Forums Kongregate

Make Badge Level. [DON'T RAISE LEVEL CAP... yet] You can get to Level 65. !!AMAZING DISCOVERY!!~~~ page 2

53 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zhoom:

Raise the level cap, level 65 users are “feeling like they’re at the end-point although that’s not necessarily a bad thing because it offers a sense of achievement” (or bored).

you feel like you are at the end point because you are at the end point. you earned every badge. you have beaten kongregate.

Flag Post

Other Level 65s also feel that but do not have all badges. :P
But really, what’s the feeling of accomplishment when you’ve mass-rated or got a ton of referrals (you did nothing really) or hacked for a couple dozens of badges just to have every single one of them?

Flag Post

Its a bit out there but how about having two seperate levels? A “gamer” rating for badges, BOTD’s etc. and a “community” rating for contributing to the site for rating games, referrals etc.
Splitting those points off from each other would also have the side effect of raising the cap

Flag Post

I don’t know about you guys, but if someone is so determined to get to lvl 65 doing all that ratings and whatnot, i think they deserve it

Flag Post

BOTD’s etc.

nope

Flag Post

Raise the level cap, level 65 users are bored.

As somebody who’s a couple months away from the level cap and who gets most of his points through badges/badge of the day/challenges, I couldn’t care less about increasing the level cap. New games keep appearing, and that’s what I’m here for, not the level cap.

Now I’d be thrilled if they increased the size of the leader board to 1000 people and let me see how I rank among other level 60 users. Alternatively, give Badge Master more room in the data base and give it a high score list of length 1000 rather than 100.

Flag Post

It’s not like everyone uses Badge Master ._.

Flag Post
Now I’d be thrilled if they increased the size of the leader board to 1000 people and let me see how I rank among other level 60 users.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I’ve been wanting to see the top 25 all-time expanded to a much larger number for years now. When the system was first put into place, there was a lot more variance in the top 25 in terms of levels, but now everyone there is far above the requirement for the level cap, which looks a little dull to me. The only issue that I see is the lag with points updating, because currently it ranks everyone by a point total which is somewhere between a few hundred to a few thousand lower than the actual point total, I don’t know if it would get worse with more people (I wouldn’t think so, since it has to be ranking everyone as it is anyways, how else would it know the top 25), but it still wouldn’t be a “true” ranking with this.

EDIT @below: Idea? I don’t think that I said anything different than what I was quoting, I just elaborated on some possible issues with it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:
Now I’d be thrilled if they increased the size of the leader board to 1000 people and let me see how I rank among other level 60 users.

I wholeheartedly agree with this, I’ve been wanting to see the top 25 all-time expanded to a much larger number for years now. When the system was first put into place, there was a lot more variance in the top 25 in terms of levels, but now everyone there is far above the requirement for the level cap, which looks a little dull to me. The only issue that I see is the lag with points updating, because currently it ranks everyone by a point total which is somewhere between a few hundred to a few thousand lower than the actual point total, I don’t know if it would get worse with more people (I wouldn’t think so, since it has to be ranking everyone as it is anyways, how else would it know the top 25), but it still wouldn’t be a “true” ranking with this.

Wow. Great idea. :D

Flag Post

I don’t really care what they do as long as it gives me something to earn the badges for…

Flag Post

I don’t really care what they do as long as it gives me something to earn the badges for…

loll

Flag Post

+leet

Flag Post

Is it even possible to be able to play and honestly rate 50 games a day, without just spamming ratings one way or the other?

Flag Post
Originally posted by UltimateChaos:

Is it even possible to be able to play and honestly rate 50 games a day, without just spamming ratings one way or the other?

Depending on your definition of playing a game, probably not. If it takes maybe 5 minutes minimum to be able to say you’ve “played” the game, then you’re already up to over 4 hours for 50 games. However, the 50 game cap was established over four years ago after a 30 game cap had been tried and was found to not be the right amount (there are a couple threads about it from the time period). Besides, the limit was put into place to prevent auto-raters and people running rating scripts, not necessarily people who do it by hand (I still recall seeing people show up on the daily leader boards with over 10,000 points in one day).

However, people who are truly dedicated and want to get impressions on every game can do so, just it’s not as common (heck, the main complaint in the threads years ago were that people wanted to be able to rate more than 50 games a day regardless of the points, so there are still people who want to rate a lot no matter).

Flag Post

Yes.

Edit: darn fancy ninjas

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

Depending on your definition of playing a game, probably not. If it takes maybe 5 minutes minimum to be able to say you’ve “played” the game, then you’re already up to over 4 hours for 50 games. However, the 50 game cap was established over four years ago after a 30 game cap had been tried and was found to not be the right amount (there are a couple threads about it from the time period). Besides, the limit was put into place to prevent auto-raters and people running rating scripts, not necessarily people who do it by hand (I still recall seeing people show up on the daily leader boards with over 10,000 points in one day).

