Forums Kongregate

Where are the mods?

40 posts

Flag Post

Yesterday, like most days, a troll wandered in our chatroom, with the usual explicits and evading of the censor, and I though I would just go get a mod(muteing only works for so long before other people start complaining…). It took me at least 10 rooms before I could find a mod that wasn’t afk. I was just wondering if Kongregate was thinking of inviting more users to be mods? Or waiting for a server update or what?

Flag Post

The site is growing pretty quickly, and we’ve had to add a ton of new rooms lately. There was something like 75 chat rooms a week and a half or so ago, and now there’s around 110. We don’t have enough mods to cover each of those all of time right now. Keep in mind that they’re all volunteers and they like talking to their friends and whatnot too, so it’s difficult to convince them all to give up the little mini-community they’ve helped create in the room they’ve hung out in, and go off to new exciting chat rooms full of new people they don’t know.

We’re always working on getting some more mods, but we have to be confident that they won’t abuse their power, because that could end up being an even larger problem. So the process is kind of slow. Community stuff is obviously becoming a larger and larger priority as the site continues to grow though. We’re currently a bit tied up with some larger projects we had started earlier, but some of the community systems we’ve worked on that you might have heard about are becoming top priority.

In the end, don’t forget we’re a part of the community too, so we want some changes just as much as you do :D There’s just some constraints along the way that we’re overcoming, but keep us from fixing things up instantly, like we all wish we could.

Flag Post

probably the best place to go to is the van where most mods are

Flag Post

Oh Mini, you know all our mods are afk. Especially that guy Matt. :P

Flag Post

<.< you don’t tell them that!

Flag Post

As so many have said before, add more mods to your friends list just in case something like this ever arises, then just send a whisper and hopefully they’ll come running to the rescue…

Flag Post

Also, most rooms that Jimgreer owns probably won’t have a resident mod since Jim is just the default owner.

Heh, I did the math, at 10 hours a week per room, Jim, you have 600 hours to spend in total. 600 hours out of a 190 hour week. :D

Flag Post

you should hire some more people based on like level or something, i would love to be a mod i mean i don’t care what room i am in as long as the people speak english. there isn’t really anyone i look forward to seeing in the chatrooms (except staff of course and the people on my friendslist…well some of them)

Flag Post

Level should have nothing to do with it. There are lot of mature individuals who don’t game as much. They deserve to be modded more than the 1337 haxorz that got all the badges.

Flag Post

Venzael, it’s 680 hours ;)

And nerdrock, you don’t have to be a “1337 haxorz” to get all the badges

Flag Post

And nerdrock, you don’t have to be a “1337 haxorz” to get all the badges

I was gonna say that too…

I’m basically level 26 with only 10 more points needed

Flag Post

No, I know. I just mean there will be people flocking here to get tons of badges (cheating if necessary) because they know that would give them higher advantage for modship.

Flag Post

nerdrock i said

or something

Flag Post

Where are the mods?

The secret mod party room of course. ;P

If you need a mod either room hop until you find one, or PM (you can PM by doing /w name message in chat) a bunch of mods off this list

Flag Post

No, I know. I just mean there will be people flocking here to get tons of badges (cheating if necessary) because they know that would give them higher advantage for modship.

I think higher profiles and names with higher levels look nicer. We need well-groomed mods.

Flag Post

“I think higher profiles and names with higher levels look nicer. We need well-groomed mods.
"

Err…higher profiles?

Flag Post

what do you mean marh like better “about me” sections and better reviews of games?

Flag Post

The profile “modfriend” friends all the mods, so you can just check their friends page and instantly see all the online mods and where they are.

http://www.kongregate.com/accounts/Modfriend/friends

Flag Post

We’re well aware of the problem, and I assure you that it’s one of our top priorities. Understand, though, that the current system of “Greg appoints all the moderators amid his many other job responsibilities, then oversees them and deals with all the drama,” while made significantly easier with substantial help from Damijin and Matt, does not even come close to scaling to an environment with 15,000 people. The whole system needs a complete overhaul, and that’s exactly what we’re working on.

Flag Post

I can’t ever imagine levels having any effect on becoming a mod, there’s a lot of poorly behaved high-level users. And a lot of well-behaved low-level users.

Flag Post

Ty, Malachi. Good info. :D

Although, this proves my point….16 mods on for 110+ rooms? Taking away the afk mods that leaves maybe 10? :\

EDIT: Good info, greg, and has Kongregate ever considered a “Soon to Come” section? :o

Flag Post

yeah greg are you going to make a system like someone can’t post a message more than 4 or 5 times in a row because something the kongregate message doesn’t come up for some people saying can’t type that fast or something like that. and NO bad words. maybe you should make a room where you can say whatever you want but before you enter that room it gives you a warning saying that “there is explicit languange allowed in this room, are you sure you want to go in there?” or something like that.

Flag Post

I can’t ever imagine levels having any effect on becoming a mod, there’s a lot of poorly behaved high-level users. And a lot of well-behaved low-level users.

Give us a LITTLE credit. :-P

Some type of level system will likely be involved in deciding who gets limited, temporary moderator powers in each room. But this level system will be very separate from the current one, in that you gain reputation levels more from feedback from other users than from rating games and earning achievements. The details of this system have not been fully ironed out, but we are aware of its many complications, including the potential for gangs of trolls to “band together” in rating themselves up.

Flag Post

Give us a LITTLE credit. :-P

Some type of level system will likely be involved in deciding who gets limited, temporary moderator powers in each room. But this level system will be very separate from the current one

Yeah, I was talking about making “normal moderators” from the current system.

bq. The details of this system have not been fully ironed out, but we are aware of its many complications, including the potential for gangs of trolls to “band together” in rating themselves up.

I’m not that afraid of gangs as I think very few of them would actually stay together, it’s more individuals using different IPs(this is assuming that a one vote per IP plan is even used) to rate themselves up. They could either do it form different comps most people have access to many comps; a work one, a school one, most households have at least two. or just using sites like [not giving out a free IP website]. And what about IP changing, or hiding programs, will there be any protection against those?

Flag Post

@nerdrock I knew what you meant, but I was just giving you a hard time about the way you said it sorry if you felt akward :P.

That room increase was very saddening to me because I’ve been trying to model rooms since october and you guys just keep adding more!

It’s a mixed blessing.

EDIT: bq.The details of this system have not been fully ironed out, but we are aware of its many complications, including the potential for gangs of trolls to “band together” in rating themselves up.

AAHHHH yes the old who will police the police police police!!!