Forums Kongregate

Downvoting?

18 posts

Flag Post

Hi

I recently put my game here, http://kongregate.com/games/DreamworX/ballman-platform However, something feels wrong when a game that I’m pretty certain would get about a 4.00 score on Newgrounds(Pacman platform 2 did, check my comment on the game ;P) only has 3.30 here. Is this the kind of low scores that people give here on Kongregate or do you think that it’s for some reason being downvoted? I was hoping to get an at least top 3 placement in the weekly contest, and not that the other games in the top are bad, but I definitely think that my game should be up there?

Flag Post

You only have 47 ratings on it. Give it some time and I’m sure you will get a more ‘accurate’ score.

Flag Post

mm maybe, I still think that the score is very far off though.. The comments implies that it should have a pretty high score.

Flag Post

The link doesn’t work dude. And like Nick said , give the game some more time. People will end up rating it. This site isn’t as ‘populated’ as the ones you are talking about. So the process is slower.

Flag Post

Ok, another try then: http://kongregate.com/games/DreamworX/ballman-platform

Flag Post

Kongregate rating are usually lower than newgrounds ratings, my games score on average 0.8 higher on NG than they did on Kong. Which is odd when you consider that you can vote 0 on NG and you can’t here…

Flag Post

Lol dreamworx your here to heh anyway i know this is off topic but why doesnt kong offer to put your sig under a post

Flag Post

The link had a period at the end which you had to remove.

I’d also say that I think the kong community have a higher expectation, for want of a better word, than the NG community as I guess there is a higher percentage of developers here. There’s also a greater interaction between the developer and the community which means that if something isn’t right in the game the developer is immediatly informed.

Flag Post

Hi edit :) Yeah, it is a little bit different scale 1-5 instead of 0-5 so if anything the scores should be higher here. It seems like scores in general is a bit low (if you compare to NG), but if you compare my game to the game that’s currently leading the weekly contest I think it’s a little bit odd :P

EDIT:
Hi to you too Nqkoi1 :)

@Nick, You have a point there.. Once again I compare myself to the other games in the contest though :/

Flag Post

You’ll find your games will be voted a lot lower here on Kong. I have one theory.

Since Kong’s new, lots of good games are all being submitted at once, so your game is compared to the absolute best, and cause people are replaying the best games with badges. Where as NG has only about one or 2 good flashs a day since its older, and a lot more people regularly visiting.

Flag Post

Omg Eggy your a detective

Flag Post

@Eggy: I was about to say pretty much the same thing… on NG, a person has to wade through so much junk to find the gems, that those gems are naturally voted higher.

Here on Kongregate, we’ve got a smaller amount of games, and thankfully a much smaller pool of junk to wade through to find the innovative gems. Even some of the best of the best (Last stand, the Boxhead games, NG rumble) have trouble breaking the 4 mark.

Flag Post

Meh anyway i think that its best to wait before releasing your games for now

Flag Post

Monthly and weekly contests on Kong only compare games to other games released that week/month, so while there may be a slight negative in the overall bias and the push towards larger games with more content, you still stand a good shot to win the weekly contests and stuff as long as you upload something that is genuinely fun.

Flag Post

There are only 20 games that have passed the 4.0 barrier. So yeah, things tend to be tougher here compared to other gaming sites… But remember, if it’s tough to you, it’s tough to everyone.

Flag Post

Also, on a tangent, I really find it rediculous how some people upload like 10 of their old games at the same time. SPREAD THEM OUT SILLY PEOPLE!

If people see 10 of the same games at the same time from the same person, they’re going to get bored! Hence… DOWN VOTE.

Flag Post

It’s a different audience. There’s no way around the fact that games score better on Newgrounds in general, even with the option to vote 0. Fancy Pants is among the very few games that actually scores higher here than on Newgrounds. Sometimes the difference is huge — take Tri-achnid, for example.

I have a lot of theories. I think part of it’s the presentation. The front page of Newgrounds almost exclusively features new stuff. Look at how much stuff is on there! Then look at Kongregate. Sure, we have 3 “hot new games,” but our front page is basically filled with the top-rated games of all time. On Newgrounds, your game is being compared to what’s new. On Kongregate, it’s being compared to the best of all time. I think that if Newgrounds were to put its best games of all time on the front page (after all, almost every game here is there too), you’d probably see a drop in ratings due to people having higher standards.

Instead, though, since Newgrounds is so established and since it caters so heavily to a returning crowd, the emphasis is placed more on showing returning visitors what’s new. We want to do that too, obviously, but our emphasis is more on showing new visitors what’s the best. Then once you’re more familiar with the site, you can start exploring other games through the latest games list, people’s favorites, past contest winners, etc.

The fact that Newgrounds hosts movies probably plays a role too. I’ll bet a lot of the site’s users have messed around with Flash to some degree, making simple movies, so they probably have higher respect for games that seem like they must’ve been really difficult to make (again, gotta use the Tri-achnid example here).

So don’t take offense! It just means that a 3.3 here is more meaningful than a 3.3 on Newgrounds.

Flag Post

Yeah, I must say that I agree with most things that has been said here in this topic. I guess I shouldn’t be too unsatisfied with the score, but as I believe that I said before my main concern is my opponents in the weekly contest. I do think that I should be higher up, but the more I think about it the more I realize that my game may simply not be as fun to play as the others. I will quit my ranting and concentrate on make new and better games instead, and as I mentioned in one of my comments I might remove that game from Kong(I wont lose any points if I do, right?).