Forums Kongregate

The Official Kongregate Competitions/General Forum Games Chit-Chat Thread. page 4

103 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

Well, the rebellion happened long before BC rage quit. Plus, maybe Drovoxx is just giving the working class time to simmer down or they’re just going to lynch the next dictator that steps up too.

The rioting & looting is going to continue until someone fills the vacuum of power.

Flag Post

Ok, well, I wanna sign up to join the tournament thingy. Where is the sign up list?

Flag Post
Originally posted by MelbourneBoy:

Ok, well, I wanna sign up to join the tournament thingy. Where is the sign up list?

It was right on the front page even, it’s right here.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Well, the rebellion happened long before BC rage quit. Plus, maybe Drovoxx is just giving the working class time to simmer down or they’re just going to lynch the next dictator that steps up too.

The rioting & looting is going to continue until someone fills the vacuum of power.

The King is dead. Long live the Interregnum.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Precarious:
Originally posted by LouWeed:

The King is dead. Long live the Interregnum.

Oliver Cromwell still run Britain in the interregnum for 11 years. I knew one day the things i learnt in year 6 history will pay fruit.

Flag Post

Hey guys, I’ve just been informed that I’m the next in line for a tourney, however I thought there were two more people before me so I’m not FULLY prepared. If anyone would like to help out with spreadsheeting, please let me know. I’d also appreciate help off anyone who is relatively good at figuring out photoshopped screenies.

I will be needing a fair few spreadsheeters as I’m planning on doing a relatively big tourney with huge knock-out rounds. Thanks.

Flag Post

If anyone would like to help out with spreadsheeting, please let me know.

I’d like.

I’d also appreciate help off anyone who is relatively good at figuring out photoshopped screenies.

I might be able to do it. Here’s proof:
This is photoshopped. This isn’t.

Flag Post

Are you sure about the first one? I’ve seen a few ‘shops in my day and that doesn’t seem to have been edited at all.

Flag Post

Are you sure about the first one? I’ve seen a few ‘shops in my day and that doesn’t seem to have been edited at all.

Well, it’s possible that I got it backwards.

Flag Post

what do you guys think about having some sort of break in the tournaments? Pausing for a while could cause more people to join them when we start up again and just refresh the idea of competing for everyone.

not right now, but just an idea i think would be cool to discuss.

eh?

Flag Post

That’s actually not a bad idea. (And I’m not just saying this because I won’t be able to compete again until the end of August.)

Flag Post

OK, so I was thinking of running a tournament, and wanted to run my ideas past people to see if they’re just stupid. I was thinking of doing one or more of these:

Double elimination. You have to be in the red zone twice to be eliminated.

Head to head. Everyone is paired up and they just have to beat that one person to advance. (Probably combined with double elimination, so you’re not out in round 1 after getting paired with some powerhouse.)

2 games in a round – but you’d only have to pass one of them. For example, if there were 50 people in a round and 40 would pass, you’d have to be in the top 20 in either game to be assured to pass. If the same people would be in the top 20 in both, which is likely, the passing zone would be extended down in both games until 40 unique people passed. (Obviously, this form of multiple games could not be done with head to head.)

So, what do you think? Good? Bad? Crazy?

Flag Post

How do you choose “Head to head” pairs? Whoever ends up against Cirp is out of the tournament!

Flag Post
Originally posted by BestMte:

How do you choose “Head to head” pairs? Whoever ends up against Cirp is out of the tournament!

My tournament is next, and most of it will be head-to-head. There will be a three game opening round for seeding purposes; your path to the finals will be determined by your performance in those three games.

Flag Post

That problem could be simple to resolve; pair Maist with Cirp.

My tournament is next, and most of it will be head-to-head. There will be a three game opening round for seeding purposes; your path to the finals will be determined by your performance in those three games.

So you can intentionally suck on those games to get paired with easy opponents? And only beat them by what’s necessary?

Flag Post

That sounds really fun.

Flag Post

That’s why I was leaning towards double elimination. Unless you already lost, you won’t be eliminated by losing to him – and if you’re paired against him in the loser’s bracket, it would mean that HE already lost as well.

Originally posted by Blizzard2000:

So you can intentionally suck on those games to get paired with easy opponents? And only beat them by what’s necessary?

I assume that the opposite is true – the good players will be seeded so they do NOT play each other. That’s how I was thinking, anyway. Like the NCAA basketball tournament – in the first round, 1 gets paired with 16, not with 2.

But now that you say that, I may make the seeds even more like the NCAA, in that there are four 1 seeds and four 16 seeds and even if you know everyone’s seeds, you still don’t know exactly who you are going to play until the bracket comes out – this should minimize the risk of people trying to not get a particular score to get paired against a particular player.

Well, this next tournament should give me a good idea on how well things work. Good timing, I guess.

Flag Post

Like the NCAA basketball tournament – in the first round, 1 gets paired with 16, not with 2.

Precisely. The incentive is to be good so that you get paired with someone who did not do as well.

Flag Post

I like the idea of double elimination but rather than head-to-head do the normal “X amount of people in the safe zone”.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ceasar:

That’s why I was leaning towards double elimination. Unless you already lost, you won’t be eliminated by losing to him – and if you’re paired against him in the loser’s bracket, it would mean that HE already lost as well.

Originally posted by Blizzard2000:

I assume that the opposite is true – the good players will be seeded so they do NOT play each other. That’s how I was thinking, anyway. Like the NCAA basketball tournament – in the first round, 1 gets paired with 16, not with 2.

But now that you say that, I may make the seeds even more like the NCAA, in that there are four 1 seeds and four 16 seeds and even if you know everyone’s seeds, you still don’t know exactly who you are going to play until the bracket comes out – this should minimize the risk of people trying to not get a particular score to get paired against a particular player.

Well, this next tournament should give me a good idea on how well things work. Good timing, I guess.

It’s funny that you mention the NCAA tournament, since that’s the actual model for mine—in fact, I’m even mirroring the “First Four” round they added a couple years ago, and actually having a head-to-head micro-round to reduce from 68 competitors to 64.

Right now, my intention is to assign true overall seeds (as the NCAA actually does)—while there will be four #1 seeds, they will actually be the #1-4 players from the seeding round, and the seeding will proceed along a true S-curve. However, if it seems that people are trying to game the system, I may randomize placement so that any 1 can play any 16, etc.

EDIT: That said, I’m still trying to figure out how all the individual match-ups will look on a spreadsheet. So if anyone is interested in helping design that, or can point me to a customizable NCAA-style bracket, I’d appreciate it.

Flag Post

Well, one way is to use a LOT of color, so you can easily see who is paired with who.

Like this.

Flag Post

Prec, you may be interested in Challonge!.

Flag Post

No one has posted here for a while it looks like, and I have a few questions to ask but I don’t want to waste time typing them out when there is no one to answer them.
So is anyone still here?

DarkFang.

Flag Post

Yeah, what do you want to know?

(The topic may not have been posted in in a while, but whenever you post in it, it gets bumped to the first page so that everyone can see it :P)

Flag Post

Well, with as big as the tournaments are I would have thought this would be a more used thread, anyway.

I want to host a event, it will be held in a chat room, but I hope to attract as many people to it as possible, it will be done in a way that is very similar to y’all’s tournaments with a bracket system and people facing off only with out the use of any flash game, I was going to post a add of shorts for it then I read the tournament rules and wanted to ask before I did anything.
Is what I am planing counted as a tournament?

Thank you for your time.
DarkFang.