Forums Kongregate

New badge discussion page 7

1490 posts

Flag Post

This is just plain retarded. The game is good, the badges are great, difficult, skill-based and yet very doable. 3.92 to 3.12… I feel bad for Terry:/

Flag Post
Originally posted by ivod:

This is just plain retarded. The game is good, the badges are great, difficult, skill-based and yet very doable. 3.92 to 3.12… I feel bad for Terry:/

I agree with everything in this post.

Flag Post

On the plus side, the game’s been out for long enough to have won any prizes it was going to. Badges are just extra page views regardless of the new ratings at this point.

Flag Post

Not the sort of thing I’m personally good at (and I’ve never been a fan of YAY SEIZURE games), but it is the kind of badge we need more of.

Flag Post

I can’t play this game for more than a few minutes at a time without getting headaches.

Honestly, Hexagon rated at 3.1 is appropriate. I do not think it is a great game. I gave it a 3/5 during the Kongolympics(that was where I remember it from right?) and I think I’m being generous because I only gave it that because the game does what it does well, but what it does isn’t much. I tend to 3/5 games like that because I find them average. Hexagon is an average game.

As for the badge, just because some people can post 500s and 600s(and I still wonder if those people are human) does not mean that 60 is easy. I think this is among the more difficult skill based hard badges that can potentially be won in a short amount of time.

Flag Post

Well, it’s a matter of skills; not everyone is good at that kind of games. In my case, I found it easier to achive than the JumpingLine one (a medium), which I haven’t got yet.

About the rating, it’s a common effect in such games; there are no checkpoints, no nothing; you die and you have to start over. I guess many are agequitting and giving it 1/5, not because the game is bad, but because they’re unskilled.

Flag Post

There are a lot of comments with people raging about the controls, but it’s likely just what I call MoneySeize Syndrome: the controls are fine, but the person using the controls is sloppy and instead of blaming themselves when they fuck up and die, they blame non-existent glitches in the controls. This leads to a failure on the part of the user to want improve their technique, so they never end up getting better at the game, they just end up angry and badgeless.

Flag Post
I guess many are agequitting and giving it 1/5

What? :P

Agreed with your post. It’s a shame but not much can be done about it.

EDIT: Oh, I get it. Are agequitting, r agequitting, ragequitting.

Flag Post

I’m sure there are 1/5 ragequitters, but I still think the majority of the rating(like most ratings) is just the rating settling to what it should be at once it gets exposed to a wider audience. Most games that get badged lose rating after badging because people overrate games just to get them badged in the first place(or just to support the developer or something).

This game settling at around 3 will not make me feel any sympathy for the dev. If it goes to 2.5 or lower, then we can start rating bot conspiracies.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

There are a lot of comments with people raging about the controls, but it’s likely just what I call MoneySeize Syndrome: the controls are fine, but the person using the controls is sloppy and instead of blaming themselves when they fuck up and die, they blame non-existent glitches in the controls. This leads to a failure on the part of the user to want improve their technique, so they never end up getting better at the game, they just end up angry and badgeless.

I’ve played MoneySeize on 2 computers. On this one controls were fine.

On the previous one, which I earnt the hard badge on, controls were laggy and responsiveness was variable. I don’t know why it worked fine on one computer and not the other, but it’s certainly possible for someone to have a legitimate complaint with MoneySeize’s controls.

Flag Post

That said, there are also several games that have intermittent input lag that changes wildly from system to system. Several of the more recent games will run fine on my desktop, but on the laptop I’ll get a cascading delay on input to the point that I can take my hands off the keyboard and watch backlogged input keep going for the next 5+ seconds. This despite the fact that the desktop is really old and actually slower than the laptop.

Flag Post

The game has no levels, upgrade system, bonus system, game modes or anything like that.
If you die you start over again, there’s nothing new, nothing to unlock.
The graphics are extremly annoying to me. I hate this swelling/shrinking effect.

A game like this could be a minigame inside another, bigger game.

I find a rating around 3.0 completely appropriate. It’s probably a great game for a tourney, but aside from that, the game simply lacks content.

