Forums Kongregate

Micropayment system

6 posts

Flag Post

I was reading the webware blog and read the Under The Radar summary, and I saw Kongregate, so I was definetly interested. Then there was a quip added at the very end about how…

The site is planning to roll out a micropayment system and a subscription model so users can purchase full versions of games, or subscribe to access premium titles.

So just a few questions..

1. When?
2. Any specific titles in mind?
3. How much? (does it depend on title, and how long for a subscription)

So I already know why Kong is deciding to do this, I’m not going to bash you for trying to earn money because well I know websites don’t just.. run themselves.

I’m assuming that the free accounts will stay the same. Or lose a few features.. maybe.

So will this come after beta? or.. is Kong planning it sooner

btw people, I doubt your Kong experience will change, (assuming) its just for people who want more out of their flash gaming experience.

So please don’t flame kongregate for attempting to make more money..
Remember its a capitalist nation, not.. hey lets go give things away =D

So just wondering.. anyone?

Flag Post

Here’s some more information from various sites:

Jim Greer: “We’re building a microtransactions wallet, similar to Microsoft Points – players can fund it with their credit card for $5 or $10, then draw down from that in $0.25 or $2.00 intervals. The idea is to let our best developers make bigger, deeper web games, and charge for the premium content in them. For example, The Fancy Pants Adventure has three levels. When he makes Fancy Pants 3, he could have three free levels and then another nine after that, and charge $0.25 each, or $2.00 for the whole thing. Players would be able to buy the levels without leaving the game, with one click. We’ll split that money with the developers 80% for them, 20% for us.”

Source: http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=13231

Jim Greer: “We will also have a second revenue stream in microtransactions—we’ll have some premium features on the site (private chat rooms, exclusive collectibles, etc).”

Source: http://blog.hanfordlemoore.com/2007/01/25/kongregate-a-potential-disruptive-indie-game-publisher (comments)

John Bardinelli: “And coming this summer: microtransactions! Developers are working with Kongregate to weave this into their titles to allow in-game purchases. One use for this system will be unlocking extended versions of games for just a few pennies per level. Most of the microtransaction earnings are paid to the game’s programmer, adding incentive for developers to hop on the unlockable-content bandwagon.”

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2007/03/23/kongregate-announces-achievements-and-microtransactions-for-onli/

Flag Post

Microtransactions are something that we’d like to see in place for some of the quasi-commercial games. You may have noticed that Flash developers range from 14 year olds in their bedroom up to small teams that produce really serious games over the course of months or years. Usually with the latter, they will put up their game as a demo on a lot of sites, and sell a full version on their own site with more levels and more content.

For an example of games that use that distribution method check out any of Badim’s games. We’d like to make it so that developers don’t need to operate their own website, but rather can sell their premium content in small chunks for low prices.

I don’t know when we’re going to start doing it, or what games will be the first to use it, but I can tell you for certain that you’re not just going to wake up one day and be unable to play games without forking over cash. This site will always feature free content first and foremost.

Flag Post

This is something I’m really looking forward to. :) Microtransactions in online communities are highly successful in Asia. It would be cool if Flash games were the first place for this business model to take off in the West.

Flag Post

The most important thing to note is that … microtransactions are controled by the developer. Not by Kongregate. So no need to bash them anyway. All they do is provide the service. Whether the developer chooses to sell his game or not, that’s his own personal choice.

Flag Post

The most important thing to note is that … microtransactions are controled by the developer. Not by Kongregate. So no need to bash them anyway. All they do is provide the service. Whether the developer chooses to sell his game or not, that’s his own personal choice.

Absolutely true. The games on the site that are free here and everywhere else will continue to be free. Oftentimes when Flash developers get good enough, they “graduate” to console games or $20 downloadables. We’re giving them an option of a middle ground — Flash games that can be unlocked for $5 that are on a whole new level of content and quality.