Unity, and are working on some changes that will make supporting them (including APIs) easier. But arcane is correct in that it’s a question of priorities — we have so much that we want/need to do that supporting additional languages keeps dropping down the list, particularly there are far, far more games made in Flash, plus nearly 100% penetration on systems, which is not true of Unity.

Flag Post

What about Silverlight? Is that in your future plans at all?

Flag Post

Java would be awesome! I wouldn’t have to PAY $700 to make a game!

Before I rush off and learn Java, is this seriously something you guys are considering, or more of a “meh, we might someday get around to it”?

Flag Post

I wouldn’t rush off and start making java games — I don’t know when we’ll get to it, but given the list of stuff we’re looking at it wouldn’t be for 5-6 months at the earliest.

Flag Post

Java would be awesome! I wouldn’t have to PAY $700 to make a game!

You don’t necessarily have to do that to make Flash games.

Flag Post

I wouldn’t rush off and start making java games—I don’t know when we’ll get to it, but given the list of stuff we’re looking at it wouldn’t be for 5-6 months at the earliest.

But you are going to get to it? Hey, 5-6 months is definitely enough for me to learn Java, I hope.

You don’t necessarily have to do that to make Flash games.

I’ve tried installing Flex, but that’s not possible, because to install it I need to run a script which doesn’t work well.

Flag Post

Luckily I knew JAVA before Flash, and right now I’m stronger in JAVA. However, I would love to have JAVA as an option because there’s things that JAVA does better than Flash, and of course the reverse is true as well. For example, there’s a joystick interface in JAVA now.

But yeah, I can understand your stance.

Flag Post

+1 to Java

Flag Post

Although I am a serious Java programmer, it is not an ideal language for games.
Though I would consider attempting something if it were implemented. The size of games on kongregate should not cause any lag issues, at least not any more than the flash games do.

Flag Post

“What about Silverlight? Is that in your future plans at all?”

I am making a game in silverlight because I have experience with c# and don’t really want to change languages. I am hoping that my game can be hosted on kongregate, even if initially the kongregate API’s don’t support it.

Java applets are also being revamped to compete like silverlight in browser embedded games (see JavaFX). Silverlight out performs flash in many simulations currently so I don’t really see why I would bother learning flash when I already know .NET and Java. Especially when flash gets owned performance wise in comparison to silverlight, see: http://www.devx.com/RIA/Article/37440/0/page/3

I would have thought that kongregate APIs used w3c standards such as wsdl etc. to expose consumable ajax web services. If this were the case then silverlight and java applets could already be used on kongregate.

Another thing to note about silverlight is that it supports many more languages than flash. Silverlight supports currently IronPython, IronRuby, C#, VB.net, Jscript and many more unofficial languages. Java also supports ruby having a JRuby implementation.

In defence of kongregate, I would have implemented facilities for flash first. It is currently the dominant RIA provider. I believe however that flash is going down because it has largely benefited from a niche market which has recently become of interest to the major programming languages who have much larger communities.

I believe the silverlight 1 runtime is about 400kb in size. I think to run silverlight all u need to do with your webserver is to update the mime types. This can be done on apache etc.

Flag Post

Not meaning to shut down any arguments here, but I have to strongly contest those Flash statistics. 38 fps for 64 balls and 20 fps for 128? That made me chuckle. The Flash examples are not very well coded; not enough to make a valid benchmark comparison anyway. Additionally, the frame rate coding is very inaccurate, especially on the higher end.

The Silverlight 2.0 demo runs at (supposedly) 600+ fps with what is presumably 16 spheres (for some reason it doesn’t demo any more than 16, even though the others do). A fairly well coded Flash version with 16 spheres in Flash runs at 120 fps; but only because 120 is the max frame rate allowed. Combine that with the possibly inaccurate high end frame rates displayed, it’s very likely it could pace (or pass) the SilverLight demo; seeing as at takes 0% CPU to run the same Flash simulation standalone (~3% for me in FF). In fact, the Flash version still maxes out its frame rate with 128 spheres – a huge contrast to the 20 fps stated on that benchmark page.
If you don’t believe me, take a look. It didn’t take long to spot the slowdowns and fix them.

Flash Bubblemark Demo

Note that IE also limits the Flash plugin to under 70 fps. Run it in FireFox to get the full performance of the plugin.

Regardless of whether it would or wouldn’t beat SilverLight is not really what I’m trying to point out. I’m just mainly trying to emphasize how poor those statistics are and that performance benchmarks like that aren’t really what you should be relying on for your full opinion anyway.

EDIT: Stumbled across another demo that enforces my theory of post 120 fps performance. Here is an example where multiple frame calculations are being compounded so as to test how far beyond 120 fps Flash can get: http://www.jamesward.org/Bubblemark/ManyMovesPerFrameWeb.html. I get 3300+ fps of calculations; which is much higher than I expected. My version may even get higher, since it performs better with 128 spheres.