Forums Kongregate

MMOs Are Ruining Kongregate... page 6

494 posts

Flag Post

No I’m not “doing it wrong.” The problem is that the Kong website design makes it difficult to determine if a game is multiplayer until after you click on it. I used to just click on the top rated games or weekly top ranked to check out new games. I would sometimes select the genre when I was in the mood for a particular type of game. All of those option mix mulitplayer games in with single player with no clear way to tell which is which. Sure on the front page you can see the tags that usually tell you if a game is multiplayer but those tags disappear as soon as you leave the front page. Instead I’m forced to read the little descriptions in the hope that it makes it clear whether this is a multiplayer game. Usually that fails because a multiplayer RPG or strategy game will say the same generic thing (“raise an army and fight evil” or “Defend your castle”) that one often finds in single player games from those genres. I sometime open another tab with the multiplayer/MMO genre so I can check to see if a new game is there before I waste time loading it in the other tab. There should be a setting that allow me to hide games by tag or genre. It would also help people to better find the type of game they want. Of course since that would help people to avoid the cash hungy multiplayer games and thus cost Kong I doubt any change will happen.

Flag Post

Yes, all these new “top games” seem to be MMO’s which is really annoying. If I wanted to play an MMO i’d go to an MMO site, not a flash game site….

Flag Post
Originally posted by fredzed:

No I’m not “doing it wrong.” The problem is that the Kong website design makes it difficult to determine if a game is multiplayer until after you click on it. I used to just click on the top rated games or weekly top ranked to check out new games. I would sometimes select the genre when I was in the mood for a particular type of game. All of those option mix mulitplayer games in with single player with no clear way to tell which is which. Sure on the front page you can see the tags that usually tell you if a game is multiplayer but those tags disappear as soon as you leave the front page. Instead I’m forced to read the little descriptions in the hope that it makes it clear whether this is a multiplayer game. Usually that fails because a multiplayer RPG or strategy game will say the same generic thing (“raise an army and fight evil” or “Defend your castle”) that one often finds in single player games from those genres. I sometime open another tab with the multiplayer/MMO genre so I can check to see if a new game is there before I waste time loading it in the other tab. There should be a setting that allow me to hide games by tag or genre. It would also help people to better find the type of game they want. Of course since that would help people to avoid the cash hungy multiplayer games and thus cost Kong I doubt any change will happen.

then rate the game a 1 and never click it on again.

you can look through your earned or unearned badges list to find games. that is how ive found most of the games ive played. when you have played all the ones you care about you could just search elsewhere for unbadged games.

sure i got no problem with a tag filter, but its certainly nothing to go nuts about. takes a few seconds to backspace out of a game you dont like.

Flag Post

One or two in a year… no problem. But… something like 3 MMOs in a single week is… too much.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Noly:

One or two in a year… no problem. But… something like 3 MMOs in a single week is… too much.

so only 1 or 2 single player games should be released per year too right?

im sure that will go over well :D

Flag Post

i will say this, games like the most recent badged game dawn of the dragons are the type of game we REALLY need less of. this game has nothing to it and im only going to play it for the badge since its so simple it wont take much time. you can literally use all your energy in 2-3 seconds every couple hours.

i am just baffled at how people would actually put money into a game like that one. there are plenty of mmo’s that gives you more flexibility.

Flag Post

There are a lot of comments here along the lines of “I agree energy systems suck in most games, but not in these ones that I happen to like”. This isn’t something you’ll hear said about any other standard game mechanic. Nobody has ever said “Jumping in most games sucks, but it’s okay in Sonic”. It suggests the mechanic is flawed, and you’re simply making an allowance for it in the games that you happen to play.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

There are a lot of comments here along the lines of “I agree energy systems suck in most games, but not in these ones that I happen to like”. This isn’t something you’ll hear said about any other standard game mechanic. Nobody has ever said “Jumping in most games sucks, but it’s okay in Sonic”. It suggests the mechanic is flawed, and you’re simply making an allowance for it in the games that you happen to play.

come up with a better alternative then that still allows for the devs to make money. im not a fan of the system either, but i accept that some sort of restriction is necessary.

running mmo’s is more expensive than a single player game, they need to make back that money somehow.

Flag Post

Real MMOs (Runescape etc) manage okay without limiting how much you can play. I would suggest that their model works pretty well, unless you happen to have made a game that’s low on content and high on greed.

The real reason for the energy system is to force you to play in short bursts at a time, which is an addiction tricks used in many places outside game design as well. With gaming, it has the extra benefit of more ad revenue (from repeated reloads of the game), and more MTX revenue for the impatient players who just can’t wait til the energy bar refills.

Flag Post

Real MMOs (Runescape etc) manage okay without limiting how much you can play. I would suggest that their model works pretty well, unless you happen to have made a game that’s low on content and high on greed.

