Forums Kongregate

Changes to the Collabs section page 9

257 posts

Flag Post

Tipping developers for games you like isn’t awesome?

Flag Post
Originally posted by benodoc:

I fail to see what this has to do with anything, but the tipping system was removed for very real, legitimate and legal reasons. Just think, if the tipping system was still in place, then the current 5 kreds + 20 points promotion wouldn’t exist.

Flag Post

This is my first forum post… I’ve been on Kong for quite a while now, using different accounts….

Somewhere earlier in this thread someone said that those sections were a place to congregate interdisciplinarily. I fully agree with this and just stumbled across this thread when I was just about to upload some of my music. The concept of a ‘real’ social gaming/flash site won’t work… People in my university started digging kong because of all the stuff it had to offer apart from games. Badges are cool, so is chatting and all this socializing stuff, but coming from a time when NG was in its baby shoes, I can say that a lot of people will say goodbye to this site once you put out all those nifty little extra features. Aside from being a complete flash game addict, the ability to upload my creative output is what kept me on NG, although that site also got a lot worse… I like the concept of kong, the looks and feels… But, and I can not stress this enough, it’s called KONGREGATE, so let us congregate and share our works, find new collaborators, have new input, create awesome projects with awesome people… Don’t make this site a shitty miniclip copy… There’s too many of them already…

In love
A pissed of user

Flag Post

“I fail to see what this has to do with anything, but the tipping system was removed for very real, legitimate and legal reasons. Just think, if the tipping system was still in place, then the current 5 kreds + 20 points promotion wouldn’t exist.”

Also, it’d be nice if someone could explain this to me… I also don’t see why developers shouldn’t be rewarded (or at least able to be rewarded) for their work… I see there might be some legal trouble involved, but it could always run under a freelance label… no tax…

Oh, and on a sidenote, how do you quote?

Flag Post

Oh, and on a sidenote, how do you quote?

There’s a “Quote post” button to the left of each post. Or if you just want to quote part of a post, you can copy/paste that part and put “bq.” before it (as I did with your post).

But, and I can not stress this enough, it’s called KONGREGATE, so let us congregate and share our works, find new collaborators, have new input, create awesome projects with awesome people…

That’s what the Collaborations forum is for. Also, according to the admins, the Arts and Sounds were removed because virtually no one was using them for this purpose.

Also, it’d be nice if someone could explain this to me… I also don’t see why developers shouldn’t be rewarded (or at least able to be rewarded) for their work… I see there might be some legal trouble involved, but it could always run under a freelance label… no tax…

Because there is no limit to the number of alternate accounts a person may create, there is no limit to the number of Kreds that a person can get from promotions such as the one described above. If those Kreds could be used for tipping, then Kong would stand to lose a lot of money from the promotion. However, since they can’t (and you can’t really buy anything with 5 Kreds), for anyone to spend those Kreds, they would have to buy more Kreds from Kong before being able to use them, thus making the promotion profitable.

Flag Post
Originally posted by racefan12:

Because there is no limit to the number of alternate accounts a person may create, there is no limit to the number of Kreds that a person can get from promotions such as the one described above. If those Kreds could be used for tipping, then Kong would stand to lose a lot of money from the promotion. However, since they can’t (and you can’t really buy anything with 5 Kreds), for anyone to spend those Kreds, they would have to buy more Kreds from Kong before being able to use them, thus making the promotion profitable.

But, Z does have a good point:

Originally posted by Zshadow:

Not true. I know at least one game that has purchase options for 5 Kreds or less (TDP4).

This is a new thing we are trying, and I think many will agree free Kreds are better than free points. We’d like to continue to do these.

Flag Post

I haven’t been on Kongregate for a while since I’m more focused on making youtube videos, but do you think that Kong might ever reopen the collabs section tricky? Cause if not I’m probably not goig to go back to kong in a couple of decades.

Flag Post
Originally posted by wasabi11:

I can’t see that happening, since all the data is being deleted.

