Forums Kongregate

New badge discussion page 14

1490 posts

Flag Post

Huh, great minds think alike, I guess. I will occasionally use badge names suggestions from that thread, but I try to send a shout to the person who suggested it when I do. I didn’t even see that suggestion before adding the badges, but it isn’t completely unheard of for Greg or me to use a badge name that was suggested without reading the suggestion when they are, as you pointed out, fairly obvious references to make.

Flag Post

You should award a few kreds to people who vigilantly seek out games and successfully propose a badge idea.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheAznSensation:

You should award a few kreds to people who vigilantly seek out games and successfully propose a badge idea.

That… would end poorly. Because all the good suggestions (already distilled into one thread) would be completely drowned out by all the terrible suggestions of people trying to get kreds.

Flag Post

So we’re all out of new games that we’re re-badging old ones?

Notebook wars N, same as Notebook wars N-1, and Papa’s whateveria XXXIII. I can’t even be arsed to go after the easy badge for the Flipline game, it feels so much like a repeat of every single Papa game ever… Oh well, at least the hard Notebook badge is more like a medium-difficulty medium. The Tesla medium was harder, even.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

So we’re all out of new games that we’re re-badging old ones?

Notebook wars N, same as Notebook wars N-1, and Papa’s whateveria XXXIII. I can’t even be arsed to go after the easy badge for the Flipline game, it feels so much like a repeat of every single Papa game ever… Oh well, at least the hard Notebook badge is more like a medium-difficulty medium. The Tesla medium was harder, even.

The easy is not too bad because I assume you can just serve 10 raw hotdogs for it, which should only take a few minutes.

Flag Post

Papa and the MMO aside, I’ve quite liked the recent badges.

Flag Post

I’m willing to concede my snarky comment about Tesla on the grounds that while tower defense isn’t my thing I can at least recognize its substance.

Notebook Wars is…eh. The middle game was less grindy than in the previous game, but the first couple levels don’t drop nearly enough gold to upgrade and kill anything immediately after without grinding, and the last level is basically grinding six-figure amounts of gold to upgrade the final weapon until stuff happens to die before it rams you. It’s not exactly a shining example of balance.

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobby71983:

Shameless Clone 2 is 3.59 with 100k plays. It needs API though.

easy: 10 upgrades

medium: unlock miku

I feel like the game is a bit too repetitive to give it a game finished medium as well.

Go here

n00b :-P

Edit @ below: I figured. Twas funny.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:
Originally posted by bobby71983:

Shameless Clone 2 is 3.59 with 100k plays. It needs API though.

easy: 10 upgrades

medium: unlock miku

I feel like the game is a bit too repetitive to give it a game finished medium as well.

Go here

n00b :-P

Oops.

I was ready both threads and got them mixed up.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Pykrete:

I’m willing to concede my snarky comment about Tesla on the grounds that while tower defense isn’t my thing I can at least recognize its substance.

Notebook Wars is…eh. The middle game was less grindy than in the previous game, but the first couple levels don’t drop nearly enough gold to upgrade and kill anything immediately after without grinding, and the last level is basically grinding six-figure amounts of gold to upgrade the final weapon until stuff happens to die before it rams you. It’s not exactly a shining example of balance.

I’d like to point out that the badge is very doable without upgrading any weapons…you just treat the last couple of levels as an avoider instead of a shooter. Pretty easy really. I didn’t even realise you could upgrade the weapons until I read this post.

Anyway, new badges…the new notebook wars is probably the best of the three (notebook wars), though the badges seem kind of insufficient. The new papa’s game is very underwhelming. The nay-sayers have been neighing for some time, but this time they’re finally right: as far as actual game mechanics go, hotdoggeria is the first papa’s game to add precisely nothing. Feels like a repeat of the taco one, and the food looks unappetising. And I like hot dogs godammit. The badges were about right I suppose. Meh.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:as far as actual game mechanics go, hotdoggeria is the first papa’s game to add precisely nothing.

This isn’t quite true, but it might as well could be (there are new mini games and some complexity has been added to the decoration of your shop, but you don’t need to notice either of these things going for the medium.)

Flag Post

Yeah but the minigames have always been ducklife-level quality and if redecorating your lobby constitutes gameplay, then I’ve been wrong all this time about dress-up games.

Flag Post

I do think the medium badge was wrong for this game. We’ve already seen this type of a medium badge more than once, maybe there could’ve been something related to the badges similar to Freezeria.

Flag Post

The changes to how you decorate your restaurant was definitely one of the biggest developments in this game over previous games in the series and initially I was definitely going to add a badge for that. The issue is that the badge would be for something like ‘get 3 of one set’ or ‘get 3 of 3 different sets’ and that would dictate or at least sway game play decisions, which is something we try to avoid. Things like timers and fast cooker-things make sense as initial upgrades, but if there was a badge to get sets, people would be compelled to spend their tips on posters and such instead of cooking upgrades because they wanted to earn the badge sooner. In getting to rank 9, you unlock 3 different buns, 2 different meats, a few toppings, and 2 different sodas, and by that point your initial decorations start deteriorating in freshness so that concept is introduced as well. It felt like a good point in the game where you have to juggle unique orders with multiple variables and you will have seen each minigame at least once without having to get too far into the game. Obviously a completionist badge for this game wouldn’t make sense, so we just wanted to pick a good point to get users to that introduce the concepts of the game so they have a taste of what to expect if they want to go ahead and keep playing the game.

Flag Post

Wow, there is a LOT more thought put into badges than I thought… You guys are great!!
EDIT: I really enjoyed this Tesla Defense game. Nice pick =)

Flag Post

Wait how do we add achievements to our game?

Flag Post
Originally posted by NickCharming:

Wait how do we add achievements to our game?

Kongregate adds badges based on the 3 criteria: rating (>~3.6), views and API.

Flag Post

Got to Rank 9 on Papa’s Hot Doggeria after Day 12! It doesn’t take that long – it’s pretty fun. =)
EDIT: This means I didn’t get the Hyper Green, I only got it in Day 13.

Flag Post

I can’t see why the Doodle Destroyer Badge requires you to beat Notebook Wars 3: Unleashed specifically on the “normal” difficulty. The Frantic Mode is far more fun – why not make it “beat it on any difficulty”? You do have that new(ish) feature of making three requirements with only one needing to be satisfied to earn the badge, right? So why not make one for each difficulty!? :D

Flag Post

Play my game… Asteroid Killer

Maybe we can get a easy once you complete level 10..?

Flag Post

I try not to be one to bitch about new badges, but I’m seriously not a fan of adding more badges to a PBBG nine months after it was originally badged. At this point I haven’t played the game for so long, I no longer remember how to play, how to compose a deck, and I can’t restart the game to figure out how to play again. Nor would I want to restart it, because it would only force me to wait even longer for more energy.

Flag Post

You put a hard on Clash of the Dragons? Really? One of the ones that already got lambasted for getting badges at all?

Uuuuuuurgh.

Flag Post

I am a bit surprised. You DID say you would probably add more badges to this, but when oh..9 months passed, I figured you forgot about it :P

Glad that I inherit these, as I am in zone 10(i think). I quit the game a month ago, and am staying quit, but thanks for the free badges :P

Flag Post

I’m still waiting for Enigmata.

Flag Post

Why? Just… why?
What have us badge hunters done to deserve such a thing?
Why does this game deserve anything more than the medium for level 25?
Please don’t do this for LoaTS, DotD, and LoH too. :/