Forums Kongregate

Suggestion: Cloud saves!

28 posts

Flag Post

Hello!

I just had an awesome idea. And instead of bumping up age-old posts with the same idea (this and this), I decided to make a new one.
I don’t know how much this topic has been up in more private forums, but the aforementioned posts haven’t recieved any official answers. (Also forgive me, for I had not the strength to browse through 580 pages of the sticky Suggestions topic…)

So, here it is:

Cloud save

ie. saving backups of game saves on the Kongregate server(s).

Why?

-I travel a lot between computers. When I’m anywhere else but on my home PC, it’s kind of a drag to start anything on Kongregate, knowing I don’t have more than an hour tops, and will lose whatever greater progress I might achieve. Effectively chaining me to my home PC. (I’m what you might call a badge hunter)
-Hardware failure, disaster backups. I’ve lost some sweet badge hunting progress because of hard drive failures.
-Switching browsers. (“Meh, I grow tired of old Firefox. I wish to adventure with Chrome! But alas, where’ve my files gone?”)
-“Oops, deleted my cookies” -incidents

Why not?

Most (if not all) of the objections in the earlier topics concern space.
Of course you’ll have a problem if you automatically backup everything, for every game, for every user. The obvious solution to this would be limitations, here’s a few examples:
- Only for logged in users
- Only manual backups
- Limit number of available saves (5-20 games per user, or some KB/MB limit per user.)
- Only for games that actually have use for it (excluding games with no progress)
- Only for users who’ve purchased kreds, or K+ users (depending on how much space is actually needed, costs, etc.)
- You could encourage/suggest deletion of backups for games that a user has achieved all badges from

I’m not going to dig into mathematics, but I doubt more than a fraction of users would use the Save function if it was implemented as manual.
My chat.kongregate.com folder takes up 3,17MB (Size on disk, actual Size 1,37MB) of disk space. I’d only use a fraction of that for backups. My biggest save files take up to 25KB per.

You can do this yourself by backing up your savefiles and then hosting them on a server.
-Kioyoh, Feb 21, 2010

Sure, but it’s manual labor, excessive digging through folders (~19 subfolders per game on Chrome, Win7) and fiddling with gameID’s and whatnot. Especially if you’re not adept at scripting. Also, not everyone has the chance or know-how to host for theirselves. Not to mention possible access restrictions, and file locations differing between browsers and OS’s.
All in all, very un-user friendly.

While there are utilities for backing up Kong saves, they lack key features such as managing single games and browser independency (while IE and Firefox share the flash cache, Chrome uses its own which is apparently not backed up here).

How?

Games could have a Cloud Save button eg. on the Game tab of the Chat, as well as a Load button (perhaps visible only when there’s a save backup available).
Pressing this would copy files from your flash cache folder for the game in question up to the server (Or from the runtime, I don’t know much about flash technicalities).
If space limits were used, upon reaching the roof, users could be transported to a subpage on their profile where they could manage their save storage (delete old ones per game, maybe even load them onto their local cache before deletion).

There. Now, please, I’d appreciate feedback on the matter. As would some other users too, I’m sure.

-Drulak

EDIT: Small artistic discrepancy :)

Flag Post

hmm not sure about here on Kong but i do love cloud on xbox hehe!

Flag Post

Although I’ve never had an ArmorGames account, their universal save feature does seem rather useful.

Flag Post

What kind of crazy idea is this? Next you’ll want flash games to work on your smart phones with a kong mobile app.

ridiculous…

Flag Post

I suggested to implement this as part of K+, or even as a separate upgrade.

It’d be a really nice feature which would make it really easy to log into Kong from different computers and being able to continue your game where you left it, without having to be moving save files from one device to another. And people wouldn’t have to worry about losing their data.

Flag Post

In theroy, you could put this on a flash drive, However i love the K+ idea.

Flag Post

I’m pretty sure this would encourage a lot more users to buy K+.

I mainly bought K+ for the sexy profile themes, cloud saves would be another thing that will encourage me to continue supporting K+ for another year.

Flag Post

I love the latest trend of putting “cloud storage” behind subscription models, because storage space is SOOOOOOOOO expensive and flash saved games take up SO MUCH SPACE! /sarcasm

Seriously my Kongregate SO folder has 2.26 MB of save game files in it! That’s from a years worth of playing games on Kong.

“User Content” of some games on Kong use more space for a single piece of content than all my saved games

I’m actually surprised no site has really pushed to support for online saves other than Armor Games.

