Forums Kongregate

The Colosseum [21st Kong Tournament] (Winner: MaistlinRajere)

1455 posts

Flag Post

Tournament concluded. MaistlinRajere is the winner.

Dear Players, welcome to the Colosseum, the 21st edition of the Kongregate Gaming Tournament, hosted by Danaroth.
If you aren’t familiar with it, this competition will feature a series of games on Kongregate, chosen by the host himself. In every round you will be asked to provide a specific proof of your ingame score; we’ll proceed through various elimination stages until a winner is declared.
Every tournament activity will take place in this single thread; we’ll hyperlink all the relevant informations in this post.

Good luck to every participant, give your best and have fun!

Flag Post

Final Rankings

Flag Post

General Rules

The “21st Kongregate Gaming Tournament” is a flash gaming forum competition; you will be asked to submit proof of your scores in a series of games decided by the host, Danaroth. Based on your ranking, there will be various stages of eliminations until a winner is proclaimed. Signing-up procedures are stated in the introductory game announcement post.

This competition will have 5 elimination stages in total. Every stage is divided in 3 rounds, each of whom will feature a different game.

In each round, you will be asked to submit a screenshot during a well specified allotted time.
This screenshot has to include:

• The requested ingame score, taken during the allotted time interval itself;
  • A matching score in today or weekly Kongregate highscore tab, headline included (please take 2 screenshots, one with the headline and another with your nickname, if it isn’t possible to see them together);
  • The green or yellow plug with your Kongregate nickname.
  • A fully visible gaming window, clean from any form of editing.

Each round will assign a decreasing number of points, based on your ranking. Those points will be tallied up at the end of the stage to determine who will advance to next one.

Eliminated players (we will nickname them extras) are allowed to post their scores freely in stage 2 and 3 and we will reserve a small number of slots to redeem them. Extras’ points will be calculated as if they were part of the main competition, but held in a separate ranking. To advance they must have a higher amount of points than the lowest advancing player from the main competition, who will then be eliminated.

You are not allowed to cheat in any way, nor to publicly accuse or personally attack anyone in this thread.

You are encouraged to private message the host or, preferrably, Munerarius if:

• You think any player is infringing any rule;
  • You found any exploitable glitch or you want to request a game change;
  • You want to suggest to use a particular game in the competition.

Prizepool is 275 Kreds plus 3 game packs to divide between the first placements.

Further details on the rules are available here

Flag Post

FAQs

What are the suggested options to take a video?
This is what I personally use:

Video Recorder:
Tool: Hypercam 2
Video Compressor: Automatic
Quality: 85%
Playback rate: 10 frames/second
Sound source: Experiment with your choices, since it depends on your audio card (Mine is “Stereo Mix (IDT HD)”)

Video Cruncher:
Tool: Windows Movie Maker
640×480
512 kbps (1024 or 2048 if you have a fast upload connection; filesize will be two or four times larger)
30 fps

Video Uploader:
Tool: Youtube
No changes in the format

Flag Post

Qualifier

This is the qualifier stage, the necessary step to sign up to this competition.
To pass this stage, you simply have to:
Kill at least 5 men in Story mode in the game Spike – A Love Story by Matzerath.

Since this is the very first task in this competition, I’ll briefly repeat the rules for a correct screenshot submission; it has to have:

• A fully visible and non-edited gaming window
  • The green or yellow plug with your Kongregate nickname
  • The ingame ending screen with a matching score in Kongregate Highscore API in Today’s or This Week’s tab, which has to include the headline (if not visible, please take 2 screenshots, one including the headline and the other including your nickname)
  • Any score taken before the round’s beginning isn’t allowed

The final screenshot should look something like that:

If you aren’t familiar on how to take a screenshot this is one of the fastest ways:

• If your score doesn’t show up in the Kongregate highscore, go to the second page of “all time” and then back to Today’s tab
  • Press “stamp” (or fn+stamp on most laptops)
  • Press ctrl+v in any image software (like Paint) and eventually crop the area OUTSIDE the game window
  • Save your image (preferrably in .png format)
  • Go to imgur and upload from our computer
  • Copy (ctrl+c) the direct link to this thread and put it between 2 exclamation marks, like that:
    !http://i.imgur.com/IAEnQ.png!

Just a big thank you to the developer for updating the kongregate API just to fulfill my request; I enjoyed this game a lot and I personally think it deserves this extra visibility. I chose it as introductive game because it’s immediate and cute to look at.

If by any chance you aren’t fond of the choice for the qualifier (either because of the bloody content, the limited controls or just because you don’t like it), I’ll also allow the following task in its place:
– Get at least a 60% overall score in Brain Waves by Rob_Almighty

And we haven’t ended yet:
You, the player have also the chance to decide the game for Round 1-1 during the qualifier time.
To greet the new players, I’ll go for a classic; you can decide between:

Just leave a private message to me or, preferrably, to Munerarius (the official message deliverer for the tournament) or drop a message in this thread with your choice. Any double choice from the same person will nullify your vote, but this choice isn’t mandatory. In case of a tie, I’ll decide myself. Every vote will be made public after the end of the qualifier for transparency.

Deadline: October, 20th

• 4:00am (EST / GMT-5)
  • 10:00am (CET / GMT+1)

Spreadsheet: here

Good Luck! Have fun!

Flag Post

Here’s my entry:

Flag Post

Awesome game choice! Looking forward to this! :D

EDIT: Meh.

Flag Post

I’m gonna sit this one out too. Don’t have time any more :(

Flag Post

Why yes, I do have better things I’m doing right now instead of crushing. Like trying to get the last challenge in BIT.TRIP COMPLETE.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sellyme:

I’m gonna sit this one out too. Don’t have time any more :(

I tried to balance this for people who have no time, as in there’ll be long deadlines (some rounds will overlap to allow this) and many chances to be redeemed.

Also if you participants are added by the account “Munerarius”, don’t worry. He’s my alt which will oversee the players during the tournament and will deliver official messages.

Flag Post

I think that’s all I need, right? :3

Flag Post
Originally posted by Jazzaboy:

I think that’s all I need, right? :3

Of course, you are set :)

Flag Post

Yay, been looking forward to this one.

Flag Post

Alrighty then, new tourney time.

Edit: No particular preference for next round, and just to be annoying I decided to do the alternate qualifier as well – http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww190/Zelja_bucket/Colosseum/BrainWaves91.png

Flag Post

Flag Post

This promises to be fun.

Couldn’t help myself, I had to do both.
I don’t have a preference for the next round either — all three of those games are great.

Flag Post

Flag Post
Originally posted by neslinesli93:

http://i.imgur.com/rxZyB.jpg

You need your ingame score to be shown as well; this is considered not valid for the time being. I’ll also send you a PM to warn you about the issue.

Flag Post

Well, it’s the first time i take part to a Kongregate tournament. Being a noob, i decided to take multiple screenshots, in order not to get in trouble.
This is the picture of the same highscore:

Flag Post

Finally!!!

Flag Post
Originally posted by neslinesli93:

Finally!!!

Thanks for the collaboration; hope you won’t have problems in next rounds :)

Flag Post

I vote for Dolphin Olympics 2.

Flag Post

Great game choice!
Score:

And for the next round, Dolphin Olympics 2, since all you need on Solipskier is a lot of time, and I suck at RA2.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BadgesFreak:

And for the next round, Dolphin Olympics 2, since all you need on Solipskier is a lot of time, and I suck at RA2.

Solipskier, if chosen, will be based on the combo stat, so you don’t need a lot of time to get a score :)

Flag Post