Flag Post

Uhhh, what’s happening to all the ratings? The top rated song is rated 6.00…that’s not possible?

Flag Post
Originally posted by I_love_you_lots:

Uhhh, what’s happening to all the ratings? The top rated song is rated 6.00…that’s not possible?

HA! Out of 5 stars max, some songs are rated 5.67

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

I fail to see what this has to do with anything, but the tipping system was removed for very real, legitimate and legal reasons. Just think, if the tipping system was still in place, then the current 5 kreds + 20 points promotion wouldn’t exist.

How in the name of Lucifer did you come to THAT conclusion? And why should I be excited about 5 kreds…I don’t think that’s even enough to tip a developer to begin with.

Flag Post

How in the name of Lucifer did you come to THAT conclusion?

Direct quote from an administrator:

…now that the tipping program has ended, there’s less chance of farming Kreds so you can expect to see more sponsorships revolving around free Kreds (or at least that’s what we hope!)

And why should I be excited about 5 kreds…I don’t think that’s even enough to tip a developer to begin with.

5 kreds is enough for some games, and can put others with existing kreds over the minimum for spending in other games. Besides, it wasn’t just about this one-time offer of 5 kreds. The point is that kred offers have less obstacles blocking them from being implemented more often. 5 here, 5 there, maybe 10 another time… they can add up. So far I think I’ve gotten 25 free kreds from Kong promotions (not the TrialPay offers).

Flag Post
Originally posted by IceWeaselX:

How in the name of Lucifer did you come to THAT conclusion?

Direct quote from an administrator:

…now that the tipping program has ended, there’s less chance of farming Kreds so you can expect to see more sponsorships revolving around free Kreds (or at least that’s what we hope!)

And why should I be excited about 5 kreds…I don’t think that’s even enough to tip a developer to begin with.

5 kreds is enough for some games, and can put others with existing kreds over the minimum for spending in other games. Besides, it wasn’t just about this one-time offer of 5 kreds. The point is that kred offers have less obstacles blocking them from being implemented more often. 5 here, 5 there, maybe 10 another time… they can add up. So far I think I’ve gotten 25 free kreds from Kong promotions (not the TrialPay offers).

Believe it or not some of us have 0 interest in paying for premium shit/‘full versions’ on flash game. I got kreds purely for supporting the devs that make good games (which perhaps ironically almost never have any pay2win economy behind them). So now I have 120 kreds on my account that are just going to waste away now .. Seriously kong never even offered to reimburse those kreds. So I reiterate, what is so cool about bait and switch schemes?

Flag Post

Believe it or not some of us have 0 interest in paying for premium shit/‘full versions’ on flash game. I got kreds purely for supporting the devs that make good games and don’t pull that crap. So now I have 120 kreds on my account that are just going to waste away now .. Seriously kong never even offered to reimburse those kreds. So I reiterate, what is so cool about bait and switch schemes?

They announced far ahead of time that they were removing the system, you had ample time to spend them wherever you wanted. Besides, there are many games coming out now, single player and multiplayer, that have additional content for Kreds, so you if you enjoy any of those games or developers you can donate that way.

Flag Post
Originally posted by 123aaa789:

They announced far ahead of time that they were removing the system, you had ample time to spend them wherever you wanted.

Specifically, the announcement was back on November 1st. There was a full month to spend your kreds if you only wanted to tip people, since the removal occurred on December 3rd. If you didn’t spend your kreds on tips then, you’ve still got the option to spend them on future games if you somehow change your mind about premium content (because premium and good are not mutually exclusive).

Furthermore, if you want to continue supporting individual developers, there’s nothing stopping you from contacting them. Kongregate has also decided to allow developers to supply PayPal information.

Originally posted by trickyrodent:

We do still want people to be able to support developers, though! So we’re going to allow developers to provide their Paypal information; players will be allowed to make payments directly to the developer, provided they don’t receive any in-game goods or advantages. This also has the advantage of not being subject to Kongregate’s minimum payout restrictions.