However, people who are truly dedicated and want to get impressions on every game can do so, just it’s not as common (heck, the main complaint in the threads years ago were that people wanted to be able to rate more than 50 games a day regardless of the points, so there are still people who want to rate a lot no matter).

Yeah, I was thinking somewhere along those lines. And I definitely think people should be allowed to rate as many games as they want to… but I don’t see why the limit for points gained from rating couldn’t be as low as…. let’s say 10 points for 10 games a day, or maybe based off of your level.

But either way, I see why it was chosen if it was to prevent the 10k ratings per day. I think if the cap is lower people would rate more games and give their honest ratings, I’m not sure how many ratings out of even 50 a day would be actual honest ratings as opposed to just ratings spam.

Flag Post

I’m still waiting for the option not to get points for rating,because I don’t want those points. I occasionally go on a rating spree then ask an admin to remove the points from it, but then it stops ratings after you’ve done 50. You’re not allowed to rate at all if you don’t get a point for it.

Flag Post

I don’t think that there are nearly as many “spam” ratings as legitimate ones (especially on popular games), and even so, you cannot accurately measure how much they distort the average rating of a game. For example, if a game is rated a 3.00, it is possible that people will rate the game 3, thus not affecting the current average, or two people might come along and rate 1 and 5 respectively, also not changing the current rating, so really it’s just a matter of if you believe that there are more people out there distorting the rating vs. more people “balancing” it by rating opposite of others vs. people rating it fairly vs. people rating it low based on not liking the developer vs. people rating highly based on liking the developer. There are too many factors to take into account, and overall it seems that good games get good ratings, bad games get bad ratings, and life goes on.

The rating limit as it stands allows people to be able to rate roughly the amount of games that are released daily, so I think that it’s at a good amount.

And Bilious, I agree that that would be an interesting idea, that was also proposed over four years ago when the limit was put into place, but it would probably not benefit enough people to make it worth while to use developer time for it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bilious:

I’m still waiting for the option not to get points for rating,because I don’t want those points. I occasionally go on a rating spree then ask an admin to remove the points from it, but then it stops ratings after you’ve done 50. You’re not allowed to rate at all if you don’t get a point for it.

Yeah, I say that if people just feel like playing and rating games they should do so to their heart’s content, even if no points are given for it. Maybe we’ll see that change in the future. The only issue I can see is that maybe some people would feel like they’re missing out on the points they could have gotten if they had spread out their ratings between multiple days.

Flag Post

I don’t understand why the daily rating cap is so absurdly high. I don’t have any data, but I’m pretty sure the average Kong user don’t play more than ten new games a day. It’s pretty obvious that they’re just vote spamming if they’re playing more than that. And if one is truly playing more than ten games a day, they really shouldn’t care that the rating cap’s 10 since the purpose of this site isn’t to rate for points, but to actually play the game itself.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

I don’t understand why the daily rating cap is so absurdly high. I don’t have any data, but I’m pretty sure the average Kong user don’t play more than ten new games a day. It’s pretty obvious that they’re just vote spamming if they’re playing more than that. And if one is truly playing more than ten games a day, they really shouldn’t care that the rating cap’s 10 since the purpose of this site isn’t to rate for points, but to actually play the game itself.

QFT.

Flag Post

It’s as I always said: The admins are not fond of good ideas everybody wants.
Perhaps the MOST suggested features are a raise in the Level cap, bigger leaderboards, and Badge Levels. THE. MOST. WANTED. FEATURES. OF. ALL. TIME.

Flag Post

I don’t think it’s that. I think it’s a matter of the difficulty of implementing them and priorities.

Would you rather have bigger leaderboards or a (hypothetical) bug patched that would prevent your account from being hijacked? :)

Flag Post

“Would you rather have cinematic mode or a (hypothetical) bug patched that would prevent your account from being hijacked? :)”
Your same argument can be used for EVERY SINGLE feature that is added to the website that are not fixes to HYPOTHETICAL bugs. The better question is: Would most users rather have a shitty, glitchy cinematic mode, or an awesome leaderboard and levels that can’t be exploited by mass-ratings, since what most people care about is levels and badges? (I can say this from 5 years and 4 months of chat experience)

Flag Post

I don’t care how much experience you have.

I see nothing wrong with beta testing, by the way. Also, it’s not the same thing and can’t be applied to all features. I’d rather Kongregate work on the back end, either performance or improving moderation (to make the site as a whole faster/safer/generally better) then to implement a leaderboard (or level cap, really) that only a small fraction of the userbase will care about/know it exists.