However I’m glad it got badges, simply because I’m convinced badges should advertise a wide variaty of games on Kong. Even if only a smaller part of the gamers will like it.

Flag Post

Deep Sleep.
“Waking Up” – Completing the game.

Discuss.

Great game, kind of scared the shit out of me a bit and freaked me out a bit.

Flag Post

Deep Sleep was good. Probably the second-best game to get badges this week. Medium badge felt about right.

Flag Post

What surprised me was that it was uploaded yesterday.

Flag Post

Back to the Hexagon rating…
I think a rating just above 3 is appropriate, 3.25 to 3.3 seems right to me. If you compare it to other games rated at 3.9(Multitask 2 is 3.80) it becomes apparent that a pseudo rating bubble was inflated and bound to pop. I’m positive a lot of people rated it a 1/5 because of new badge frustration.

Flag Post
Originally posted by BlackBone:

Back to the Hexagon rating…
I think a rating just above 3 is appropriate, 3.25 to 3.3 seems right to me. If you compare it to other games rated at 3.9(Multitask 2 is 3.80) it becomes apparent that a pseudo rating bubble was inflated and bound to pop. I’m positive a lot of people rated it a 1/5 because of new badge frustration.

I’d agree with the rating being around 3-3.25 And I wish people would use the rating system properly. 3 is I liked It… and I did. I didn’t Really Like It when I played it, and I didn’t feel the desire to keep playing it beyond a couple minutes.

That said, I don’t mind that it got badges, but I think a 30 second medium would have been better than a 60 second hard.

/i give a full 90 seconds hard

Flag Post

I do think that the Hexagon badges were good in difficulty. 60 seconds was challenging enough (since, ahem, not all players are as good as the people in this thread saying the hard should’ve been 90 secs) for a hard — I do say that it might’ve been from the easier end of hards, but it was not easy in any case.

Also, Deep Sleep was a little scary.

Flag Post

who cares what nubs rate the game as, Terry himself put the game on his “throwaway games” account
what’s important is: an awesome game finally got the badges it deserves, and kongregate sucks a bit less now
<3

Flag Post

Deep Sleep was probably the best badged game this year.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Fusha:

who cares what nubs rate the game as, Terry himself put the game on his “throwaway games” account
what’s important is: an awesome game finally got the badges it deserves, and kongregate sucks a bit less now
<3

Yeah but it worries me that now, when Super Hexagon comes out on flash (and hopefully maybe on Kong), it might not get the impossible badge it deserves. And apart from that, while it doesn’t bother me the rating is low, it does bother me that people rate games low simply because they’re bad at them.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:
Originally posted by Fusha:

<3

Yeah but it worries me that now, when Super Hexagon comes out on flash (and hopefully maybe on Kong), it might not get the impossible badge it deserves. And apart from that, while it doesn’t bother me the rating is low, it does bother me that people rate games low simply because they’re bad at them.

Huh?

Hundreds of games on Kong could get impossible badges. Why does one deserve it over another?

Flag Post

Infectonator 2 got three badges and the challenge.

Infectious Innovation (Challenge)
25 Upgrades Purchased

Undead Duo Badge ( easy ~ 5 points )
2 Zombies Purchased

Six Million Dollar Ghoul Badge ( medium ~ 15 points )
60 Upgrades Purchased

Planet vs. Zombies Badge ( medium ~ 15 points )
52 Locations Destroyed

The easy badge doesn’t seem to work retro-actively. I had all zombies except one, bought the last one, and now I have only bought one in total according to API. Also can’t buy another one for the badge ’cause I have all of them already.

Good game btw.

Flag Post

None of the Infectonator badges work retroactively. Had to complete the new game + mode that I’d started about a week ago to get the badges.

It’s a pretty good game, though it doesn’t seem to add much to the original.

Flag Post

If you’ve already completed Infectonator 2 you’ll hopefully still have your completed-except-one-area autosaved game left over (I did, anyway)… buy any upgrade and finish the last area again for the two mediums.