a few survive this war.

Unsuccessful 14 times,
a 15th is born.
A Holochess champion
strong with the force.
A Jedi who sees war
as if it were only a game.
There may be a new hope with…

Your first day on Kongregate. Were you bored? Trying to impress a boy or girl with your 1337 flash gaming skills? How did you decide on your username, and what was the first game you played?

A couple years ago I wanted people to play my games (they were extremely good, and made with Flash 5. I remember bringing the Flash 5 manual to school in second grade.) I needed to make a username in order to upload my games, so I went with one of the first names that popped into my head, which happened to be “GameBuilder15.” I don’t really like the name anymore but there’s no going back. I’m not sure of the very first game I played on Kong. It might have been Mechanical Commando 2.

Obviously, you are not GameBuilder15 in real life(or maybe you are? O_o). Do you mind if I ask what your alter ego is, and where you live? (i.e. My name’s Anakin. I live in the desert on a moisture farm in a New Human Settlement.)

My name’s Nick. See if you can figure out my last name. I live in the country on a farm in New York.

Skywalker.

What are your favorite games? Yes I am that lazy to not click on your favorite games on your profile. =] Why are they your favorites? Do you like a specific genre of game, does any aspect draw you to a game more than others?

I was a huge PR2 fan a couple years ago but I stopped playing eventually because it got too hard to level up. My favorite game genres are shooter and (I don’t know what you call the kinds of games like Epic Coaster and Line Game) games that take skill. The best Flash shooter that I’ve played is Raze. The sequel wasn’t nearly as good. I was really into RotMG for a few months. Some of my real life friends and I played it together often. The best and worst part of the game is dying.

What kind of role do you see for yourself on Kongregate? (are you a big gamer, like to chat, hang out in the forums, all of the above…) What would you consider your biggest accomplishment(s) here, and talk about some of your history on the site.

I don’t really play that many games on Kong anymore because I can’t seem to find any good games. The newer games just aren’t as good as the old ones, in my opinion. I still use the forums a lot, mainly the Programming and Game Design ones. Regarding accomplishments, II was pretty proud of myself when I got all the Frantic 2 badges, and the Epic Coaster hard badge. I was also pleased when I got the Streamline impossible badge by glitching the game. xD

Do you socialize much on Kongregate? How do you like the chat rooms and forums? Any friends on here you want to give a shout-out?

I rarely use the chat rooms, only when I’m bored. The forums are great though. I have too many friends on Kongregate to mention.

You get a wish upon a star(or two if you want a Kongregate wish), what would it(they) be?

I wish that at least one of my games gets badges. I also wish that at least one of my games gets sponsored by Kongregate or ArmorGames.

In Rbots by A10_com, you navigate the robot heads back to their bodies, so the robots can dance again. What game on Kongregate comes to mind for a story you enjoyed, or a story you would like to see on a Kongregate game?

I like The Breach’s story, but of course that game is pretty much just a clone of Dead Space. I like weird stuff. I read the unabridged version of Dracula and it was amazing. I’m currently reading the unabridged version of Frankenstein.

Jetfart Zombie by KotobukiMedia is now on Kongregate. Does this raise the level for fart jokes, zombie games, or both?

I’m not going to wait to play that game. (It has a third-party ad, flag it. D:)

Have you played any of the top monthly games(or more recent as I asked this a couple weeks ago…)? Any opinions on these games or those you feel are left off the list?

I’ve played a few of them. The newer games just aren’t very interesting to me.

Design a badge(or badges) for games on Kongregate, or for yourself in real life(you can do a somersault, balance a ball on your nose, eat hot chili peppers, etc.)

Hmmm… Maybe an easy badge Raze: Get 25 kills. Med badge for Raze: Complete Human Campaign. Hard badge for Raze: Complete Alien Campaign. That game really should have badges, but there’s no Kong API.

Which game on Kongregate has your favorite music, or what music do you listen to while gaming on Kong?

The Frantic 2 soundtrack is amazing. The game wouldn’t be half as good without it.

Do you have anything you do for good luck, or habits while gaming? (watch tv while gaming, drink mountain dew, eat one row of a corn on the cob after passing each level, light a vanilla scented candle to get your PWNZ0R on, etc.)

Occasionally I’ll eat corn chips or listen to music while I play.