Flag Post

They announced far ahead of time that they were removing the system, you had ample time to spend them wherever you wanted.

Specifically, the announcement was back on November 1st. There was a full month to spend your kreds if you only wanted to tip people, since the removal occurred on December 3rd.

One wonders why such things aren’t announced/posted in the Kongregate News tho.
Many many users completely avoid the forums, having an updated News site and linking it on the mainpage would make sure everyone is aware of such changes to the site.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Thyrael:

Specifically, the announcement was back on November 1st. There was a full month to spend your kreds if you only wanted to tip people, since the removal occurred on December 3rd.

One wonders why such things aren’t announced/posted in the Kongregate News tho.
Many many users completely avoid the forums, having an updated News site and linking it on the mainpage would make sure everyone is aware of such changes to the site.

This. Apparently -1 months is ‘ample’ time to find a decent game to donate to. Sadly time is not an absolute value. And unfortunately paypal doesn’t take ‘kreds’, so Kongregate/Gamestop has effectively scammed me out of 10 dollars that should have gone to the very developers that make this site successful in the first place.

Some of you don’t seem to understand, there is a huge difference between DONATING and BUYING goods and services. It’s an important distinction, because some of us actually like to support developers just for doing a good job.

Flag Post

Considering virtual goods have no “real” worth, buying something in-game is identical to just donating, it’s different than buying vs. donating in real life.

Flag Post

This thread has gotten so derailed. :s

Flag Post

This. Apparently -1 months is ‘ample’ time to find a decent game to donate to. Sadly time is not an absolute value. And unfortunately paypal doesn’t take ‘kreds’, so Kongregate/Gamestop has effectively scammed me out of 10 dollars that should have gone to the very developers that make this site successful in the first place.

Some of you don’t seem to understand, there is a huge difference between DONATING and BUYING goods and services. It’s an important distinction, because some of us actually like to support developers just for doing a good job.

It sounds like any amount of time would’ve been too short for your liking. A month is a lot of time. When people leave their jobs, the standard courtesy period for informing their employers is 2 weeks. Planning for the loss of an employee involves a much larger financial responsibility than 120 kreds.

Flag Post

It sounds like any amount of time would’ve been too short for your liking. A month is a lot of time. When people leave their jobs, the standard courtesy period for informing their employers is 2 weeks. Planning for the loss of an employee involves a much larger financial responsibility than 120 kreds.

Did you not notice the negative, or did you just drop out of elementary school? It’s only an absolute value if you put it between two vertical bars. Furthermore, technically I received no notice whatsoever. So your ridiculous comparison isn’t even applicable.

As for virtual goods having no value, that is incorrect. Otherwise free to play MMOs wouldn’t be making shitloads of money right now. Not to mention games like Second life, Diablo 3, etc etc etc.

Flag Post

Did you not notice the negative, or did you just drop out of elementary school? It’s only an absolute value if you put it between two vertical bars. Furthermore, technically I received no notice whatsoever. So your ridiculous comparison isn’t even applicable.

That’s mature. Just because you personally didn’t see the public notice does not mean it was not a public notice. While I agree with Thyrael that it should have been posted in a more “official location” than a forum thread, it was still posted in a place where it had thousands of views. It was also discussed in other forums and in chats. While there weren’t as many vocal dissenters as the arts anti-removal crowd, there were still people upset about it. If you had no idea it was happening, then you probably weren’t paying attention.

Flag Post
Furthermore, technically I received no notice whatsoever. So your ridiculous comparison isn’t even applicable.

Unless there was some mistake (and I hadn’t heard of any regarding this), and since you have art uploaded to the section, if you check your PM’s you should see one from Kongregate sometime in mid-December explaining the situation and notifying you that the section was going to be removed.

Flag Post

So…will curators also vanish along with the collabs?

Flag Post

Yes.