Forums Kongregate

If you are having Kongregate problems, try this.

27 posts

Flag Post

Last night our DNS provider failed. We have fixed the root problem, and will be switching to a more reliable provider.

Because DNS is cached, you may still experience problems connecting to Kongregate, depending on what your DNS server is.

Google operates a free public DNS server, and it has correct entries for Kongregate. If you want to switch to using it, here’s how to do it:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Flag Post

Good job on saving the day! Hopefully, the new DNS provider will make the website more stable; we’ve had more downtimes than usual as of the last few months.

Flag Post

I’m currently using the forums via my phone, on the mobile website. That’s working fine for me. That link you suggested isn’t working for me, and I’m still unable to connect to kongregate on my computer. Any other ideas?

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheIcyHeart:

I’m currently using the forums via my phone, on the mobile website. That’s working fine for me. That link you suggested isn’t working for me, and I’m still unable to connect to kongregate on my computer. Any other ideas?

Do you get a “www.kongregate.com could not be found” error?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

Do you get a “www.kongregate.com could not be found” error?

Yes. It says “The server at www.kongregate.com can’t be found because the DNS look-up failed.”

I’m using Google Chrome by the way, not sure if that’s important or not.

Flag Post

Thought so. Clear your cache.

Flag Post

Ok, I’ve cleared cache, now it just says “Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.kongregate.com”

Flag Post
Originally posted by MadJedi:

Good job on saving the day! Hopefully, the new DNS provider will make the website more stable; we’ve had more downtimes than usual as of the last few months.

DNS providers are essentially address-book providers. So basically, they map your domain name (kongregate.com) to the IP address stuff is coming from (75.98.92.205) for example. So that’s why you saw pages failing to do anything last night. The domain name text was not connected to the IP address of Kongs servers. Most down time seems to come when Kong’s servers are overloaded or they’re updating the site. In those cases you’ll see diff rent failure behavior such as super-slow page loads or an actual kongregate error page.

That being said, it’s possible Kong has had DNS issues in the past, but I haven’t personally noticed anything that has been indicative of that.

Flag Post

Ok, I’ve cleared cache, now it just says “Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.kongregate.com”

Weird. :-/

Flag Post

Weird. :-/

Problem probably is that the DNS cache isn’t stored in the same place as the regular web cache.

A couple things that might help:

• Try going to this (chrome://net-internals/#dns) URL in chrome and clicking the clear hosts cache button.

• Also try opening up a Command Prompt (search for cmd on windows) and type ipconfig /flushdns and press enter.

Flag Post

i ask for an eta resoltion and my post gets deleted- lol

cache this.

Flag Post

The site works now, its just missing images for the user Avatars now.
Also good thing I checked Kong’s twitter acc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jimgreer:

Last night our DNS provider failed. We have fixed the root problem, and will be switching to a more reliable provider.

Because DNS is cached, you may still experience problems connecting to Kongregate, depending on what your DNS server is.

Google operates a free public DNS server, and it has correct entries for Kongregate. If you want to switch to using it, here’s how to do it:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

I followed this guide and applied the google public DNS and now everything is working again. thanks soooooooooooo much !! even the lag is gone… it’s like a whole new game. Awesome!

Flag Post

I am using OpenDNS now from the time I figured out Kongregate had a DNS issue.

Flag Post

Wait, how much money will the old providers lose? Poor guys D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tomatoman:

Wait, how much money will the old providers lose? Poor guys D:

Bad service = loss of customers

1/5, they deserve it.

Flag Post

Everything is working perfectly now, thank you Jim.

Flag Post

Good thing I got the medium badge in LoTS yesterday.

Flag Post

If your Kongregate isn’t working, you could always try… Going outside and getting some fresh air!

What is fresh air, you ask? It’s that invisible stuff outside. What’s outside, you ask? You know. That place normal people go.

Flag Post

Well, am from France, and everything is okay, except that I can’t connect to chat :

“Chat connection failed!”
Hope it will be solved soon.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MaistlinRajere:

If your Kongregate isn’t working, you could always try… Going outside and getting some fresh air!

What is fresh air, you ask? It’s that invisible stuff outside. What’s outside, you ask? You know. That place normal people go.

I wasn’t normal before it was cool. ;D

Thanks for the heads up, Jim.

Flag Post

What I don’t get is I checked went for the first time and checked Kongregates Twitter/Facebook pages and I didn’t see anything on it.
Why?

I don’t think it’d be hard to just give a little notice out.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zachary_Greene:

What I don’t get is I checked went for the first time and checked Kongregates Twitter/Facebook pages and I didn’t see anything on it.
Why?

I don’t think it’d be hard to just give a little notice out.

There are posts there.

http://www.facebook.com/kongregate (Find the panda.)

http://twitter.com/kongregate

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:
There are posts there.

http://www.facebook.com/kongregate

Find the panda.

Oh, there are.
Maybe I was just too early for the post seeing as I only checked once.
Or maybe I just skipped it all together…

Flag Post

OH! So that’s what happened! It was odd that this was the only site I couldn’t work.