The real reason for the energy system is to force you to play in short bursts at a time, which is an addiction tricks used in many places outside game design as well. With gaming, it has the extra benefit of more ad revenue (from repeated reloads of the game), and more MTX revenue for the impatient players who just can’t wait til the energy bar refills.

if you are going to release a game as large as runescape, why would you restrict yourself to browser based?

Flag Post

Restrict??? Runescape is the most popular free MMORPG in the world, and part of that is because browser based gaming is the least restrictive market there is.

Flag Post

I don’t really complain much on how money grabbing MMOs are (they still got servers to run and all), but games like the recently badged Dawn of the Dragons is getting on my nerves. I have a much longer time waiting for the loading screen than actually playing it… this isn’t the way to go for any game whatsoever.

Flag Post

So will anyone employed by Kong bother to show up here and try to defend the way they mix MMO games in with single player games despite numerous people asking for easy way to see which is which? How hard would it be to put a little “M” in the corner of the game’s icon to show that it is a MMO/multiplayer game? It is a joke that I have to either waste my time loading games that I have no interest in, hope that the tiny text description mentions up front that it is multiplayer, or open multiple tabs so I can check whether the game shows up as a multiplayer game prior to clicking on it. Total joke.

Flag Post

So will anyone employed by Kong bother to show up here and try to defend the way they mix MMO games in with single player games despite numerous people asking for easy way to see which is which? How hard would it be to put a little “M” in the corner of the game’s icon to show that it is a MMO/multiplayer game? It is a joke that I have to either waste my time loading games that I have no interest in, hope that the tiny text description mentions up front that it is multiplayer, or open multiple tabs so I can check whether the game shows up as a multiplayer game prior to clicking on it. Total joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkhX5W7JoWI

Flag Post

come up with a better alternative then that still allows for the devs to make money.

I really doubt the energy system is the moneymaker in most of these games. It costs quite something to fill your bar, but seeing some of the packs you can buy it is really little in comparison. I’ll be interested to see results in that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

come up with a better alternative then that still allows for the devs to make money.

I really doubt the energy system is the moneymaker in most of these games. It costs quite something to fill your bar, but seeing some of the packs you can buy it is really little in comparison. I’ll be interested to see results in that.

for the most part yes, people dont buy energy nearly as much as other things. buying energy just saves you time which not many want. most people who spend money want some perk that is generally only gotten through spending.

the energy systems main purpose is extending the life of the game and, which has been said multiple times, ad revenue.

Flag Post

I’ll agree that Most of the MMOs are fricking kong but some of them are cool… I find most japanese MMOs (or seemingly japanese. Sorry if i am offending someone) are the worst…

Flag Post

the energy systems main purpose is extending the life of the game and, which has been said multiple times, ad revenue.

Well, for one, as long as everyone agrees the only party benefiting from this is the developer, and it is 100% a strain on players, we’re one step further.

Beyond that, I’m still not sure if energy income and advertisement revenue are nearly as high as the other stuff. What I’m saying with this is, why implement a feature that restricts your players and doesn’t necessarily add significant income? Extending the life of the game is a “fair” point (from a developer’s point of view, completely not from the player’s side), but again, it’s a strain on the player. The problem many of us here have with some MMOs is that it is a completely different system, mostly straining on the free players. I would also like to point out many MMOs are not like this. Some have an energy system that really is irrelevant (only those who play all day would empty it) or you could add points to energy, meaning you can play all day if you wanted to. Those are the “good” MMOs, or so to say.

Subjective solution? Don’t allow too much restrictions. As I’ve discussed with a user in chat, a player may like a game as he pleases, but I could never understand someone liking the energy system if it really restricts you that heavily and grants no ability to be increased. Since we don’t allow any flash stuff being uploaded here, there are some rules, and my subjective rule would be to remove the moneygrabbers. Unfortunately, they probably also bring in the highest amount of kreds.

I’ll suggest to Pseudo to make a Mardek MMO.

I find most japanese MMOs

I thought they were Chinese.

Flag Post
Originally posted by sirusblt:

I’ll agree that Most of the MMOs are fricking kong but some of them are cool… I find most japanese MMOs (or seemingly japanese. Sorry if i am offending someone) are the worst…

Yes, you did offend someone. You offended me.

Flag Post

those shitty asian mmo are mainly chinese or korean.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ILoveFishsticks0:

clue was in the word “Asian” xD

Flag Post

It is a joke that I have to either waste my time loading games that I have no interest in, hope that the tiny text description mentions up front that it is multiplayer, or open multiple tabs so I can check whether the game shows up as a multiplayer game prior to clicking on it. Total joke.

There are tags, just in case someone forgot. So if you are in the homepage checking hot new games, if it says multiplayer, dont click it. Problem solved.

Flag Post

New Tag: Money-Whoring.

Do it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by ILoveFishsticks0:

clue was in the word “Asian” xD

scroll up a few posts and you will see someone thought they were japanese. so fail on you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

100% correct. energy refill inst suposed to be the most moneymaker . See this topic is very strange while i am one of the developer yet i am kongregate player also .