Flag Post

I’m going to concur with Senekis, this would be another great benefit to add to the Kongregate Plus advantages, and it’s something that every user can relate to.

Flag Post

I support your notion. That’s something people would buy. You might as well jack up the price by a penny.

kmg, putting you as the average person(there’s some with none and quite many with way more than you),
2.26 × 8750 000 = 19 775 000 MB. Oh. 18.85 TB. Errr… Kong, I suppose we could do that, but I think even if it IS implemented for Kong+ users, it would be a good action. You would get way more K+ subscriptions, plus they would be happy with the benefits.

So now the only thing to iron out is what happens if you don’t reapply for the K+ thing.

Flag Post

Thanks for the replies, guys!

I have to reiterate, your current cache folder does not give an accurate comparison of how much space a smart save system requires from Kongregate. Your current cache consists of all the data that every single game has saved (and not purged), which means loads of data you wouldn’t actively save yourself, given the chance.

Flag Post

I lost all my saves a few months back, and since then, I rarely play games where your progress is saved locally. I just will be constantly worried of losing all my progress again.

I’d love a change like this.

I’d actually buy K+ if it had this.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

I lost all my saves a few months back, and since then, I rarely play games where your progress is saved locally. I just will be constantly worried of losing all my progress again.

Backup your save files on a flash drive every two weeks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

With how unreliable my “computer” is, I should definitely do that too. xD

I think it would be an awesome addition, yeah! It’s not essential, and yet it makes K+ more appealing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

With how unreliable my “computer” is, I should definitely do that too. xD

This is a perfect post explaining how to find them if anyone doesn’t know where they are.

Flag Post

I give that link… 5/5.
How many of you actually back up your save files often though?
I did for Paladog for a bit, I just had a folder on my desktop I’d drag the save files to.
(lousy game takes forever!)

Flag Post

I give that link… 5/5.
I did for Paladog for a bit, I just had a folder on my desktop I’d drag the save files to.

Ironically I started when Bobby told me he lost his saves, those few months ago, because at the time I was secretly competing against him and his level xP I now try to, like I mentioned before, backup every two weeks.
And yea, I thought Paladog would never end >.<

Flag Post

I give that link… 5/5.

Ironically I started when Bobby told me he lost his saves, those few months ago, because at the time I was secretly competing against him and his level xP I now try to, like I mentioned before, backup every two weeks.
And yea, I thought Paladog would never end >.<

You thought it would never end because it really does never end. D:

Flag Post

While sobbing after lost save files strengthens my point, I’d appreciate it if this topic was kept on rail, thank you. :)

Originally posted by Valfrit:

Another pro for Cloud saving is it could prevent the case of illegitimate achievements, e.g. giving your completed .sol files to a friend so he can instantly gain all achievements in a game.
(that is if you’re forced to use Cloud)

A beautiful thought, but as much as I’m for anti-cheating, this is the wrong way to do it.

First of all, people lose connections. And when the connection resumes, (I assume) there’s no way to know whether the .sol file has been modified naturally by progressing in the game, or manually. To make this work, yes, you’d have to not only force cloud saves, but also prevent offline playing (ie. playing on your browser after connection lost). I’m not sure it’s even possible to make flash work this way.

Secondly, forcing cloud saves pretty much takes away every single storage benefit that a smart save system gives. It would mean caching all flash content on Kongregate instead of locally, bloating Kong space to high heavens. No no.

(Tagging .sol files with usernames is another idea worth brainstorming, but that’s a discussion for another topic)

Flag Post

Cool idea.

It could be part of K+ easily, I think.

But it could also be manual saves, for non-K+, for 1 game.

There could be a little button that says Save File to Kongregate, and Kong could just allow us 1 game save. Just so you can play on the go.

This might increase Kong’s views and play time for such people who want to pick up and play their fav game of the week, where ever they go.

Flag Post

please do this i’m am tired of my brother deleting cookies of the computer….for this reason i can’t beat any long level games, only short games

Flag Post

how about just 3 games so we can beat it and change games later and kongregate pulse gets 5 or 6

Flag Post
Originally posted by FateIsEscaped:

But it could also be manual saves, for non-K+, for 1 game.

I actually like this addition. It could also give people incentive to go for K+, after having tried this kind of a “demo” of K+ features.

Flag Post

I’d probably get K+ if it’d have this cloud save feature.

Flag Post

I think it would be a really nice addition to K+. I myself am not a gamer so I probably wouldn’t use it myself, but it does mean it’s optional and would give priority (And Kong server space) to those who want it ^^

Nice ideas guys :3