Forums Kongregate

Apocalypse Nao! (Winners announced...finally!) page 7

396 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Rolby:

legend of pandora is shit. this is the worst badged game ever. delete the badges or i will not earn those badges. period.

I guess you aren’t earning these badges.

Flag Post

I neither enjoy it, nor hate it. It feels like work.

That said, it’s still a suitable badge game. I’m not sure it was 4-badge worthy, but that’s just me being picky.

Flag Post

It seems considerate that for the amount of time required to get the badges, you get 80 points for your troubles.

Flag Post

It’s a game that has so much potential and at it’s core is a great game, but there are so many minor things that just drag the game down. The horrible balance of weapons and monsters, the potential to get an impossible situation and lose all of your progress on a save file, the lack of a load game button on the main screen, holding a perpendicular direction when changing screens sends you back to the previous screen. All minor things, or low chance of occurring things, but all of them take away from the game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

Well, thank god it happened only after about an hour, but still… really bad game design. Really bad.

Thanks to your horrible misfortune, I was able to plan ahead and stock up on a million antidotes and focus on leveling life over everything else.

Flag Post

I don’t think the game’s so bad. Haven’t played it all the way through yet, but I’d say it’s one of the better Zelda rip-offs.

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

I don’t think the game’s so bad. Haven’t played it all the way through yet, but I’d say it’s one of the better Zelda rip-offs.

The same for me. It could have been a lot worse. A lot better, but a lot worse.

Flag Post

Someone tell me when they’re gonna balance the impossible poison situation so I can play that game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by CowFriend:

Someone tell me when they’re gonna balance the impossible poison situation so I can play that game.

If they haven’t already… they’re probably not going to.

Flag Post
Originally posted by devourer359:

Edit: Aw, they ripped off the monsters from LoZ too.

And the portraits from RPGMaker.

The game uploader agreement says “the Developer Materials, including code, visual, and musical elements do not infringe on the rights of any third party, including any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret or other intellectual property right, or any right of privacy or publicity”. How did a game with many sprites pulled from commercial games with recolors and/or minor edits get badges? I’m playing through it just to see how many Link’s Awakening sprites it’s jacked.

Flag Post

I’m sure it’s kosher because they’ve previously not badge’d games because of copyright concerns.

Flag Post

We certainly need a permanent Apocalypse Nao! quest after the event finishes.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bluji:

We certainly need a permanent Apocalypse Nao! quest after the event finishes.

I agree.
Also, finished up Legends of Pandora earlier. It wasn’t awful, besides the enemies taking too long to kill, even with the strongest weapon.

Flag Post

Did you guys message the developer directly about the enemies taking too long to kill? It seems like something that could be changed fairly easily by adjusting weapon damage, and if it really is a serious problem for the game then I’m sure any developer would be glad to make the improvement.

Flag Post
Originally posted by poisonthewell:

well i got board and finished game.

Plank you very much for sharing that. I know the feeling, though. I’ve been lumbering around all night.

Flag Post

The combat system pushed me away after around 25 kills. Which was a convenient number.

Click… wait while featureless enemy gets knocked back… click… wait again… click… wait… repeat a dozen times. Receive a cold, empty feeling that you just wasted 20 seconds of your life and 12 taps of one of the keys for 1 experience point. Walk a few pixels to the left. Click… wait… click… wait…

Papa game level of tedium, a height which few games manage to reach.

Flag Post

The first thing I did was spend every point I got on getting additional experience for kills, so I had that maxed out early on, and was getting far more experience per kill, which makes getting further much easier. By the end, I was getting well over 100 experience a kill, and dealing over 500 damage a hit (since I leveled up much quicker and spent most points on damage), which made the game relatively quick to get through (probably only 3-4 hours of total time put in). Overall a fun game, but there was a lack of proper instructions at times.

Flag Post

I already found two ways of getting into walls (once you do, you can take a step to any walkable space adjacent to it, so you can glitch to the other side):

1. push a rock by its edge. You can clip through the wall adjecent to the rock by that corner (you can do that accidentally too quite a lot. I just got stuck with no way back by doing this on that tree right next to the save after Stony Beach).

2. when you’re going to another screen, push a wall perpendicular to the direction you’re moving (so you get the bug that makes you go back a screen. When you go to another screen you seem to not have a hitbox for an instant, thus you can glitch into the wall a pixel every time, until you skip the wall hitbox entirely. You can do that to get out of bounds when swimming, or on many places, for example, there’s a point where you can glitch through a tree to get to that entrance on the main island of the cave you unlock at the end of Desert Island. VERY EARLY IN THE GAME.)

Flag Post

I put everything into strength and sword ability. And when the sword was maxed, I leveled up the axe and bought the zombie ripper. Didn’t have to hit any enemy more than about 1/2 a dozen times (certainly no more than 10). Health wasn’t really a problem because I was levelling up fairly often. You do need to use a sword for the final dungeon though, because the attack speed of the axe isn’t quick enough for those vampire (?) monsters. In retrospect, I’d recommend levelling up the axe first. The game was pretty good but it needed a boss battle, and all of those missions where you have to kill X amount of a certain creature reminded me of Castaway. Which is never a good thing.

Flag Post

Well, finally finished it. Ended up dealing around 420-475 a hit at the end. 328k gold and about 15k health.

So many things left to be desired about this game. The storyline felt disjointed, there seems to be no point playing anything other than melee, quest giver messages after finishing quests were generic and always the same thing, some quests were generic (e.g. kill x of y for z reward), rewards made absolutely no sense for the point at which you were in the game (a 15-40 damage weapon when I’m on doom island), no bosses, later enemies are re-skins with more HP, no noticeable defense stats, no ability to equip accessories when playing as an archer, endgame enemies seem to poison just a tad much, absolutely no enemies use an element besides nothing or poison, “cure for poison” is somehow universal for tarantulas and snakes (the venom is so very different), vampires in the final cave basically force you to use a sword, falling into water pre-swim manual scales with HP and can deal up to and exceeding 1k health depending how much you have, graphics look like they’re taken directly from Legend of Zelda, graphics look like they’re taken directly from RPG Maker, water looks like it’s taken right from Pokémon, no continue button on the main menu, sound levels do not save, skills take too long to become useful and rely on the user having prior knowledge (seriously, the changes in attack start happening once one gets a much more powerful weapon and the exp boost didn’t change a thing until say level 9 when the first version of the snake goes up by 1), feels very tedious, no real challenge involved besides the chance of being poisoned, ending is pretty clichéd.

That was a mouthful. Decent idea, terrible execution in my opinion. It went places I never wanted to return (Castaway).

Flag Post

Well if we’re being pedantic, a tarantula’s bite is not actually poisonous.

Flag Post

I’m not sure if anyone else did what I did for the final dungeon, but in the first room you can walk around in the area near that guy you talk to (before breaking any of the plants), and when you step on the right spot it’ll teleport you to the final area where you talk to the guy to complete the final quest (so in that little room to the left that probably takes a fair amount of time and effort to normally reach), so you skip the entire dungeon. Just felt like pointing that out to see if anyone else stumbled upon it.

Flag Post

No more challenges

Flag Post
Originally posted by LouWeed:

Well if we’re being pedantic, a tarantula’s bite is not actually poisonous.

Yes. Exactly. So there should be an anti-poison and an anti-venom. Y’know, just to make it more accurate.

Flag Post

What happened to todays badge? It still says its up for pandora which was fridays game.