Forums Kongregate

Kongregate Chat Rooms are starting to disappear.

28 posts

Flag Post

Digg Mark 1, Great Plains, Redditorium, Serenity, Sumptuous Gentlemens Brigade, The Bomb Shelter, The Flagpole, The Nanaverse…… all those chat rooms cant be found now… did they get deleted or something? And did I forget any other chats? Thanks

Flag Post

They were merged to other rooms due to the fact not as many users are chatting.

Flag Post

I am not surprised at Great Plains and Redditorium, they are always dead… but how is The Bomb Shelter or The Nanaverse considered a dead room, usually when I went there, it was active.. and if thats the case, how come Kongreddits not deleted, that room is always dead too

Flag Post

inb4’Kongisdying’

The site isn’t dying, or even seeing a decrease in traffic. Simply, with the recent chat changes, less people use it. Since there’s a few unowned rooms, a bit of consolidation was done.

Flag Post

Rooms can have highs and lows, so maybe you visited at the wrong (bad wording, eh) moment. Since the admins can see room statistics, they are more fit to objectively determine a room’s activity. After the update which made sure chat didn’t load for users unless they clicked the chat was put in place, rooms rarely reached, or even halved, the users cap. So many rooms were unnecessary, so the administration decided to merge some of them. If you think about it, someone could have the false impression that our community is inactive if they end up in a calm room. Kongregate is about gaming, but it’s also about social interaction, so it tries to show newcomers that the website can provide them an engaging community if they are interested.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

inb4’Kongisdying’

The site isn’t dying, or even seeing a decrease in traffic.

I realize this is off-topic, but since you brought it up…

An increase in accounts does not mean that Kong is not experiencing a decrease in traffic. Kong has not set a new record for users online in nearly 8 months, which is the longest such stretch in the site’s history. And although I don’t have any hard numbers on it, from what I’ve seen on the top bar, the average number of users on Kong at any given time has declined over the last few months.

EDIT:

After the update which made sure chat didn’t load for users unless they clicked the chat was put in place, rooms rarely reached, or even halved, the users cap. So many rooms were unnecessary, so the administration decided to merge some of them. If you think about it, someone could have the false impression that our community is inactive if they ended up in a calm room.

In theory, the only people who no longer showed up in chatrooms were the people who never used the chatrooms in the first place. So there shouldn’t have been a sudden increase in dead chatrooms simply because of that update. The fact that there were a bunch of dead chatrooms would seem to be indicative of a bigger trend.

Flag Post

Neither of us have access to internal statistics, so it’s rather pointless to speculate. I highly doubt that the people that do have access will post, anyways. However, I do want to say that I’ve noticed that as well, but it depends on how the number is tracked. If it’s based on the number of users in chat…

Flag Post

but it depends on how the number is tracked. If it’s based on the number of users in chat…

It’s not… you can add up the number of users shown in all the chatrooms and see that. (Alternately, you can note that there was roughly a 2/3 decrease in the number of users in the average chatroom, while the (perceived) drop in users online is nowhere near that severe.)

Flag Post

Are you including game rooms?

Flag Post

The Bomb Shelter is gone? Nooooo! That’s the first chat room I have ever been in. D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by WiiPlayer113:

The Bomb Shelter is gone? Nooooo! That’s the first chat room I have ever been in. D:

Don’t worry!
Any regulars there (if any), probably went to another room. :)
So I’m sure they’re still around.

Kongregate just sort of “consolidated” a few of the rooms. The ones that were dead and ownerless are better off gone anyway.

Flag Post

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Rooms are gone. The first mod who tries to smooth things out are VForVendetta.

None of her rooms have gone…and they’re extremely active.

And everyone who has started to wear space avvys by UG are part of Hourglass or Labyrinth.

I call Conspiracy Vendetta-UG. They’re destroying Kong, and mindwashing members!

Flag Post
Originally posted by VforVendetta:

Don’t worry!
Any regulars there (if any), probably went to another room. :)
So I’m sure they’re still around.

Kongregate just sort of “consolidated” a few of the rooms. The ones that were dead and ownerless are better off gone anyway.

Do you know what rooms those deleted rooms regs merged into, if they all merged into same one?

Flag Post

Each room’s regs were absorbed into a different room.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DragonArcherZ:

And everyone who has started to wear space avvys by UG are part of Hourglass or Labyrinth.

While I do respect the people of Lab and Hourglass, my home is still TRB, I just happened to like the way they looked, personally.

The fact of the matter is that there were so many rooms because they used to just throw everyone in chat regardless if they wanted to be there or not, so there would be a few hundred rooms with a few hundred people in them, whether or not they were active (that’s a big point there, rooms always had similar amounts of people but vastly different amounts of activity). Now that the amount of people in each room has drastically been reduced, due to the new way of putting people in, they’ve started to take the rooms that were always less active (or have since become less active), so there’s no reason to keep the amount of rooms around that there were before, since it’s just spreading out people a lot more than is necessary.

Just my theory anyways. Long story short, rooms had a cap before where it was bad to have more than a few hundred people (something like it stressed the servers way too much), so we needed so many rooms, regardless of activity, now we don’t need them.

Flag Post

Each room’s regs were absorbed into a different room.

Any random room, not to a specific room?

Flag Post

Rooms that were deemed to have a similar culture. I don’t recall specifics off-hand.

Flag Post

I believe the admins emailed people who had spent significant time in a room to be closed to let them know where to go. Fancy Adventurers With or Without Pants was the destination for Serenity.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bilious:

I believe the admins emailed people who had spent significant time in a room to be closed to let them know where to go. Fancy Adventurers With or Without Pants was the destination for Serenity.

and how come they chose that room, the admins I mean, randomized?

Flag Post

No, I volunteered it, on grounds that I used to go there a bit and I know Deadlyshot, who it was made for. Also some regs, though I don’t know if they were still regs by the time it got disappeared.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bilious:

No, I volunteered it, on grounds that I used to go there a bit and I know Deadlyshot, who it was made for. Also some regs, though I don’t know if they were still regs by the time it got disappeared.

Deadlyshot was never on though

Flag Post

And it had such a sweet name too

Flag Post

I think it’s just an overlooked part of the Apocalypse Nao event. Next, the forums will disappear and Jim Greer will be struck by a meteor as he tries to evacuate the Kong staff from the offices.

Flag Post
Originally posted by saybox:

I think it’s just an overlooked part of the Apocalypse Nao event. Next, the forums will disappear and Jim Greer will be struck by a meteor as he tries to evacuate the Kong staff from the offices.

Everything will be all right. :)
ALL HAIL HYPNOTOAD.

Flag Post

This is a little far back in the thread to quote but, yolo as the kids say.

Originally posted by racefan12:

inb4’Kongisdying’

The site isn’t dying, or even seeing a decrease in traffic.

I realize this is off-topic, but since you brought it up…

An increase in accounts does not mean that Kong is not experiencing a decrease in traffic. Kong has not set a new record for users online in nearly 8 months, which is the longest such stretch in the site’s history. And although I don’t have any hard numbers on it, from what I’ve seen on the top bar, the average number of users on Kong at any given time has declined over the last few months.

Ergo… KONG IS DYING GUIZ!!1