Forums Kongregate

Forum update: Muting, quoting & reporting [greasemonkey script]

204 posts

Flag Post

We all know the forums lack quite a few options, so in the meantime I’ve created a Greasemonkey script to hold myself and others over. This script will primarily add muting, quoting & reporting to each post in the forums. This is something I’ve been wanting to do for awhile, but it took a kick in the pants from Jabor to get me going.

You must have Greasemonkey (or browser equivalent) installed to use this script. Once you have it installed and running, open the script location below and you will be prompted to run the script.

Update:
  0.9.7 [Updated on 09-14-09]
  Click here to install the script

Releases:
  0.9.5 [Updated on 11-05-08]
  Click here to install the script

This is the first release and I’ve only tested in a little in FireFox, so their may be some issues or improvements that need to be dealt with.

Features:

Muting

Our chat has had mute for a long time, but unfortunately the forums still do not. This script adds a “mute” link under each person’s user name that will allow you to ignore their posts in the future.

You just click “mute” and all their posts will be minimized from then on. You can view individual posts by clicking “view post” where their post text would be.

To unmute, view their post and click “unmute” under their name.

Quoting

Another thing our forums lack is a reply button that allows you to easily quote posts. Up until now, you had to copy > paste > type bq. or blockquote to reply to someone, which can become a hassle. This script adds a “quote post” link under every post that will automatically open the reply form and fill out the quoted post for you.

Note: The forum formatting is a little weird sometimes, so some quotes will look a little different. This will hopefully be improved later.

Reporting

First we had the report thread where you could post reports, then I made a report form so that reports were more organized and private; but we still lacked a report option in the actual threads. This script will add a “report” link under each post.

Clicking it will pop up the same report form current used, except this time it will fill out the offender’s name and post link for you.

Forum Moderators

The script will also remember forum moderators when it sees them and display an icon and tag under their name in the forums.

Known Issues

-After replying to a topic, the mute/unmute feature may display the wrong post.
-Formatting in quotes may be spaced out more than they originally were.
-Quote post link shows up even when not logged in and reply is not available.
- yes you can mute yourself and yes you can report yourself. These are not bugs, it has been left that way.

Please feel free to leave any constructive feedback if there are things you would like to see added or modified; or if you experience unknown issues. I’m willing to listen to suggestions about wording and formatting, if you have better ideas.

Flag Post

oh snap usability.

Flag Post

Ooh, nice. The “Quote post” and “Report” buttons does create a space between posts, but I can live with that. Excellent work, AC. These extra buttons can come in handy.

Flag Post

Fortunately, only a little space. I made use of the existing rows between and threw the links in there. If it’s creating a lot more, let me know. I use FireFox 3 myself and it’s not too bad.

Flag Post

Hmm. I use safari and do not see any of these new features.

Flag Post

Looks great, just download and installed it, but when I went to open it I got the following message:

:/

Flag Post

Thanks guys, I expected some issues since I designed it primarily for FireFox (Alpha release) :)

If you could let me know what browser, OS and script utility you are running, it will help me get it working across other browsers.

Flag Post
Originally Posted By arcaneCoder:

Fortunately, only a little space. I made use of the existing rows between and threw the links in there. If it’s creating a lot more, let me know. I use FireFox 3 myself and it’s not too bad.

Testing the functionality. :) I’m getting a space of 29 pixels between posts (not counting gray edges) vs. a space of 16 pixels without the script. It doesn’t increase the space significantly imo. I use Firefox 3 and it works fine.

Flag Post

Sticky! These will be nice!

Flag Post

It’s good to see that my “kick in the pants” got something good going ;)

Flag Post

Arcane, you’re a god among programmers. This is sweet! Very nice!

Flag Post

Another great idea aC, very useful to the forums as alway. Thanks.

Flag Post

Nice work aC this is awesome.
Except I have no idea how to install it.
Help?

Flag Post

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted By Ka_0z:

Nice work aC this is awesome.
Except I have no idea how to install it.
Help?

Install greasemonkey in FireFox (link at top). Turn on greasemonkey by making sure the monkey face icon is smiling in the lower right of your browser window. Click to toggle it otherwise. Then click on the script location in the first post and a pop up will ask you to install the script.

Flag Post

Now, a couple of suggestions:

1. I personally think that italicising the citation line (or even using <cite> tags for it) looks a lot better and helps differentiate it from the quoted post.
2. Any chance of adding a “Kongregate Staff” icon similar to the Forum Moderator one?

Flag Post

1) Yeah I was thinking about that too. I’ll try a couple of different things.

2) Probably not. The staff is not listed separately anywhere on the forums, whereas forum mod listings are. I don’t really want to load anything external either, so I can keep the overhead low.

Flag Post

I really love this script!
But whenever I try to report a user, the report form is a bit displaced, so I can’t cancel/send the report.

I’m using FF 2.0.0.14 with Greasemonkey and WinVista.

And maybe the ‘Mute user’ should be removed from your own posts, ’cause it can generate some weird bugs (i.e. when you mute yourself while editing your post)

Flag Post

Really nice :D

Oh aC can you send me a link of the top kong part? Because I’m doing a little project but right now theirs only the Halloween one!

Flag Post

soo nicccccccceeeeee keep up good work

Flag Post

You are fantastic!

ps Ducky and I left you a thank you present in the logs ;)

Flag Post

So when we type we have to type it on their? i am sorry but this is kind of confusing. I installed everything, but im not quite sure how to use it.

EDIT: I just realized how never mind. great job sticky?

Flag Post
Originally Posted By matt:

oh snap usability.

Arcane, you never cease to amaze me!~

Flag Post
Originally Posted By hokage4354:
Originally Posted By matt:

oh snap usability.

Arcane, you never cease to amaze me!~

Quotes work :P

You rock aC!

Flag Post

This looks great (and I even got to be an example). Thanks aC!

Flag Post

Found a problem, I didn’t really read any of this thread to see if this has been mentioned. On every single forum page except for the main forum page, the ads show for about 1/5 of a second then just disappear. WE NEEDS MOAR MONEH!!!