Forums Kongregate

New Downloadable Game - Bomb Buddies page 3

87 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:
Originally posted by Birch:
Originally posted by machopi:

This is what selling out gets you. Shitty downloads of mediocre games on our flash site.
Well, good job gamestop, thanks for the steaming pile or horse manure you’re turning Kong into.

Amen, brother.

I missed the part where downloadable games were mandatory.

I missed the part where gamestop was involved.

Flag Post

This is great. Just… don’t start charging games for Kreds. ;_;

Flag Post

I can’t really understand why everyone is so serious.
It is just one more game of the currently 63,093 games currently available on Kong. You do not have to install, play or even look at it. It is an addition, not a compromise. None of the Flash games are going away because of this.

On viruses, surely Kong is going to do some sort of testing on the games before they are allowed to pass. It isn’t like people will just be able to upload these games willy-nilly onto Kong.

Badges: unless you feel compelled to play every game and get every badge possible, you don’t need to play this game if you don’t want or aren’t able to. A new game with badges will not take any of your current badges away. You’ll still have them. Unless you absolutely cannot live with yourself not having every badge, how does the creation of more badges negatively affect you?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I would hope that Kong QAs the content they’re delivering to us.

Originally posted by feartehstickman:

On viruses, surely Kong is going to do some sort of testing on the games before they are allowed to pass. It isn’t like people will just be able to upload these games willy-nilly onto Kong.

Thanks for making my point guys. Don’t feel bad, you’re not the only ones who will implicitly trust any content provider because they go through Kongregate to advertise their wares. That’s what makes downloadable games such a marvelously insidious way to propagate malware. The user thinks the advertiser will check what they advertise (they won’t, it’s not their job) and the advertiser will deflect all responsibility to the end user (and rightfully, too.)

For flash games, anyone can right now “upload [any .swf they want] willy-nilly onto Kong”, but it’s no big deal as Flash does not unlock much access to the recipient’s computer. It would be very hard to hijack someone’s machine through Flash. You’d have to exploit an unknown vulnerability and Adobe would patch the hole as soon as it’s uncovered. That’s why downloadable games are such a game-changer: When you install an application, you give it full administrator access on your machine. It can do whatever it wants and it doesn’t have to tell you about it.

Sure, right now, downloadable games are new and Kong is keeping a very close eye on who they partner with, but just wait until the concept takes off.

Flag Post

well, my pc cant handle it…

Flag Post

Implicitly trust? Kongregate has given me no reason not to trust them. I’m a business-minded person, it’s how I think and how I view situations. Whether people here like it or not, Kongregate is a business. When it comes to websites on the internet, the saying is, “if they’re not trying to sell you something, you are the product” and that’s fine. It’s a symbiotic, win-win relationship. I get to play games and a bunch of people get to eat and sleep in a warm bed. I don’t see a problem with that.

We’re Kongregate’s revenue stream. To get this far, they have to be pretty damn smart, so I don’t see them turning around and burning us. Maybe it’ll happen, maybe not. If it does, I’ll bet that it’s a mistake (we all make mistakes) and they’ll do their best to correct that mistake. I’m not blindly trusting someone (Kongregate), I’m using logical thinking to prove that I don’t need to be distrustful.

Flag Post

All the ‘updates’ in the past year have been more than enough reason not to trust Kong anymore.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

All the ‘updates’ in the past year (in my opinion) have been more than enough reason not to trust Kong anymore.

Fixed.

Also, if you don’t trust Kongregate, why are you here?

v If you’re cool with using a company’s products when you don’t trust them, then okie dokie.

Flag Post

Since when does trusting a company have anything to do with using their products?

See: Google, Sony, Apple.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ace_Blue:
Originally posted by wattro:

That said, I’d prefer there not be badges for downloadable games since I don’t really want to have to install stuff on my computer. Once you get a downloadable game, with an installer… there’s no telling what that installer is linked up to.

This. Absolutely this. Once downloadable games become an accepted practice, they turn into a wonderful delivery method for any type of payload you can include in the game’s installer. Expect all sorts of crap to come bundled with your install, with no quality control on the part of the distributor (Kong, whose business is not to make sure you don’t download and install garbage on your computer.)

If I wanted to install keyloggers or backdoors on a large number of machines quickly, bundling them with a ‘free’ game is exactly the way I would proceed, since the users won’t even be surprised when the software phones home. Then all I would need would be a high-profile third-party site to distribute the malware, but without taking a look at what the contents are or where they come from. It used to be that hackers had to hijack legitimate sites to make them host their goodies. It’s very kind of Kong to volunteer to do it freely.

I’m going to assume that if a game is to become downloadable, there will be plenty of safety measures involved. I doubt if your a serious developer, you would want to be associated with virus’ and other undesirable whatnots.

Even if a FUD crypter or binder is used, they will eventually be picked up on, even the private ones.

I like the idea of downloadable games, as long as only quality games are allowed after a long process of testing and scanning by Kong staff.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Maik50:

The gameplay itself seems fun and satisfying (because it’s MOBA styled game) but still, it’s downloadable game where there is one concern that touches me: Use of hard drive space

I’m all out of it, and there is only a small chance that I am able to get more. So for now, I am against badges for downloadable content (excluding Kong arcade, including Escape)

The file size of SmashMuck is 2GBs. If you compare that to WoW (20GBs), TF2 (14GBs), Left 4 Dead (20GB), SMC is really small.

