Forums Kongregate

L4D not in Australia. Why not?

15 posts

Flag Post

Why is the Left 4 Dead competition void for Australians? I feel discriminated against.

You have to be in it to win it..

Flag Post

Obviously due to Australia’s laws when it comes to these kind of contests.

Flag Post

if an aussie wins (like me) i would just sell my entire share to somebody. tough luck for me

Flag Post

I was wondering about this earlier. After a bit of snooping the most likely theory was that Kongregate would have to buy the gaming licenses which are compulsory in each state here, and would not be a viable option. An official word on this would be great, though.

Flag Post

Australia doesn’t allow sweeptakes, or whatever it’s called. It’s not Kongregates fault.

Flag Post

Technically, this isn’t a sweepstake. We actually have to achieve a “skillful” challenge to be eligible for the prize, so it’s not just a random enter and be lucky thing. As an example, many national TV shows in Australia use this loophole of giving easy challenges/quizzes to give away prizes easily, so I don’t see why it’s any different for Kongregate.

Flag Post

It’s because Australia’s laws do not allow Australians to win.

War, if someone from the countries that are cannot participate wins, the prize is simply given to the person next in line. You don’t get to decide what to do with it. Or at least that’s how it was last time.

Flag Post

You can always move away from Australia!

Flag Post

Yeah, it’s not really that obvious why, but we had the same problem the last time Kong did this sort of thing. Basically (my understanding), this kind of ‘gambling’ is illegal in some states in Australia, and it’s too hard for Kong to separate by state by state, or defend a possible legal challenge if someone complained. So (quite understandably really), Kong just made Aussies ineligible.

Really, what we should do is send angry emails to the states telling them to fix their stupid laws (that aren’t used anywhere else in the world), and then send the federal government an email telling them the states can’t get their act together and we need a single piece of gambling legislation for the whole nation, not easily exploitable patches of law in different states (that stop me winning xbox!). We tell them to model it on the American system.

…Well, that’s what I think we should do. Australians! To me!

Flag Post

You don’t get to decide what to do with it. Or at least that’s how it was last time.

Did that happen last time?

Flag Post

Yeh it happened last time with the Xbox or maybe it is just too far to send sumthing

Flag Post

Did that happen last time?

It happened while we were preparing for the future.

[No, seriously, the other one was Fallout.]

Flag Post

I think I’d explain this last time about the different states needing individual permits, while some of the other states actually might not need a permit at all. Even though it is a free entry for the “trade promotion lottery” it still needs to follow those individual laws.

I’ll give an example for Victoria since I live their and know their laws better than the other states. Firstly it is needed to be identified as a lottery which it is due to the element of chance involved (if there is any element of chance involved it is classified as a trade promotion lottery to the best of my knowledge).

Secondly the total cost of the prize which in this case of the Xbox and the game is under the allotted $5000 (AU) needed to not have a permit, though the the ‘Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation’ may want information regarding this competition.

Thirdly no entry fee which is covered.

Fourth if the individual prize exceeds $250 (AU) the winner needs to be published in a Victorian newspaper circulating across the state, though I don’t know if this would apply for international organisations such as Kong.

Fifth winner needs to be notified in writing. (I think email is sufficeint for this aspect)

Lastly the promotional material/entry form must include the details closing date, when and where it will be drawn, means of notification for winner and conditions of entry.

That’s what you are dealing with if you are in Victoria without the need for a permit, while a permit is a whole other story. Then you have to deal with the other 7 states and territories who has different laws, for example South Australia needs a permit for prizes over $500 (AU). Also there would most likely be a issue of Kongregate being in the US which perhaps opens other laws. This is the convoluted nature of the Australian legal system which applies to all aspects of Australian life not just competitions and lotteries.

Anyways enough information for this post if anyone knows the exact details of Australian law be sure to correct me, this is just my basic understanding of marketing law. If Kong wants to pursue having competitions in Australia they might need to have representatives across the country which would be a waste of resources unless Australia changes their laws which is very unlikely.

Flag Post

Yeah Ronin, I think I read your post regarding the previous Fallout competition. This certainly makes the most sense, although speculation is still nothing compared to an official POV

Flag Post

Left4Dead is worth moving away from Australia.