My sources tell me that Robert Pattinson likes to play Doeo on Kongregate(source: fortune cookie). What other celebrity or person from your own life would you not be surprised plays games on Kongregate?

Never heard of the Robert guy but Obama plays Storm the House 3 you know.

When you called yourself Game Builder, you weren’t kidding. You even build the sounds! I love the video, and you seem pretty inspired in your work. I mean you said you scratch using stuff like your mouth and a staple gun. How did you get interested in becoming a sound designer? What are some of the goals you have set for yourself?

I was always kind of interested in sound I guess. I was intrigued by the fact that the TIE fighter roar was made with an elephant when I was 8-9 years old. When I hear something enough, I’ll remember it. I used to play a Sesame Street computer game called Grover’s Travels when I was little. I can tell you all the dialogue in the first scene. I can also tell you pretty much the whole Phantom Menace (complete with sound effects.) I watched that movie too much as a kid. Sound really just jumps out at me. Without trying to, I can easily identify sounds I’ve heard before. For example, Jango Fett’s ship makes a Podracer sound when it releases Seismic charges. General Grievous and Jango’s blasters have the same firing sound.

One of your other interests is filmmaking. Do you see it as similar to video games, or is it much different for you? Are there different aspects, or certain qualities(story, art, sound) that draw you to one and not the other?

Video games and movies are very different. And actually I don’t like games more than movies. I think I would be a better sound designer than game designer or filmmaker because I just think sound is what I’m naturally good at.

Who are some video game designers or filmmakers you like, or whose work you’ve enjoyed?

Chris Sawyer. George Lucas.

What are some video game sounds your critical ear has noticed or admired, that others may completely miss?

I’m rather picky regarding sounds. Personally, I kind of consider mixing sounds other people made “cheating” because it takes little to no skill. I was very pleased to find out that the Halo 4 sound designers recorded the US military using different weapons. I like to know how a sound is made before I decide if it’s a good sound or not.

So basically, this Rollercoaster Tycoon video is what you dream about at night. =] If not Rollercoaster Tycoon, what games do you dream about working on, or what ideas do you have for existing games?

RCT is done. Chris is done making games, sadly. Hmm, what games do I dream about working on? I’m pretty excited for Borderlands 2. It’s coming out today(yes, I am late posting this, sorry.). And I’d like to get hired by Skywalker Sound.

There are A LOT of games out for the Star Wars Universe. Being a big Star Wars fan, do you have any favorites?

xD Oh wow. I had a few Star Wars games I played a lot as a kid. They were Star Wars: Racer, Droidworks, and Pit Droids. My favorites are probably Droidworks and Racer.

You’re the Game Builder, what kind of Star Wars game would you make?

One with lots of shooting. Oh, and reloading.

Do you think there will be more Star Wars movies?

I really, really hope so. I think George could have stuck in an episode between Attack of The Clones and Revenge of the Sith, but now the actors are too old. I think it would be a bad idea to stick movies after Return of the Jedi because Palpatine is dead and the story really doesn’t need to continue.

Have you read any of the Star Wars book, or watch the Clone Wars animated show?

I haven’t read the books, nor do I watch Clone Wars.

What are your favorite scene(s), or character(s) from the movies?

I like the scene where Mace Windu goes to capture Palpatine and then ends up flying out the window. It’s a little annoying though how Mace slowly winds up to slash Palpatine. If he would have just quickly stabbed him he could have saved the galaxy right then and there. I also like the scene where Anakin fights Obi and the scene where Anakin burns up. I’d have to say my favorite characters are… Anakin, Obi, and Padme.

Flag Post

Amazing interview. But Jesse, you should have interviewed me more recently so I can talk about The Art of Game Design.

Flag Post

Source? :O

I used to play a Sesame Street computer game called Grover’s Travels when I was little. I can tell you all the dialogue in the first scene.

OMG! Me too! :-D

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

Source? :O

I used to play a Sesame Street computer game called Grover’s Travels when I was little. I can tell you all the dialogue in the first scene.

OMG! Me too! :-D

Read Storm the House 3’s description.

And did you play The Three Grouchketeers, too? xD

Nararator: Grover and his mommy lived in a cottage by the sea. Grover loved to travel in his little boat. He always left right after breakfast.

