Forums Kongregate

Kongregate on the iPad

44 posts

Flag Post

I’m assuming, since the iPad does not support flash whatsoever, this will be virtually impossible to ever achieve, even with a Kongregate App, since the game will somehow have to run the games on a different platform. For the record, m.kongregate.com does not work with the iPad since, of course, the games will still run on Flash.

Will it ever be possible, or are there any plans for it?

Flag Post

Either once Apple starts supporting Flash or all games are rewritten to HTML5.

Flag Post

Since Kongregate doesn’t make the games, but devs do, I doubt either will ever happen; unless as mentioned Apple starts supporting Flash – which, according to Steve Jobs, is never. I believe Apple claims they have enough games to keep you happy and that there is no need for places like this. (So your question is essentially blasphemous!)

Even the Flash to iPhone converter got blocked, ‘cause they don’t even want anything that even touched Flash to come near an iPhone OS based device. Sorry.

I’m waiting for m.kongregate.com to work on my Droid though. Should be soon; though I doubt most games will perform that great.

Flag Post

Steve Jobs hates Adobe >:[

Flag Post
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Since Kongregate doesn’t make the games, but devs do, I doubt either will ever happen; unless as mentioned Apple starts supporting Flash – which, according to Steve Jobs, is never. I believe Apple claims they have enough games to keep you happy and that there is no need for places like this. (So your question is essentially blasphemous!)

Even the Flash to iPhone converter got blocked, ‘cause they don’t even want anything that even touched Flash to come near an iPhone OS based device. Sorry.

I’m waiting for m.kongregate.com to work on my Droid though. Should be soon; though I doubt most games will perform that great.

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Flash Lite makes most games playable on my Incredible. Flash 10.1 can only improve things.

Flag Post

Teamviewer let’s you access Kongregate chats and games (and your entire computer, for that matter.) But I wouldn’t see playing games on it all that easy.

Free though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrSpontaneous:
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised. Flash Lite makes most games playable on my Incredible. Flash 10.1 can only improve things.

Hopefully. I’ve developed in Flash Lite. I’ve beta tested for Adobe, as well as been directly consulted with for the mobile Flash platform (they consulted with me when developing device central) and Flash Lite bugs they didn’t even know about ‘till I found them; ones they didn’t care to fix. I even created a launch title for one of iRiver’s devices in Flash Lite, years ago.

Yes player 10.1 will be much better (and I’m pleased they are trying now), but this does not necessarily mean all games are going to perform great on a < 1ghz (500mhz?) phone anymore than they do on an <1ghz desktop (or the Wii). I’m not saying it’s going to be unusable, but I’m not predicting it will meet my personal expectations (yeah I’m picky). Adobe has a way of disappointing; and having been a dev since Flash 3 I’m conservative in my excitement, so I can hopefully be pleasantly surprised. :)

I’d rather be wrong and be pleasantly surprised than disappointed. Got too excited too many times over the years.

- Though hardware acceleration does help immensely and can make the difference; as Wii Flash tests also show.

Flag Post

Interesting point, that my question is blasphemous. I didn’t even think of that.

Now I must choose… Apple or Kongregate?

ponders

This decision is unthinkable. I will compensate by retreating into my badges.

Flag Post

Will it ever be possible, or are there any plans for it?

Give it 5 years or so and most of the new games will hopefully be written in HTML5/javascript. In the mean time, quite a few Flash games have iPhone ports in the appstore now (some with free versions).

Flag Post

If Adobe wins the Anti-trust then perhaps flash to the iPad will come much faster. Still, if you want an iPad badly, you should get the HP Slate, which I believe is coming out sometime soon. It will have flash capabilities according to some articles.

Flag Post

Why does apple hate adobe anyways, didn’t they have some agreement decades ago :x…

Flag Post

It’s also inevitable that Kongregate will start hosting more and more games that aren’t Flash, and there’s a chance that some of these will be playable on Apple products if they don’t require a plugin (Flash, Unity, etc). Konduit is evidence that they’re headed in this direction, although a bit slowly.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 1230567:

Why does apple hate adobe anyways, didn’t they have some agreement decades ago :x…

$$$

Flag Post

Some flash games get ported to iPhone. Warlords, for example: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warlords-call-to-arms/id363480718?mt=8 or on the iPad: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warlords-call-to-arms/id369521282?mt=8

I wish there was a site that listed flash ports

Flag Post
Originally posted by DJStatika:

Some flash games get ported to iPhone. Warlords, for example: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warlords-call-to-arms/id363480718?mt=8 or on the iPad: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/warlords-call-to-arms/id369521282?mt=8

I wish there was a site that listed flash ports

They were re-written from scratch not in Flash…

Flag Post

Yes, that’s what a port is.

Flag Post

Anyone know if they let the early CS5 compilations slide because they were in before the change in the User agreement? They wouldn’t be flash directly, but the port done with CS5 that came from it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BIGMANONCAMPS:

Yes, that’s what a port is.

Actually, by definition porting is NOT rewriting from scratch. In fact you generally only “port” when it is cheaper than rewriting from scratch.

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnknownGuardian:

Anyone know if they let the early CS5 compilations slide because they were in before the change in the User agreement? They wouldn’t be flash directly, but the port done with CS5 that came from it.

You mean the Flash to iPhone converter? If so, Adobe is letting it out but not supporting it and not developing it further. They’ve given the disclaimer that hinges upon Apple approval. Apple doesn’t care that it’s no longer Flash code. While they use many excuses for why, it really comes down to the fact that they want you to buy a mac and use Apple tools to develop iPhone apps and don’t want any half rate Flash anything touching their pristine platform. It’s like Adobe found a way in and they didn’t like it.

As a result, any app that’s been converted that is there either now or in the future is subject to removal; all depending on whether Apple hits you or now. Which, of course, is enough to scare most devs from putting the time in; which is what Apple wants.

Flag Post

Does this mean that Linux is the only non-corrupt OS serving company now?

Flag Post

No. because linux is no company.

Flag Post

Well, whoever made Linux anyway…

Flag Post

Yeah Apple supporting flash, not a chance, at least not yet. But honestly it would feel kind of odd to be on Kongregate on an iPad, but that’s just me, I don’t really see too much appeal in iPads anyway.

Flag Post

Hmm… I wonder how many games will get removed…

Flag Post

I luv the Ipad!!!