Forums Kongregate

Introducing Underdog Week!

500 posts

Flag Post

UPDATE: DUE TO TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES, THIS EVENT IS BEING PUSHED BACK TO NEXT WEEK, STARTING AUGUST 11th

ALSO, THE NAME HAS BEEN CHANGED TO BURIED TREASURE WEEK!

Hey guys,

I have something a little crazy planned for next week, and I wanted to hear what you guys thought. It was sort of an impulse decision.

As many of you know, most badges on the site are assigned to games mostly based on rating. Sometimes I’ll make exceptions for games that are totally awesome regardless of what you guys think, but for the most part, any game with a rating below 3.7 or so has a pretty slim chance of ever seeing much exposure on the site.

Well, that’s all going to change! …for one week, anyway, and maybe another week every other month if it goes well.

I’m going to personally select 5 games with our API that I think are totally awesome. They might not be the most popular, they might not have the best rating, or the best art, or maybe they’re kind of glitchy, or… well, the point here is that there’s just something about them that is really, really great. A lovable core that makes you want to show the game to your friends, to tell them it’s the greatest thing you’ve ever played in your life — perhaps sarcastically, but with a small grain of truth.

I already have some games in mind for this. It’s highly subjective, and I’m sure plenty will disagree with my choices. But I’m still open to suggestions. Even if I don’t use them this week, I might use them in October if this goes well and I decide to do it again.

Basically, Monday through Friday of next week, a new game will be featured for a single day in our feature roll (probably in the third slot, past the challenges). This game will have one or two badges (most likely just one), as well as a points challenge that lasts for a single day. That’s right, the return of points challenges! They probably won’t be for very much (I’m thinking 10-20 or so), but there will be a brand new one every single day, giving each underdog its 15 minutes of fame that this biased Kongregate staff member feels it deserves.

Anyway, so what do you guys think?

Flag Post

Yay, more badges! \o/

Flag Post

Awesome Idea

Flag Post

I think it’s an epic idea… although you are ready for the whining that must likely will occur right?

We all know how Kong users get when there is a badge they slightly don’t like :P

oh and could you possibly stay away from the games with glitches though, I’d rather have a game that is quirky and works than one that is beautifulish and glitches, although that is strictly my opinon

p.s. You would do this when I’m on vacation..

Flag Post

Yeah, why not? That will probably stop people from giving high ratings to game excessively.

Flag Post

It sounds like a fantastic idea to me Greg. I’ve always thought along the same lines, that there are some games that get passed over for whatever reason that really do have a great element about them, whatever that is.

Flag Post

I think it’s a perfect plan. I can’t wait to see the games you selected.

Flag Post

That sounds like a really good idea. I often like the underdog games better than the overhyped games.

Flag Post

yes! We need this. Iff I could request a game, it’d be DUI (i think it’s got api)

Flag Post

This sounds awesome!! Way to go, Greg!

Flag Post

Points = Good.

Especially maybe for games you like but your friends don’t know about, or are less popular but you still rated it a 5.
Just depends on what games and will they be new recent games that didn’t hit the charts or will it be old games that no one ever really saw?

Flag Post

anything with badges to occupy my time is fine with me :D

Flag Post

As long as they aren’t on MrcredsAlex’s games, it sounds like an awesome idea.

Flag Post

anychance of getting one on Monochrome or Battle Fish ?

Flag Post

Sounds great! I’d love to see this be something that comes up every so often, just to shake things up ;D

But… You picked the week I’ll be gone D:! Ah well, at least I’ll be able to get the badges afterwards.

Flag Post

Give us a Kongai card if we played all five games and meet certain conditions for playing those games. Cards are more useful than badges. I likely won’t touch them unless I know I can get a card out of them.

Flag Post

Cards are more useful than badges.

Only if you play kongai alot, personally I much prefer badges over cards.

Flag Post

just not more TD games please. ( I dont care if you do I just needed to say something >.<)

Flag Post

Battle Fish is being considered. I have a list of about 30 games, and I’m still narrowing it down… I’ll probably eliminate about 20 due to having a nonworking API, though. So then I’ll probably have to pick half.

Give us a card if we played all five games and meet certain conditions for playing those games.

No, cards inviting massive whining, and I want this week to just be fun and happiness, and purely optional for those who put their nose in the air at my selections. Plus, I want them to be a surprise!

will they be new recent games that didn’t hit the charts or will it be old games that no one ever really saw?

Probably a mixture, though mostly older games, back from the era when I actually played every single game that was uploaded onto the site… Obviously this is impossible now.

Flag Post

Only if you plat kongai alot, personally I much prefer badges over cards.

I stopped playing Kongai two weeks ago after I had won 80+ games and not gotten a single card (and when I had won three cards earlier, the cards were not what I really wanted.) I’m not playing Kongai again until I get all the cards I want from challenges, which can take a while. It’s almost impossible and too time-consuming to earn the cards I want just from winning.

Flag Post

Probably a mixture, though mostly older games, back from the era when I actually played every single game that was uploaded onto the site… Obviously this is impossible now.

*Impossible now.

Its just obvious.*

Flag Post

Nobody disagrees, I love the idea personally.

Flag Post

I think this is an absolutely brilliant idea. I would also love for this to be more for devs who haven’t had raving success with their games before. So like, while Light Cut is awesome, jmtb has oooooodles of badges so I’d rather play an unknown’s game and really give them a chance in the spotlight. But I love this and look forward to it :D

Flag Post

sounds like a good idea to me…

Flag Post

W00T awsome idea.