Forums Kongregate

Ending the tipping program

89 posts

Flag Post

Hey all—

I wanted to let you know that Kongregate is discontinuing its developer tipping program (the ability for users to give devs kreds without any in-game reward). The tipping tool will be removed from game pages on December 1, 2012.

Basically, very few people were tipping, and a substantial percentage of the tips were fraudulent. The system was expensive to maintain, largely because of the complexity involved (tax implications, support for developers all around the world). We were also always on the lookout for possible money laundering. There have also been times when we wanted to do kreds as prizes or giveaways but weren’t able to, due to the issues listed above.

We do still want people to be able to support developers, though! So we’re going to allow developers to provide their Paypal information; players will be allowed to make payments directly to the developer, provided they don’t receive any in-game goods or advantages. This also has the advantage of not being subject to Kongregate’s minimum payout restrictions.

/srsbsns Resume your usual shenanigans. Also, here’s a picture of some baby guinea pigs posed in a preposterous way:

 
Flag Post

Aw. :(

 
Flag Post

So what happens to any tips a developer has ‘saved’ which haven’t reached the threshold yet?

 
Flag Post

From the thread in the Game Programming forum

Originally posted by Ace_Blue:

“This change was necessitated due to the low volume of tips given by users” Gotta love that. So they went out of their way to hide the tip jar as much as they could, and then they remove it because almost nobody uses it.

 
Flag Post

Bah. Guess the games tipped section really is done for. I liked having that there. Oh well, at least it’s still possible to donate to devs.

 
Flag Post

You could replace the tipping button with a ‘thank developer’ button.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Gevock:

You could replace the tipping button with a ‘thank developer’ button.

Not a bad idea. :O

Alright though, thanks for the update.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Cj10203040:

So what happens to any tips a developer has ‘saved’ which haven’t reached the threshold yet?

Great question. We’re going to be paying out all the tips; the developers will be getting an email about it.

Edit: Don’t forget to fill out the payment and tax information! Check out the email if you’re confused.

Originally posted by Gevock:

You could replace the tipping button with a ‘thank developer’ button.

Hmmmm……

 
Flag Post

That’s incredibly disappointing. Not entirely surprising, but still very disappointing.

 
Flag Post

This fucking sucks.

Now I have to have PayPal in order to tip?

Edit: Now developers will be even more encouraged to add shitty premium content to their games. Also, I figure people will be holding onto their Kreds more now than using them because the only way to spend them is through shitty premium content.

Edit 2: This should really open the floodgates for those awful awful MMO “games” that require premium content purchases to make any sort of progress.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkRainyKnight:

This fucking sucks.

Now I have to have PayPal in order to tip?

Edit: Now developers will be even more encouraged to add shitty premium content to their games. Also, I figure people will be holding onto their Kreds more now than using them because the only way to spend them is through shitty premium content.

Edit 2: This should really open the floodgates for those awful awful MMO “games” that require premium content purchases to make any sort of progress.

Honestly, that is probably part of the reason they are making the switch.
 
Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:

Originally posted by Gevock:

You could replace the tipping button with a ‘thank developer’ button.

Hmmmm……

Any idea how easy it would be for the Kongregate developers?
Developers (whether they work for Kongregate or stand alone) do deserve it!

 
Flag Post

So developers have to create a Paypal account to receive donations for their games? That’s not fair :c

 
Flag Post

I don’t understand. How does removing the tip function open the floodgates for premium content games? Tricky already said that the number of legitimate tips was incredibly low as it is, so it’s not like the MMO developers are going to miss out on a ton of money all of a sudden.

Plus Tricky said that the PayPal would only be for people donating and wouldn’t be allowed if people were purchasing anything.

So, what exactly about this is going to create a massive influx of premium content games?

 
Flag Post

It’s amazing how nobody has commented on how darn cute those guinea pigs are.

<333333333333333

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Fricknmaniac:

I don’t understand. How does removing the tip function open the floodgates for premium content games? Tricky already said that the number of legitimate tips was incredibly low as it is, so it’s not like the MMO developers are going to miss out on a ton of money all of a sudden.

Plus Tricky said that the PayPal would only be for people donating and wouldn’t be allowed if people were purchasing anything.

So, what exactly about this is going to create a massive influx of premium content games?

There had to be some people that got decent money from tips despite it being “incredibly low” and if removing the Tip Jar takes away that income then wouldn’t the next available option be to create premium content? I’m not talking about the big MMO developers, I’m talking about lesser known developers.

I meant that I don’t see many people that were tippers dealing with PayPal just to donate Kreds to their favorite developers. And on the other hand, developers sharing their PayPal just to receive tips. Especially if the tips were “incredibly low” already.

 
Flag Post

Not really.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by eProdigy:

It’s amazing how nobody has commented on how darn cute those guinea pigs are.

<333333333333333

They’re beau-tea-full. :3

 
Flag Post

i c wut u dun did thare

 
Flag Post

If you’re saying this “opens the floodgates for premium content” you don’t know what you are talking about. AFAIK there is no AS API for Paypal, and no way to track tips. Not to mention it was already extremely easy for premium content to be added anyways.

 
Flag Post

Aaand now Kreds are officially worthless.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by Pokerhappy:

Aaand now Kreds are officially worthless.

Pretty much. I haven’t figured out what to do with mine yet. :s

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:
Originally posted by Pokerhappy:

Aaand now Kreds are officially worthless.

Pretty much. I haven’t figured out what to do with mine yet. :s

Give them to me.

Or just spend them before the deadline.

 
Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:
Originally posted by Pokerhappy:

Aaand now Kreds are officially worthless.

Pretty much. I haven’t figured out what to do with mine yet. :s

Same. Considering prem content in single player games won’t last me too long usually, and prem content in multiplayer is usually a waste on consumables, I just don’t spend.

 
Flag Post

Considering prem content in single player games won’t last me too long usually.

Yeah, but how much does that premium content cost? Five dollars? I’m sure you buy stuff IRL that costs that much that lasts just as long. Why not online as well?