Flag Post

Lots of serious developers have crappy ass shit included in their installers. Just yesterday I installed a divX web video player and it wanted me to install Norton. I think even VLC Video Player wants you to install a couple layers of extra stuff. Worst part: these things are all defaulted to ‘yes’. Whenever there’s money at the root, there’s a chance that some good-natured developer has packaged some crap in the installer.

2GB is pretty sizable for some users, depending on the speed of their internet connection. For people with shit connections trying to download these, people might start recommending 3rd party download managers… oh joy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Captain_Catface:

Since when does trusting a company have anything to do with using their products?

See: Google, Sony, Apple.

I think we all trust Kongregate to an point, or we wouldn’t be here. My very presence on this site means I am trusting my laptop’s manufacturers, the makers of my operating system, the people who coded my browser, the folks who coded my Flash player, the advertisers on this site (or the people who code XYZ ad-blocking software), and Kongregate itself. Trust is definitely an integral part of using this site. I trust them not to misuse my information, I trust them not to destroy my computer, and I trust them to provide me with a reasonable amount of entertainment. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t come to this site.

Sure, I will be cautious when downloading anything (as I would be anyway), and I hope Kongregate will closely monitor (and limit) the types of material they offer for download. I also hope they will closely review the installer mechanisms used by those games they choose to offer here. However, I don’t object to the idea itself. I think it’s a solid tie-in with the GameStop and Kongregate missions of providing awesome games for gamers to play, and think this will offer us all more gaming options.

Flag Post

On the subject of pre-screened downloadable games, the games we will be offering for download will certainly be checked through us, and not every developer can make their game downloadable at their own decision. That’d be a nightmare.

These games will be more like little gifts we give out every so often that we’ve played and tested beforehand.

Flag Post

I dont see why people are crying over a game that you can download. Oh know you dont have like half a gig of download space on your computer, if you dont remove all of your stupid wiggles episodes that you have downloaded, this game only took me about 10 mins to download, its not like LoL (Which this game is probably inspired by) which is about 3 gigs on your hard drive, JUST GET OVER IT.

If you don’t want Kongregate to “release” downloadable games then too bad because thats what they want to do now leave them alone… Also the people that say that this game looks “Shit” have you played it? No?, then how do you know?

Flag Post
The user thinks the advertiser will check what they advertise (they won’t, it’s not their job) and the advertiser will deflect all responsibility to the end user (and rightfully, too.)
Originally posted by Zshadow:

On the subject of pre-screened downloadable games, the games we will be offering for download will certainly be checked through us, and not every developer can make their game downloadable at their own decision. That’d be a nightmare.

These games will be more like little gifts we give out every so often that we’ve played and tested beforehand.

I hate to say I told you so. Well, let’s be honest, I really don’t.

Flag Post

Haha fearteh. If you’ve read my previous posts in this thread, as I’m sure you have, you’ll note I started my first one with “Once downloadable games become an accepted practice”. I’m not thinking about this one game, I’m thinking about the future of the practice. And thanks ZShadow for pointing out that once “every developer can make their game downloadable at their own decision” it will “be a nightmare.” I hope we never get to that point, no matter how much money there is to make in advertising downloadable games.

Flag Post

Are there going to be badges on the downloaded games, to still level us up on the browser?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Chronova:

Are there going to be badges on the downloaded games, to still level us up on the browser?

I mentioned that already, it’s a possibility.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Haha fearteh. If you’ve read my previous posts in this thread, as I’m sure you have, you’ll note I started my first one with “Once downloadable games become an accepted practice”. I’m not thinking about this one game, I’m thinking about the future of the practice. And thanks ZShadow for pointing out that once “every developer can make their game downloadable at their own decision” it will “be a nightmare.” I hope we never get to that point, no matter how much money there is to make in advertising downloadable games.

Where did you get the once from ZShadow’s post?

Whether or not they perhaps become an accepted practice on Kongregate in the future, they are already an accepted practice on many other websites and I don’t see everyones’ computers suddenly blowing up. A little caution and vigilance goes a long way.

Flag Post

How come ya can’t play this game on here? Can’t ya have a flash version?

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
When you install an application, you give it full administrator access on your machine.

No you don’t. You can, and a few applications require it, but these games run perfectly fine without administrator access, and from what I’ve tested, install without it by default.

Flag Post

I can handle downloadable games, in fact it’s a great way for indie developers to get there name out there, HOWEVER I’m not a fan of how it will effect all of us. Think of it, when someone submits this downloadable game, it could have all sorts of content, from great sprites, to wonderful gameplay, to the worst in the world, i don’t really care about that…however what it will also have is capability, the capability for kongregate to end up being a paid subscription for just the downloadable games. It’ll make it so these “points” we earn will become a huge competition…it’ll give hackers more ability to take control of computers as well through these online exe files. are you guys going to check EVERY file that is put up as an executable game? if not we are going to have a huge security issue. Also how is this going to affect the users who just want to casually game? more developers are going to move onto creating exe files, and these lower flash games are going to be forgotten by many of the people rating, giving a huge advantage to those creating these massive downloadable games. Are the rewards going to be separate? it seems this could be a good or bad move…i truly hope it’s a good move over all. please kongregate, for the love of god, don’t turn into a site that requires you to pay money to even browse the games.