Forums Kongregate

Changes to the Collabs section

257 posts

Flag Post

Hey all— Starting with today’s deployment, we have begun gradually disabling the Collabs section by removing the ability to upload new art and music. We’ll be leaving everything up until after the new year, to give everyone plenty of time to download their stuff* and move it to another site; after that, we’ll disable the section and none of the works will be accessible.

Why are we doing this? Well, basically, our goal is to have Kongregate be truly excellent at all the things it does. We’ve been looking at various aspects of the site and asking ourselves if they are awesome. If they aren’t awesome, we’re having to decide whether we want to try to make them awesome. Obviously, some things are going to get improved significantly (like all the room mod features); other things (like tipping) are going to be discontinued. Our forum about The Arts will remain, though, so you’ll still be able to post links to your work and get feedback from other kongfolks.

*A note about downloading: If your uploaded them as “all rights reserved” it’s not currently possible to download them. Whoops! In the next deployment, we’ll fix it so that the person who uploaded them can download them regardless of the settings. At that point, we’ll whisper or email everyone who uploaded works to the section, so they’ll have plenty of notice.

I’m sure y’all have questions that I didn’t answer, so go ahead and ask them!

Flag Post

I’m sure y’all have questions that I didn’t answer, so go ahead and ask them!

What are the next winning Powerball numbers?

Flag Post

I’m not sharing! <3

Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:

I’m not sharing! <3

Greedy little hamster! You don’t need all $500M. Surely you can share?

On a serious note, I’m confused how disabling the Collabs makes Kong more excellent.

Can you please explain?

Are the Collabs used so infrequently?

Flag Post

It’s that we want every aspect of the site to be excellent. Collabs, sadly, is not excellent. It’s used by a very small percentage of people, and the tools are pretty clunky. Considering that it’s not a natural fit for what Kongregate is about (social gaming), it makes sense to focus our energies on improving the social and gaming aspects, and encourage folks to use other sites for sharing their art and music.

Flag Post

IMO, it’s a logical, albeit disappointing decision. I was just talking to some people about how it’s a feature of the site that I always intended to pay more attention to, but never found myself actually doing (and I’m not alone in that, from what I hear). At least they’re maintaining the discussion area, so people can still share and show off their work.

Flag Post

Well, I guess that makes sense. I’ll still be disappointed though :’(

Thanks for elaborating, RockyTrident.

Flag Post

You’re totally welcome. :-)

Flag Post

Good job at hiding the collabs at best as possible, and then complaining about little useage.

Understandable.
Sad, but understandable.

Flag Post

So, for the people who have uploaded, when everything is taken off, will there still be a section on our profiles that way we ever submitted? Or will that disappear also (which is the logical thing to do)?

Flag Post

All references to Arts and Sounds (Collabs) will get scrubbed from the site. This includes links to Arts and Sounds from the community drop down menu, links from profiles, etc.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

All references to Arts and Sounds (Collabs) will get scrubbed from the site. This includes links to Arts and Sounds from the community drop down menu, links from profiles, etc.

You know it’s serious when a word like “scrubbed” gets used. :o

Agreed with Taiboss, it is sad, but it is necessary and understandable.

Flag Post

Quickly, let’s have fun with the Arts and Sounds section while we can! Rate all the top works down. Now, rate all the goofier ones 5/5. Let’s push the odd works to the top in total anarchy! >:D

Plus, this way you’ll be able to grab some easy ratings points while they last.

Flag Post

So why are we taking out the Collabs again? I’m pretty sure Collabs is pretty awesome.

Flag Post

And improving the collabs is not an option? I’ve always thought it was a very cool feature of the site.

Flag Post

The metrics showing the amount of activity that section gets don’t justify the amount of manpower they’d have to dedicate to improving it noticeably.

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

The metrics showing the amount of activity that section gets don’t justify the amount of manpower they’d have to dedicate to improving it noticeably.

Yeah I guess you’re right. Sad to see it go.

Flag Post

Think of it this way.

Say Collabs explodes in popularity and becomes a big enough part of Kongregate to challenge the social gaming. Suddenly Kongregate is in an identity crisis. They can’t ignore the Collabs, but their roots are in social gaming. Which do they commit the necessary focus and resources to ensure success? Who is their competition? Is it Armor Games or deviant art and Sound Cloud?

Flag Post

No crazy users ranting for multiple posts? No loud obnoxious arguments going nowhere? Oh internet, I’m so proud of you so far. ♥

Not saying there’s anything wrong with having a dissenting opinion! It’s just been done so civilly in this thread it makes me happy!

Flag Post

@adv0catus: They could distribute their efforts evenly between both halves of the website. They would be the only website to have excellence in both fields, even if there are websites that are even more excellent in an individual field alone. It will be a great attractive.

I guess this is why you guys heavily diminished the space for Arts & Sounds in people’s profiles (is it completely gone?), you guys knew it beforehand! Regardless, I would like to know why you can’t keep it up. I would say it’s better to have a choppy feature than not have it at all – it’s such a small part of the website that it won’t make it look as if the website is not excellent in what it does.
Good thing you guys will be making a new Collabs section, though!

Note: If you want to download your “All Rights Reserved” work you can use the magical Print Screen button! Voilà!

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

No crazy users ranting for multiple posts? No loud obnoxious arguments going nowhere? Oh internet, I’m so proud of you so far. ♥

Not saying there’s anything wrong with having a dissenting opinion! It’s just been done so civilly in this thread it makes me happy!

Don’t jinx it :-P

Flag Post
Originally posted by BobTheCoolGuy:

I OBJECT!

Yeah, we’ll miss the Collabs but I’m fine with seeing them go.

Flag Post

Yeah, I have to say that the collabs sections doesn’t really have much purpose. It’s sorta cool to have, but anyone who’s serious about their art and/or music already has it uploaded to another website, so why bother uploading it to a flash game site? I’m a fairly serious video game composer, and whenever I want to point someone to a sample of my work, I post a link to my website, not the collabs section. I’ve seen other people do the same thing or link to soundcloud to show samples of their music. After all, wasn’t part of the original purpose of the collabs section to provide a space for people who are, Idk, collaborating? :-P Now that it isn’t used for that much at all, does it really have a purpose on a social gaming site?

Flag Post

This is sad news, but I can see why they’re doing it. At least there’s always DeviantArt!
I’ll be spending the next couple of hours admiring as much art and music I can.

I would love for there to be compensation for the removal of the Arts & Sounds section. Perhaps the lovable admins can come up with a totally new section that would be used much more than Arts & Sounds.

Flag Post

i’m going to miss the Collabs.