Forums Kongregate

Kongregate is full of Game-Hating Whiners.

129 posts

Flag Post

Is it just me or does everyone here hate games?
Maybe it’s the ability to vote, the power has gone to their heads.
So many people just seem to vote 1/5 because, well, they are morons and incapable of forming an objective review, much less a complete coherent sentence. And they are proud of it.

I suggest Jim or Emily do something about the hateful situation.
Managing a community is hard. Letting the monkeys take over the zoo is not the right approach.

At the very least, empower game creators more than you empower players.

Good Luck.

Flag Post

i don’t really think kongregate has anymore game hating whiners then anyother site. it’s just that on other sites u can’t really express ur opinion. i don’t think there’s anything wrong with us.

Flag Post

If this is so, it must be a silent majority. Most people who chat seem to have less biased opinions.

Flag Post

it seems that you are a game hating whiner

Flag Post

i agree that there are some people who are well… stupid and don’t take time to vote but saying that everyone on this website does is absolutly not true i bet that atleast 85% of people take time to vote while the other 15% don’t have a life so they just feel like runeing others fun.

Flag Post

I hate to disagree, but for the sake of opinion, I think people are entitled to it. Besides, every game faces the same scrutiny… it’s not like people are targetting titles to blast out of the water.

Flag Post

Well, I think we can encourage people to right constructive reviews: “this game sux 1/5” is a pretty pointless comment. I’d also like to have people rate comments up and down. But I think there are limits to what we can do to make people appreciate how much work it is to do even the simplest game.

Flag Post

I disagree. There are a number of very effective way of making people realize how much work goes into games.

For instance: Lock a person in a cell, give them internet access, flash, and a computer. Then tell them that until they get a game done that gets atleast 2.5 stars on kongregate, they don’t get any food.

Though I wouldn’t recomend that kong do that. Firstly, it might make a few users leave. Secondly, its a lot of fuss. And last but not least. I’m guessing it’s illegal in the U.S. (I’m not sure, though).

Flag Post

I have to agree with jmtb02 on this one.

Flag Post

yrudoy — we could try your method in Guantanamo if the CIA would only give us access…

Flag Post

Did you send them an email yet? LOL.

Flag Post

THough I wouldn’t recomend that kong do that. Firstly, it might make a few users leave.

Something is wrong with your prison cell if people can choose to leave.

Flag Post

@Greg If people can leave, than the jail is probably Canadian.

Flag Post

greg i know a way u can fix the problem. make a system so that every time someone votes, they have to leave a comment. I know there are definitely alot of people who purposely downvote your game, and when one person does it, then every1 does it because the people leave comments saying “this game sux, 1/5”, then every1 starts doing it on the game. I know there are some 5 star games on this site who get downvoted because of “haters” and it just sickens me. But i have to say not evry1 is a total jackass on kongregate lol, alot of people actually spend time finding whats wrong with ur game, and telling u why u got ur rating which is a much more intutive way to vote and help the designer make their game better.

Flag Post

make a system so that every time someone votes, they have to leave a comment.

Oh god, isn’t there enough spam as it is?

Flag Post

“Something is wrong with your prison cell if people can choose to leave.”

I didn’t mean the cell, I meant kong after they got out.

Flag Post

it seems that you are a game hating whiner

yes, sprint45_45. i hate games so much, i make them. ??

chats are moderated hence why the majority are well behaved there, in fear of being banned.
i did not mean the statement to apply to everyone on the site, but that the site is indeed, full of them. :)

and jmtb02, you’re saying it’s ok for people to hate playing all games than hating a particular individual game? one would hope a community for games might be better focusing around liking games rather than hating them, not talking about any game in particular. if you read the comments on every game released here, it’s nothing but hate. if a particular games gets popular, the mob mentality to agree that it’s the greatest game ever is all that changes.

voting doesn’t work. it’s very easy to arrange ratings so that there is no room for negativity. that doesn’t fix comments but letting the owner of the game admin all comments on their game will eliminate negativity. i think it’s resonable to let the uploader of the game to admin the comments associated with the game. even if the developer abuses this power, it’s still better than what you have now.

Flag Post

notshi i think that any site such as kongregate will have people like that and there is no way of getting out of it…but if I were you id be happy enough that there are ALOT of descent people on this site that do rate games and comment them according to their true oppinion unlike many other sites where noone does.

Flag Post

Notshi, I think your problem is you think your games should be rated higher, and after having played your games I think most of your games have been rated pretty fairly. I know games take a ton of time to make, but what you have to remember is us gamers are going to compare your games to other flash games, hopefully ones on kong. I don’t know if this is really your true reason. Now that I’ve said all that I did not read the comments posted for your games, and when I post comments I try to make them worth something. I’m also all for letting mods delete spam comment.

Flag Post

hello there chitown15,

i really don’t care for the ratings because i have a very low opinion of the users here. i upload my games here for exposure. as you know, there are other sites apart from kongregate. and kongregate delivers very little traffic. i’m talking about the community here. when people come on to this site, i’m assuming they are pointed to a game by friends or a digg or whatever. scrolling down on any content on this site will reveal the tone of the users of the site. this is the first thing people see. and what i see isn’t pretty, which is sad really.

in fact, most times i find myself defending other game developers from these whiners. so no, this is not a personal vendetta. tis merely an observation and/or possible question. gamers here just don’t seem to know how to conduct themselves nicely. i see a new game uploaded and the first few comments that i see will be: “this game sux 1/5”. i just can’t believe noone else sees this?!

Flag Post

i really don’t care for the ratings because i have a very low opinion of the users here. i upload my games here for exposure. as you know, there are other sites apart from kongregate. and kongregate delivers very little traffic. i’m talking about the community here. when people come on to this site, i’m assuming they are pointed to a game by friends or a digg or whatever. scrolling down on any content on this site will reveal the tone of the users of the site. this is the first thing people see. and what i see isn’t pretty, which is sad really.

Notshi, I find Kongregates community to be one of the nicest and well informed communities out there, are there some stupid users on here yes, but there are far many more really good people here. Maybe if you take the time to truely get to know the community you would see that, I’m not saying go out and chat for two minutes, just give us users a chance.

i see a new game uploaded and the first few comments that i see will be: “this game sux 1/5”. i just can’t believe noone else sees this?!

We see it and we dislike it, but your going to find trolls like that anywhere. And sometime a game really is bad, then I and most other users try to leave developers good constructive comments on how to make there next game better. And if you look at games where developers say its bad but this is there first game ,or school project alot a the comments will be positive. What I’m trying to say is don’t give up on us yet, and sorry if I come off being rude, I have nothing agianst you just the users that post these comments.

Flag Post

i’m not saying that there aren’t any good people here. what i was trying to convey originally, is that you have to control the community otherwise it gets out of hand. which would be a shame for nice gamers such as yourselves and few others.

my personal experience is that kongregate is a source of problematic users. not all of them, but it does seem to be where the main problem is coming from.

Flag Post

The Kongregate Staff Team are going to input a digg-like system to say if it’s good or nope. Maybe an abusive (Spam, useless, and offensive) button like Newgrounds?

this game sux 1/5

We’ve seen it and hate it. It’s not constructive at all as it’s not supported with details. Think of it like an essay, you have to support your findings with details.

Flag Post

Anyone noticeing that kongregate is becoming Newgrounds more and more every day

Flag Post

judemaverick, i don’t have to. you’ve already said you’ve seen it and hate it. emily has even mentioned it before i did. (read above)

in any case, the digg-like system will not improve the situation. and you already have a spam button.