Grover’s Travels — scene 1:
Grover’s mom: How do you feel today, Son?
Grover: Hm, let me see. I do not know. I am not certain.
Mom: Are you still going on your travels today?
Grover: Oh yes, Mommy.
Mom: Well, maybe you will learn something about feelings while you are out. Pay special attention to the way people feel.
Grover: Oh yes, Mommy. Goodbye!

Scene 2

Grover had not gone far when he came across three very silly sailors. All their stuff had fallen into a giant clam, and they needed help to get it back.

…I think I’ve gone far enough.

Flag Post

(@ Storm the House 3)
Whoa, I wonder which account Obama has! Probably is Jesse…

(@ Grover’s Travels)
So I went to Google and see if I could find the next set of lines and I happened to notice the year for the game and that didn’t make sense to me. I looked more and the year on another site matched up. I now doubt this was the game I’m thinking of but I could have swore the name of the game was the same. Whoops. I’m sure it was a Sesame Street game that I’m thinking of. In any sense I played a game, which apparently was another one, like you played this one. I wonder what the title of mine was D:

But, yeah, you definitely played the game too much xP

Flag Post

Sorry about the formatting issues earlier. I was in a rush and fixed them.

Originally posted by GameBuilder15:

Amazing interview. But Jesse, you should have interviewed me more recently so I can talk about The Art of Game Design.

Thank you, GameBuilder15. Thanks for doing the interview. I had a lot of fun with this.

I’m assuming you’ve bought the book “The Art of Game Design?”

Had you ever thought of video games in relation to board games, athletic games, or card games before this book?

What are some of the “lenses” or perspectives you relied on before coming across this book, and how has that changed since then?

One of the lenses is “The Lens of Flow.” The flow of a videogame as described by it’s goals. Are the goals clear? Is there anything distracting from the goals? Do the goals account for the player’s improving skills? Do you judge the flow of a game by it’s goals, other benchmarks, or what types of goals do you look to have in a good game?

Chapter Six deals with the game beginning with an idea, and how to continue from that idea. Do any brainstorming or problem solving techniques work better for you? Do any specific game building problems come to mind when reading this?

This sounds like a great book. I like the author’s blog about things he has finished. I wish you the best of success working in video games or filmmaking GameBuilder15. Thanks again for a fantastic interview.

Flag Post

I actually just got the book from the library, but I’ve had it for about a month now. I wouldn’t be surprised if I end up buying it. I already bought the Deck of Lenses.

Had you ever thought of video games in relation to board games, athletic games, or card games before this book?

Actually, not really. Personally, I really am not a fan of sports.

What are some of the “lenses” or perspectives you relied on before coming across this book, and how has that changed since then?

Before I got the book, I pretty much just designed my games as I made them, which is not a good thing to do. I really didn’t put much thought into the design process.

One of the lenses is “The Lens of Flow.” The flow of a videogame as described by it’s goals. Are the goals clear? Is there anything distracting from the goals? Do the goals account for the player’s improving skills? Do you judge the flow of a game by it’s goals, other benchmarks, or what types of goals do you look to have in a good game?

I really like when games have clear goals, but I wouldn’t say I judge the flow of a game by its goals alone. I like games with goals like…Get the most kills.

Chapter Six deals with the game beginning with an idea, and how to continue from that idea. Do any brainstorming or problem solving techniques work better for you? Do any specific game building problems come to mind when reading this?

The brainstorming section of the book was really, really great. I like how Jesse Schell says to write down everything that pops into your head and do stuff like stand on your chair to get ideas.

This sounds like a great book. I like the author’s blog about things he has finished. I wish you the best of success working in video games or filmmaking GameBuilder15. Thanks again for a fantastic interview.

It really is a great book. (By the way, I told Jay Armstrong about it and he bought it. xD)

I’d like to add that my second cousin (who’s an animator) works for Schell Games, and it’s because of him that I got into Flash. I used to make movies in Flash 5 when I was about 8 years old. I saw my second cousin recently (he lives in Pittsburgh so I don’t see him much), and he told me about The Art of Game Design.

Thanks for interviewing me, Jesse. This was fun! :D

And DarkRainyKnight, is the game you used to play Sesame Street: Get Set to Learn? I used to play that… xD

Flag Post

Props, GB! This is your first step towards World Domination…